Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Uh oh. "Here be dragons..."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2017, 07:12 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Snarllllllll...........
Old 04-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Glad to read this. Florida is where we're considering relocating to and Blue Cross Blue Shield is likely the provider we'd have on exchange.
Same here, could accelerate our goal to move to FLA if the marketplace stabilizes. I certainly don't see that happening in my home state.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Uh oh. "Here be dragons..."
Sorry if I touched a nerve. No idea how it is controversial. I intentionally don't keep up with the goings on with the current health insurance goings on.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No idea how it is controversial.
Looks like someone apparently posted to the wrong thread. Sorry bout that...
Old 04-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry if I touched a nerve. No idea how it is controversial. I intentionally don't keep up with the goings on with the current health insurance goings on.
I think it's just that it's too early to feel confident about guaranteed issue (and no price penalty) for pre-existing conditions.

Current law may say that, but current law could change. So, personally, I don't feel like it's a sure thing.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

We moved to FL this year after retirement. Still maintain a home in WI also all our doctors are in WI. Went with a Blue Select bronze HSA plan with national coverage. We are 63/61. $1400 month before subsidy, $6350 deductible per person. Very pricey in my opinion.
Hdhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #28

Florida Blue has confirmed its participation in the 2018 individual market.

Quote:
Florida Blue, the state’s largest health insurer, will remain in the individual market for 2018 and offer plans this fall in all 67 counties on the Affordable Care Act's marketplace platform.

The company did not say what premium increases it will seek when it notifies the state of its intentions later this month. But Pizzo said the company will base its premium price requests on the assumption that the administration will leave in place what are known as cost-sharing reduction (or CSR) payments to insurers. Without them, Florida Blue estimates that premiums for individual market plans would jump about another 20%.

Reference: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ket/388073001/
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #29

Thank you for the update!!!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #30

The CSR subsidies are still the biggest elephant in the room. Lots of uncertainty and market chaos until that gets resolved.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But Pizzo said the company will base its premium price requests on the assumption that the administration will leave in place what are known as cost-sharing reduction (or CSR) payments to insurers. Without them, Florida Blue estimates that premiums for individual market plans would jump about another 20%.
Why would that be? As I understand it, what Florida Blue pays for claims will be the same whether cost sharing reductions are paid to insurers or not... in other words, if cost sharing reductions are not in place then customers would end up paying more for deductibles. I don't have CSR but I just don't understand why the lack of CSR would cause a change in premiums (other than perhaps less people will buy insurance if there is no CSR).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Why would that be? As I understand it, what Florida Blue pays for claims will be the same whether cost sharing reductions are paid to insurers or not... in other words, if cost sharing reductions are not in place then customers would end up paying more for deductibles. I don't have CSR but I just don't understand why the lack of CSR would cause a change in premiums (other than perhaps less people will buy insurance if there is no CSR).
The way it is phrased, the CSR is acting like a subsidy, and if it is removed, the premium would need to increase as an offset. The logic is convoluted (but so is everything else when it comes to health care and insurance).
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #33

Im sure if i move to Florida the rates will skyrocket. Now that im retired im a hypochondriac. I got to 1 doctor and the next thing i know im going for 3 tests , multi authorizations, mri, cat scans, blood tests. Im crying about the co-pays. Imagine what the premiums would be to pay these bills.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Why would that be? As I understand it, what Florida Blue pays for claims will be the same whether cost sharing reductions are paid to insurers or not... in other words, if cost sharing reductions are not in place then customers would end up paying more for deductibles.
Federal regulations would still require the insurer to reduce the enrollee's portion of cost sharing but the remaining portion would no longer be gov't funded. It becomes an "unfunded mandate" where the insurer has to find another way to cover the cost sharing...by raising premiums.

The regulations do not go away just because the funding goes away.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

So what they pay for claims would go up because they are not getting paid by the government. Got it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote