Join Early Retirement Today

Florida Healthcare Costs
Old 10-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Florida Healthcare Costs

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida updated their website today with 2015 healthcare costs. I see a 22% increase in their plans that cover a wider range of providers (Blue Options) and a 11-12% increase in their plans with limited providers (Blue Select).
joe8012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
Administrator

Just getting back online, looking at the Fl BCBS website. They have replaced some of the plans with others that are similar but slightly higher cosh sharing. My plan is not on the 2015 list, the one with the closest deductible (but less total OOP) is more than 35% higher.

Florida Blue Medicare supplemental prices are up 2%-3%. The increase in my plan is greater than the total premium for the most expensive Medicare supplemental plan.

The Florida Blue website says their "open enrollment" began 10/1, but open enrollment does not begin until 11/15. Publishing their prices this way is very unusual. It gives their competitors a chance to look at them for 45 days before publishing their own. This is very unusual.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a Florida Blue plan purchased through the ACA Marketplace with a subsidy. I just got a letter from BCBS yesterday that my plan is being "retired" and I will be automatically moved to a replacement plan. If I do not like the replacement plan they have chosen, I can chose another plan.

I do not know if this re-assignment of plans includes those listed through ACA, but I doubt it. My guess is that this is a way they are trying to decrease the number of ACA participants and get people into their retail products.

Their customer service is open Monday thru Friday, so I will call on Monday to find out exactly what I need to do.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I have a Florida Blue plan purchased through the ACA Marketplace with a subsidy. I just got a letter from BCBS yesterday that my plan is being "retired" and I will be automatically moved to a replacement plan. If I do not like the replacement plan they have chosen, I can chose another plan.

I do not know if this re-assignment of plans includes those listed through ACA, but I doubt it. My guess is that this is a way they are trying to decrease the number of ACA participants and get people into their retail products.

Their customer service is open Monday thru Friday, so I will call on Monday to find out exactly what I need to do.
Silver, their 2015 plans are listed on their website. Of the 6 plans I am tracking, only one is missing (4200/8400 ded). The 2014 plans on bcbsfl.com matched the healthcare.gov plans for highlands county Florida.
joe8012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
Administrator

My plan was withdrawn as well (Blue Options HSA 1430) and of the 29 plans they offered in 2014 it looks like 6 or so were retired and replaced. Note - some of the plans show the same name and number but the deductible amounts have increased by $100.

Joe, some insurers absent in the individual market this year announced their plan to enter in 2015, most notably UHC. Hopefully this and others will include offerings in your area.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8012 View Post
Silver, their 2015 plans are listed on their website. Of the 6 plans I am tracking, only one is missing (4200/8400 ded). The 2014 plans on bcbsfl.com matched the healthcare.gov plans for highlands county Florida.
Thanks joe. I did check the website before I posted here and at the top of list of 2015 health plans it states "these plans are not subsidy-eligible".

I'm sure I'll be shopping the ACA marketplace again come November.