Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since I've made a point of washing my hands while going through the alphabet I have not been sick. I'm hoping that continues. I haven't had I flu shot yet. Before I did this I would get a cold about once a year. So I think length of time spent washing matters also. It's been over 5 years. (fingers crossed)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #22

Never had a flu shot. Scared of them, but may change my mind in a decade or so. Know several folks who came down with flu, even with the shot. They did not brag about lessened symptoms.

Have had the flu three times in 57 years. Last time was just last year. Lasted about 5 days---run over by a semi, i think. The first day i returned to work i wore makeup just to look more alive. My boss commented, Hey, she's wearing makeup!

Yes, i may start with the flu shots, but not quite yet.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #23

We had flu shots early on as we usually do. Apart from the arm being sore for a day or 2 the shot itself never affects us. I don't know the last time either of us have had the flu, so I can't know if it is effective for us or not. However, it costs us nothing and it means we go to the doc's office once a year so they know we are active customers.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have not had the shot either. Have only taken it once in my life and it was not my choice. I had pnuemonia about 4 years ago. Since I had gone to the ER they would not let me leave and admitted me. I truthfully was not that sick for admittance. Our health care dollars at work!! They told me if I left my heath insurance would not cover the ER visit. All the doctors offices were closed, otherwise I would have gone there instead of the ER.

After I was well enough, they gave me both the pnuemonia shot and flu shot before I was discharged. For days and 2 weeks after if not longer, I was as sick as I have ever been.
Kept a low grade fever for more than a month.

I wash my hands and use wipes wherever I go. Even at the gym, I lift weights with those wipes in my hands! I'm trying to stay away from crowds of people too! At least for the next month or two.

My husband got the shot. He did not feel well for over a week.

That said, I am thinking about getting the shot as this flu started early.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #25

Vitamin D and influenza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is a hotly disputed topic even among 'experts' -- let alone us peons who just try to take care of ourselves.

I'm not trying to (re)open the debate here; there are credible studies on both sides (as there are with many health issues). I'm just throwing it out there for folks to read & evaluate for themselves, as I hadn't seen it mentioned yet (apologies if I missed it.)

How to Use Vitamin D As Flu Medicine | eHow.com

epidemic influenza vitamin d - Google Search

Tyro -- I am not a , nor do I play one on TV or the internet.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #26

We don't miss a flu shot now, not after I got it about 15 years ago. That was a period of praying "God, can I just please die now and get this over with?"

If there's anything I can do to avoid that again I'll do it.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Washing your hands very often and not touching your face in between are key to not getting sick, even when it's not flu season. Using hand sanitizer between access to soap and water also helps.
No flu shot this year, and so far I'm OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Same here - I wash my hands frequently. No flu shot - never had one and haven't had the flu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
Since I've made a point of washing my hands while going through the alphabet I have not been sick. I'm hoping that continues. I haven't had I flu shot yet. Before I did this I would get a cold about once a year. So I think length of time spent washing matters also. It's been over 5 years. (fingers crossed)
This sounds like the mechanical equivalent of washing & waxing your car but not changing the oil.

As soon as I'm declared old enough for the pneumonia shot I'm getting in that line too.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #28

Panicked and got the flu shot today. Had to go to an ER today (for other reasons). As I entered, I thought to myself, "oh no I have not had the flu shot".

It may not keep me from getting it but hopefully if I do, it won't be as bad.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #29

DW had the H1N! right after Christmas. Nasty case, hauled her to the ER, 3hrs, nose swab and Chest Xray later got the diagnosis. She was cranky as hell. The Doc prescribed stuff which I picked up at the pharmacy on the way home. A week later she was almost back to normal, but still has some sniffles. May be a new issue.

Somehow, (megadoses of D3, and avoiding publick places, prodigious amounts of hand washing) I have not got it. I hope to keep it that way. Have not had a flu shot either.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #30

I got the flu shot on a Friday in late October, and the next Monday I was sick as a dog. I really didn't feel right again for almost 3 weeks. This is a nasty season.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelville View Post
Interesting, google flu trends.DH got the flu last week and now I have it. Been years since we suffered from it. We hardly ever get the shots.
How long did it take you to get back to 100%?

I have not got the flu in years But on 2/15/2013 I managed to get it.

The first 3 days were bad aches and pains but no respiratory or stomach problems. Then it has been a slow back to normal process. I feel like I am at about 90+% but have felt that way for about 5 days now (very frustrating)
Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I got the same flu shot a few months ago.

I've been getting military flu shots since I was a teenager, and I've kept up the habit even after retiring. Yet I had the flu a couple months ago (after this flu shot) and it knocked me flat on my assets for a week.

I didn't mind the fever or the nausea or the chills or the fluids emanating from my orifi. But oh the joint pain...
I only had fever and joint pain - yes it was horrible.

Not a good yr. to get the flu
Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #33

I got a flu shot in the fall, and got flu for the first time in late January, despite all precautions. I was REALLY sick, 102 fever. I am just now getting energy back and I still have a little nasty cough off and on that is from that. This year's flu shot was notably not very effective.

Symptoms were HIGH fever for several days, joint and muscle aches, fatigue, no appetite (a first for me but I didn't lose weight, which is depressing) and a bad cough that is just now going away. Oh, and head cold symptoms too. Went through a lot of kleenex. The very high fever and the aches are key - it was flu, not a cold. Also lasting 8 weeks (2 weeks very sick). YUCK.