Join Early Retirement Today

Fish oil (omega3) latest studies
Old 09-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Fish oil (omega3) latest studies

Hello, has anyone seen the latest studies on fish oil and the link to prostate cancer? They claim to see a 71% increase in prostate cancer and correlates with a previous study. I been taking 2000mg (Costco brand) each day for just over a year because my triglyceride level was 177 (<150 is recommended level). The study scared me enough to stop taking them. I also have a friend that has a prescription for fish oil and his insurance would not cover it when he tried to get a refill. They did not give him an explanation why. Not sure it this is related to the study. I have not gone back yet for my annual physical this year to ask my doctor. I know there is tons of info on the internet, but it hard to sift thru it all and since I have zero medical skills/knowledge I do not know what to believe. I have family history of heart issue so I thought it be a good idea to try to reduce my triglyceride level. My doctor did not deter me when I told him last year I started taking fish oil pills, but he did not prescribe them to me. I wanted to get some thoughts & feedback from other on this forum on this subject.
bradaz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Already discussed here http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...bad-67417.html

There have been several other commentaries disputing how the test was done
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Try laying off the sugar and processed carbs. There's your pill to reduce your Triglycerides. Simple as that.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Try Flaxseed oil capsules - according to the study:

Fatty acids found in vegetable oils, flaxseeds and other vegetable sources – including alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) – did not affect prostate cancer risk, the researchers found.

I buy them at Walmart
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You need a prescription for fish oil?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Not to purchase, but if prescribed by an MD it would qualify as a deductible medical expense.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
Try Flaxseed oil capsules - according to the study:

Fatty acids found in vegetable oils, flaxseeds and other vegetable sources – including alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) – did not affect prostate cancer risk, the researchers found.

I buy them at Walmart
Note about flax: if you're gluten-sensitive, intolerant, or Celiac, Flax is worse. I'm gluten sensitive, but consumed flaxseed/flaxseed meal/flaxseed oil for years before I figured out that it was just crushing my digestive system. Got rid of it, and no issues since.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My Doc tried to sell me on them. He is a pharmaceutical type guy though. Prescription fish oil is "safe" as it is created in manner that would not expose you to the toxins and mercury found in fish that may be in the OTC type. Plus the amount of ingredients is accurate. I have no reason to dispute what he told me except my wallet didn't like the cost of them, so I take Krill fish oil OTC and will take the risk in poisoning my body.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post

My Doc tried to sell me on them. He is a pharmaceutical type guy though. Prescription fish oil is "safe" as it is created in manner that would not expose you to the toxins and mercury found in fish that may be in the OTC type. Plus the amount of ingredients is accurate. I have no reason to dispute what he told me except my wallet didn't like the cost of them, so I take Krill fish oil OTC and will take the risk in poisoning my body.
I think this a valid concern (toxins). I've taken Nordic Naturals for a number of years, molecularly distilled. But what I know about medicine or biology could fit on the head of a pin. I wanted EPA. It's expensive, I buy through Vitacost.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
Try laying off the sugar and processed carbs. There's your pill to reduce your Triglycerides. Simple as that.
+1 Mine dropped 30 points, but it wasn't near that high to start. Yours might drop more. Everyone I know who cut out sugar and way back on carbs in general, processed in particular, has dropped their triglycerides and raised HDL. This is not pseudo-science but a well known correlation.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I am with you, Mulligan. COSTCO fish oil pills for me.

I also eat fish, but not from the Caspian Sea. And as much as I dearly love sushi and sashimi, no raw fish no mo'.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am with you, Mulligan. COSTCO fish oil pills for me.

I also eat fish, but not from the Caspian Sea. And as much as I dearly love sushi and sashimi, no raw fish no mo'.
If I could make myself eat fish, Ed, I would probably skip the pills. But, I can't because the smell of it, I won't even try it. I am almost 50 and can't make myself even take a bite of it. It just isn't going to happen.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
If the smell is a problem, you need to eat fresh fish. It has a delicate flavour though so it may not be for you. Fresh water perch with a light egg-based batter is delicious. Way better than unadorned chicken.