Join Early Retirement Today

Fitness for dummies?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fitness for dummies?

I joined a gym at the start of the yer and am now going 5 days a week (although getting up 4:45 AM to do so is less than wonderful). Realized today that I really don't know much about this, especially what I should/shouls not be doing as I try to get in better shape. Anyone have a good resource for this sort of thing? I am looking for basic, medically-approved info rather than someone's program or patented system/idea (not the fitness equipment of "buckets").

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I joined a gym at the start of the yer and am now going 5 days a week (although getting up 4:45 AM to do so is less than wonderful). Realized today that I really don't know much about this, especially what I should/shouls not be doing as I try to get in better shape. Anyone have a good resource for this sort of thing? I am looking for basic, medically-approved info rather than someone's program or patented system/idea (not the fitness equipment of "buckets").
I don't have a link/resource for you. Be sure to include some research on doing a warm-up beforehand, and cool-down afterwards, and including plenty of stretching after each (your gym probably has stretching stations). I think these are medically approved and stretching is said to help greatly in preventing injuries.

Edited to add: Oh wait, I DO have a resource, though I have never read it:
Amazon.com: Fitness For Dummies: Suzanne Schlosberg,Liz Neporent: Books

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I read Younger Next Year based on recommendations here and it convinced me to add structured aerobics to my routine. Get it out of the library. The short version is aerobics (bike, eliptical trainer, etc) 40 min * 4 days a week + weights at least 2 x week. Your gym can give you a standard weight routine. Diet is important but pales in comparison to the benefits of exercise.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Having you considered hiring a personal trainer for an hour or two to map out a plan for you, and to show you how to do all of the exercises and use the machines correctly?
Old 03-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Trainer isn't a bad idea, but I don't have the time and I already know how to use the machines.

Have to do some reading...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

It's simple really. Do the same amount of reps for each part of your body until it hurts...just a little. Then pick up the pace slowly and add a little more to your weights.

resource....bbbamI
Old 03-12-2008, 04:30 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been doing a half hour workout on mon and thurs. a half run on tues and fr.

Master Trainer: Bodybuilding, Weightlifting and Lifetime Fitness

Don't know if this is what you're interested in. After reading the articles, if you like it, I'd say the 6 issues/yr are worth it.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Good book for the strength training part:

Amazon.com: Strength Training Past 50: Wayne L. Westcott,Thomas R. Baechle: Books
Old 03-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Forget the books. Forget the gym. Just drop and give me 50!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/he...on/11well.html
Old 03-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

It depends so much on which activities you prefer to do.

If you like to run, I can recommend The Lory of Running by Tim Noakes. It is not "for dummies" (ie - short) but it is authoritative and comprehensive.

Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #11

early on i would work out on machines next to people using trainers and gleaned advice from them. don't know if they work so early though.

you might find some pretty good info here: Muscle Building Forum

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Depends in part on what you're trying to accomplish, weight loss, muscle mass, general fitness, etc. I'd recommend Body for Life by Bill Phillips, you should be able to find it at your library. It covers exercise and nutrition, but you don't have to adhere to both. The older you are, the more important warmup and cooldown are. Whatever your fitness level, you have to work up to the next level gradually and continue step by step.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Trainer isn't a bad idea, but I don't have the time and I already know how to use the machines.
Raddr can recommend a number of sources and he really enjoys talking about it...
Raddr's Early Retirement and Financial Strategy Board :: View Forum - Health and Fitness

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #14

Many gyms will give you at least one free session with a trainer - so you might as well use it if they offer it.

Other than that i only have what my fitness obsessed sister/trainer says. Do a cardio warm up - like 5-10 minutes easy on a bike/tread/elliptic of your choice - don't push it, just get warm. Stretch a little and do your weights. You can do "pushing" exercises one day, next day do "pulling" so you get both parts of your muscle worked out. Save 20+ minutes of harder cardio to the end when you can burn the remaining fuel. stretch, mop yourself off and go home!

good luck and good for you!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:56 PM   #15

I think it would probably be worth your while getting a trainer to set up a program for you. They can tell you what machines, weights, reps etc. you need to do on specific machines to reach your goals. I started at the YMCA in Dec and had a program done and I have made great strides. I am getting the program revised this week to update it. Best success I have ever had.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #16

Seriously, get out and build up to jogging/running 6 days a week anywhere from 30min to over 1 hour. Then do sets of push ups and sit ups, 10 to 20 at a clip rest and continue until you cannot do anymore. Sometimes its 300 sit ups and 100 push ups. sometimes more or less. But If IF you can keep at it and motivated you do not have to spend one second in a health club.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #17

[QUOTE=bright eyed;628094] You can do "pushing" exercises one day, next day do "pulling" so you get both parts of your muscle worked out./QUOTE]

I do the "push" and "pull" exercises on alternating days also. With 45 minutes of daily cardio. Got the push-pull advice from a die-hard fitness nut about 20 years ago, and it seems to work.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #18

Push up and sit ups do work. Ever see those guys in prison how they work out in those cells.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I wrote a book, available for download, that is a bit on the introductory side of fitness and nutrition.

Never Diet Again: How to Lose Weight, Increase Your Metabolism, and Feel Great in 90 Days eBook

I also am adding nutrition and fitness tips to my blog on a regular basis

Bay Body Works Blog BayBodyWorks

I am working on getting my personal training cert, and while I feel like I know a lot about it, I am constantly learning.

The most important thing is to never sacrifice form when exercising; one injury can set you back years.

Amy
Old 03-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy5708 View Post
The most important thing is to never sacrifice form when exercising; one injury can set you back years.

Amy
Over doing things is a very common mistake for people first starting on a training program. (been there, done that )

As the authors of Younger Next Year say - the target is "younger next year", not "younger tomorrow"