Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I gave up on getting subsidies as the tax benefit of doing Roth conversion now and saving 15% or more in taxes surpassed the benefit of subsidies for us. Our situation might be a bit unusual in that we can buy catastrophic coverage at a 40+% discount compared to a bronze plan.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 06:29 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I gave up on getting subsidies as the tax benefit of doing Roth conversion now and saving 15% or more in taxes surpassed the benefit of subsidies for us. Our situation might be a bit unusual in that we can buy catastrophic coverage at a 40+% discount compared to a bronze plan.
You are a smart man. My cell phone bill trying to deal with ACA is going to be near what the subsidy is this year.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:34 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
For the most part, except for serious emergencies, I agree. And in that case, treat me until I'm stable enough to be transported to a hospital in the network. If anything financial keeps me awake at night it's the thought of having a catastrophic emergency and being treated by out-of-network ER docs and others even in an in-network hospital -- and winding up with a large 5- or 6-figure "balance bill".
Makes me think they look for out-of-network people to assign to you since they will be able to gouge, and increase profits. Interestingly, when I was looking at the blurb from the Capital Blue Cross website, the section describing max out of pocket costs actually warned that your in-network doctor could request out-of-network doctors to assist in whatever you are having done, and that the out-of-network doctors' fees would not be covered and also would not apply to the oop max. Good to see the problem actually mentioned up front by an ins co blurb.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:46 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Makes me think they look for out-of-network people to assign to you since they will be able to gouge, and increase profits. Interestingly, when I was looking at the blurb from the Capital Blue Cross website, the section describing max out of pocket costs actually warned that your in-network doctor could request out-of-network doctors to assist in whatever you are having done, and that the out-of-network doctors' fees would not be covered and also would not apply to the oop max. Good to see the problem actually mentioned up front by an ins co blurb.
I find its usually the anesthesiologist or people like that where you get hosed by out of network... also over holidays you never know who they brought in to cover. I've had this issue 6 years ago when I had surgery. Its not on purpose, its just rotation and covering vacations.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #85
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
If the networks are getting more and more narrow, then whats happening to all the doctors that are no longer in the networks? Nobody can afford to go to a doctor that isnt in their network.
Its near impossible to sort this out. DD was on BCBSTX PPO this year which was discontinued and now they are only offering HMOs for 2016 that are expensive with higher deductibles and OOP max. Whats even more frustrating is trying to determine if your Drs are on the new HMO plans. BCBS has notes on the Dr search that this doctor is either joining or leaving the network. When you call the Dr, they say it depends on what your member ID code is, and some just say that they will not accept exchange plans. What every happened to if you like your plan you can keep it, and this will make healthcare more affordable
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
I find its usually the anesthesiologist or people like that where you get hosed by out of network... also over holidays you never know who they brought in to cover. I've had this issue 6 years ago when I had surgery. Its not on purpose, its just rotation and covering vacations.
But since they are the business, and they do this everyday, and we are the customers who (hopefully) rarely do any of this - they need to accommodate us. There should be some system in-place to assure you get in-network care if you made an honest attempt at it. If they switch things on us, it should be our problem.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
You are a smart man. My cell phone bill trying to deal with ACA is going to be near what the subsidy is this year.
Just got off the phone with them, trying to figure out why I'm getting the "You may lose your financial help" emails again. Had those earlier this year too, called, and was told not to worry about, everything looks good. I'm guessing the rep was empowered enough to click on a checkbox or something, and the emails went away - until now. So this time I called with similar expectations, but had different results. Rep says my income information is OK, but DW's isn't... Uh, it is combined income. Exact same info - IIRC in their process that is submitted before creating 'groups' for insurance plans (we have separate plans in 2015). Questioned that three times, got the same instructions to submit 'her' income info.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:59 AM   #88

Anyone know why premiums for bronze hsa's are generally higher than non-hsa plans?
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
Anyone know why premiums for bronze hsa's are generally higher than non-hsa plans?
I'd guess because HSA-eligible plans can't have an OOP maximum above $6,550 (single) or $13,100 (family), and some bronze plans have higher OOP maximums than that. So the ones with an OOP max too high to be eligible for an HSA are probably going to be the cheapest.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #90

Quote:
I found this, too. We've had HSA plans for the last 2 years and now they are more expensive than the non-HSA and that makes no sense.

For us this year the HSA plans are all $200-$300 more per month than comparable non-HSA ones.

I've been very happy with the ACA so far but this year our bronze choices are all HMOs and not HSA eligible.

Just shaking my head over how this has all changed in just 2 years.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #91

Quote:
I'd guess because HSA-eligible plans can't have an OOP maximum above $6,550 (single) or $13,100 (family), and some bronze plans have higher OOP maximums than that. So the ones with an OOP max too high to be eligible for an HSA are probably going to be the cheapest.
Thanks, If you have a couple where only one is getting ACA and the other on Medicare which OOP Max would apply single or family? I see a difference depending on the site I use. Healthsherpa vs gov site.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, If you have a couple where only one is getting ACA and the other on Medicare which OOP Max would apply single or family? I see a difference depending on the site I use. Healthsherpa vs gov site.
If only one person is going to be covered via Marketplace policy then you are buying a plan for one person, with the single person limits on deductibles and OOP maximums. You have to consider total household income for the purposes of subsidies/tax credits, even if only purchasing coverage for one person.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Its near impossible to sort this out. DD was on BCBSTX PPO this year which was discontinued and now they are only offering HMOs for 2016 that are expensive with higher deductibles and OOP max. Whats even more frustrating is trying to determine if your Drs are on the new HMO plans. BCBS has notes on the Dr search that this doctor is either joining or leaving the network. When you call the Dr, they say it depends on what your member ID code is, and some just say that they will not accept exchange plans. What every happened to if you like your plan you can keep it, and this will make healthcare more affordable

Just as an FYI, plans have been changing long before Obamacare... I used to approve the health plan during my last job... every year we would get a new proposal... some years it was almost the same, some there were lots of changes.... so the promise of 'if you like your plan you can keep it' was never going to happen....

Just sayin....

I do agree that finding if a doctor is in plan or not is horrible.... heck, they still list my old PCP as 'in plan' even thought she moved almost two years ago.... we also went to an opthamologist I had been going to for years.... they insisted they were part of my network... so, we went to our PCP to get a referral and lo and behold.... he is NOT in network... so even the Dr's office can give bad info.... and they had my insurance card to check....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #94

Quote:
If only one person is going to be covered via Marketplace policy then you are buying a plan for one person, with the single person limits on deductibles and OOP maximums. You have to consider total household income for the purposes of subsidies/tax credits, even if only purchasing coverage for one person.
Thanks again, Then healhsherpa gets it right and gov site doubles the oop max. That is what I thought too but wasn't sure since it was the gov site.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #95

Quote:
Single. The two sites get to single in different ways.

HC.gov: Enter all family members, check the Medicare box next to "other information" on one to subtract that member, and enter total household income.

HS.com: Enter only members who NEED ACA coverage (one) and enter total household income.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
Single. The two sites get to single in different ways.

HC.gov: Enter all family members, check the Medicare box next to "other information" on one to subtract that member, and enter total household income.

HS.com: Enter only members who NEED ACA coverage (one) and enter total household income.
This is in the Preview 2016 section.
I did select the medicare box but it also includes, job ...(below in bold)
Forgot to say it doubles the deductible too.
Other information
Eligible for health coverage through a job, Medicare, Medicaid, or CHIP

Healthsherpa does it right it asks for number of people (1) to be insured and then asks family size (2) and it doesn't double the deductables or the oop max.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #97
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just as an FYI, plans have been changing long before Obamacare... I used to approve the health plan during my last job... every year we would get a new proposal... some years it was almost the same, some there were lots of changes.... so the promise of 'if you like your plan you can keep it' was never going to happen....

Just sayin....

Yes, I realize that having been in a mega corp plan that had been pared back and made more expensive probably every year for the past 20 years or more. Nevertheless, the ACA was supposed change the acceleration in healthcare increases and make coverage more affordable for the masses.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Yes, I realize that having been in a mega corp plan that had been pared back and made more expensive probably every year for the past 20 years or more. Nevertheless, the ACA was supposed change the acceleration in healthcare increases and make coverage more affordable for the masses.
ACA has failed miserably at just abut everything except for making sure you can get insurance even with a pre-existing condition.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:51 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

This is my first full year on MegaCorp's retiree PPO Medicare supplement, and my wife and I pay the same $55 per month each.

We still have to purchase Part D medicine coverage in the open market, and it's gone up 100% this year. We'll be going on Medicare.gov's website to see what's the best plan for our state is.

My 28 year old daughter's BCBS Individual Blue healthcare policy (non-O'Bamacare) went from $253 to $290 including dental coverage. She's high maintenance on doctors and medicine so they're really losing $ on her.

I consider our family blessed to have the benefits we have--after reading all the horror stories online.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Utrecht: which if you didn't have as an option before could mean the difference between being wiped out financially or not

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote