Join Early Retirement Today

Fish Oil Capsules That Aren't "Fishy?"
Old 11-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fish Oil Capsules That Aren't "Fishy?"

Ugh. Does anyone take this stuff and not have fishy burps? Ew. I need a recommendation for a non-fishy fish oil. Thanks.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I tried the enteric coated ones that are supposed to dissolve further down your digestive tract to prevent fish smell or taste. But I had "evidence" that these weren't dissolving anywhere along the line so I switched to the regular ones. No fish taste and no one has complained about a fish smell. I got them at WalMart, Nature's Bounty I think.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #3

Sue--I also bought the WalMart capsules, only I got the ones that are fish oil, flax oil and borage oil combo. I don't know if I can handle 6 of them a day. I read on the Mayo Clinic site that the capsules can be taken frozen, which somehow helps the fishy burp thing. I think I'm going to buy some "better" ones from GNC that the dosage is one capsule per day.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #4

I use Nature-Made odorless fish oil soft-gels, and have had no problems at all.....I take two 1200mg per day. I buy mine at Walgreens, but they are available at several stores.

BTW, Walgreens normally has them for "buy one - get one free".
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:43 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Ugh. Does anyone take this stuff and not have fishy burps? Ew. I need a recommendation for a non-fishy fish oil. Thanks.
I take two Nature Made Liquid Softgel 1200 mg capsules daily -- the same as Goonie. I buy them at either Walgreens or Safeway and there are a lot of BOGOs. I have also used the Wal Mart ones also (Natures Bounty?) with no unusual side effects.

I have, however, found that fish oil like all oils have a relatively short shelf-life -- even encapsulated it is less than 18 months. It is easy to go overboard stockpiling when one finds a bargain and I have learned to avoid these sales because it is generally an inventory dump of "on-the-edge" product. (The above mentioned BOGOs are not inherently in this category.) An after-taste or unpleasant "burp" is a sign of rancidness and not indicative of a fresh product.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:51 AM   #6

If fish oil capsules are giving you problems try flax seeds to get your omega 3. In order to work the seeds must be ground however.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:55 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I use omegabrite from OmegaBrite Omega-3
It is more concentrated than a regular brand so you don't have to take as many. I never get fishy burps with this while I do with other garden variety brands I've tried.

This is from their site:
Scientifically Formulated by Doctors
60 per box
500mg easy to swallow capsules
Maximum Strength 90% Omega-3 Formula
Maximum 70% pure EPA formula
Super Critical CO2 Distillation and third party tested for purity and potency
No Drug-like Side Effects.
No Aftertaste
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #8

I also got the ones from Walmart. I have only had a couple of fish burps and I've been taking them every day for years. One fish oil in the morning, and one flax oil at lunch. I have found that if I take the fish oil on an empty stomach with diet coke I seem to have more of a chance of unpleasant effects, same as if I already have an acidy stomach. Otherwise no problems.

R
Old 11-04-2009, 06:43 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

My first thought is to take them with a wedge of lemon

I take regular fish oil capsules. Are any omega 3 products the same as fish oil? A friend swears by something that has omega 3, 6 and 9 all in one.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=Bestwifeever;872092Are any omega 3 products the same as fish oil? A friend swears by something that has omega 3, 6 and 9 all in one.[/QUOTE]

See, for example:

Polyunsaturated fatty acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or
The Newsletter : Cutting-Edge Nutrition Articles about Essential Fats, Fish & Omega-3s : Babies, Children and Adults
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
My first thought is to take them with a wedge of lemon

I take regular fish oil capsules. Are any omega 3 products the same as fish oil? A friend swears by something that has omega 3, 6 and 9 all in one.
I must have the same type that your friend uses...it's a combo. I don't know if there's any advantage to that since I've only been taking them one day.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Hmm. Keep them in the freezer. Frozen they'd go farther down the digestive tract before turning back to liquid.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Hmm. Keep them in the freezer. Frozen they'd go farther down the digestive tract before turning back to liquid.
Yes, as stated above, freezing the capsules is the recommendation from the Mayo Clinic. Have you tried this?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

One of my friends is a chiropractor that also is a nutrionist. He said the reason a lot of fish oil capsules give off a fishy taste is in how there are processed. I have used Carlson's Fish Oil for several years and have had afew problems. They are not cheap but the quality of the products is very high, Carlson's is based in Norway.......

I used to use the cheaper stuff you can get at Walgreens and WalMart but they gave me bad fishy burps........YMMV..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #15

I had the burps too, so stopped taking them. I don;t like fish. I had some luck taking them before a meal, but always forgot.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #16

Met an old guy of probably 75 yesterday at a meeting who told me people started telling him he smelled "fishy," so he changed fish oil brands. I never heard of the odor emitting from the skin before I met this fellow..especially a smell so strong that people smelled it all around him! EWWWWWW!
For some reason, I don't get the burps...but know Nature Made--Consumer's Report favored brand--makes burpless fish oil pills you can switch to.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Met an old guy of probably 75 yesterday at a meeting who told me people started telling him he smelled "fishy," so he changed fish oil brands......

.....For some reason, I don't get the burps...but know Nature Made--Consumer's Report favored brand--makes burpless fish oil pills you can switch to.
Eating LOTS of garlic could've helped 'mask' the old guy's "fishy" smell! Plus the garlic helps repel mosquitoes and many annoying humans...of course I guess the "fishy" smell already worked on the 'human' aspect!

The Nature Made 'odorless' fish oil pills are the ones I use, and they must be 'burpless' too, because I haven't experienced any problems with them in the couple of years I've been using them.

BTW...Nature Made has a 'rewards' program too. There is a 'reward code number' on each bottle of their products, so you go to their website and register, then enter the code numbers, and it 'banks' your points. You can redeem your points for either 'stuff' or for $5 & $7 coupons for their products....or if you shop at Costco, you can redeem your points for a check that can only be used at Costco.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #18

OMG! THANKS, Goonie! I have been buying Nature Made for a few years now. They owe me a small car...or country!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
OMG! THANKS, Goonie! I have been buying Nature Made for a few years now. They owe me a small car...or country!
I just got an email from them today, asking if I'd fill out a short questionnaire.....it only took about 2 minutes of my time, and they gave me an extra 25 points for doing it! (about 12 rather generic questions...this time dealing with 'internet social networks'...nothing personal or identifying either!)

Those 25 points put me at another 500 points.....so another $7 coupon! (the first 500 points gets you a $5 coupon, but each 500 pts. after that gets you a $7 coupon) So I'll use that and a $1 coupon clipped from the newspaper flyer, and save $8, plus using Walgreens' "buy one, get one free" deal, I'll be able to stock up on the cheap!
Old 11-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #20

Well, I just ordered these from Costco's website. Costco - Kirkland Signature™ Enteric Coated Fish Oil Concentrate I'm happy to find some that require only 1 capsule per day dosage. I'll file a "burp report" after I get them.