Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DH and I got our flu shots a few weeks ago. Get 'em every year. I don't want to risk getting sick, especially now I'm ER'ed. Back in my w*orking days, I didn't mind getting a mild cold (not the flu, just a regular cold). Gave me a chance to use up some sick leave and stay home in my jammies watching daytime TV.

One thing I notice about ER is I get fewer colds. My theory is it's due to less stress and more rest. Plus not being exposed to germy coworkers.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:29 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

I agree about the germy co-workers--my boss has little kids and is a regular Typhoid Mary! I mean, I'd never get sick from milling around at the bar--those peeps are healthy.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I agree about the germy co-workers--my boss has little kids and is a regular Typhoid Mary! I mean, I'd never get sick from milling around at the bar--those peeps are healthy.
Plus, it's a known fact that alcohol kills germs. Martinis are especially efficacious.

Ha
Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rich,

Thanks for all your posts regarding these vaccines. Very helpful. Thanks again.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Plus, it's a known fact that alcohol kills germs. Martinis are especially efficacious.

Ha
Hence my reference to meds.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

W. C. Fields
Old 10-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got mine and am trying to book an appointment for DD4.

I frequent a lot of autism forums as well. DD4 has autism. IMO, it is not possible to have a rational discussion between the pro and anti vaccine crowd.

I believe in vaccines and am a rational, science minded person. But, I am spacing out DDs vaccines a bit. Still within the proscribed time frame.

Sure, I KNOW there are no real (double blind, placebo based, etc) studies but still feel I should be cautious.

I had the flu once as well. Don't want it again, and certainly want DD to avoid it!
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Now if we could just 'space out' exposure to infected people...
Old 10-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #49

I'm one of those who has never had a flu shot and probably never will. For me it's got nothing to do with the mercury or any concept of the big bad drug company, just that I feel I am healthy enough to fend off germs that come my way. I haven't so much as had a cold since 1997. I actually think it does my body good to learn how to fight off disease.

Of course I can say that as I am relatively young (40s), if I was 65+ I might feel differently.

If I do get the flu I would use my brain and stay at home until I was better rather than spreading the germs far and wide.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #50
Gone but not forgotten

With the flu (and many other infectious diseases) you can infect others before the symptoms show.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I'm one of those who has never had a flu shot and probably never will. For me it's got nothing to do with the mercury or any concept of the big bad drug company, just that I feel I am healthy enough to fend off germs that come my way. I haven't so much as had a cold since 1997. I actually think it does my body good to learn how to fight off disease.

Of course I can say that as I am relatively young (40s), if I was 65+ I might feel differently.

If I do get the flu I would use my brain and stay at home until I was better rather than spreading the germs far and wide.
You'll probably get away with it, though infecting others is a choice you need to make.

Routinely, flu-related mortality is concentrated in the older population (though far from entirely so). But during pandemics like H1N1, that does not hold, and under-65ers die as often as older ones -- likely because of partial immunity of older people who were exposed to similar strains younger in life. H1N1 killled about .5 to 1% of its victims (often the very young and middle-aged), and up to 6% required hospitalization (for pneumonia, respiratory, etc.)

So flu is fairly dangerous to the population at large and not too dangerous to the young adult population except during pandemics. All things considered including the impressive if not absolute safety of the vaccine, my choice is to get it done. For thoses with risks, it's a no-brainer IMHO. Hope that's helpful.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #52
Confused about dryer sheets

First off, I'm not anti-vaccine. I like to consider myself pro vaccine safety. (Although, I AM appalled at the lack of studies on the cumulative effect of the 70 vaccines/boosters the government recommends for our children before 18 years of age.) I find it very strange that I when I ask for flu shots without mercury and either 1) they aren't available or the nurse gets defensive about "Its only a trace amount!!!!! Its been approved by the FDA as an appropriate amount of mercury!" A short google on mercury toxicity let me quickly to begin asking for the mercury free version of the flu shot. (and they are available....just difficult to find) I find it ironic our doctors tell pregnant mothers to avoid or limit fish....while at the same time they are loading a syringe containing a mercury filled flu shot. Is it really THAT ridiculous for me to suggest mercury should be removed from flu shots? Or that perhaps people should be aware these vaccinations contain mercury and there is an alternative? Sorry for creating a fuss but its a pet peeve of mine that 99.9% of people have no idea mercury is contained in these flu shots. Clever marketing seems to forget about that part. There are alternatives available. I guess my years of lurking are over....time for an intro!

yukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #53

Thank you Rich for your helpful post - as always. However, I will give here the 2010 recommendations (slight change re: influenza etc):

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/wk/mm5901-Immunization.pdf

I just want to make sure readers in this forum know the latest recommendations from the CDC. Hope this is OK.

Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Ha, generally a 5 year interval gets you a booster: TDap if never given, T alone if you are up to date.

Otherwise for prevention you might find this helpful:
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #54

I've been happy to get a flu shot for probably three decades now, and I have gotten the flu (mild, to be sure) about 3 times in that period. Good enough results that I will keep getting the shot every year. The only year I missed was the year they gave the swine flu shot (which was very controversial), and the only reason I missed it was because I was doing some extensive traveling at the time.

As for mercury, it's much too far away for me to worry about. Now if someone found a health risk from venus or mars, then I'd want to know more.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I got poked a couple of weeks ago. There is a CVS nearby and the Pharmacist (or guy behind the counter) gave me a shot and about 10 ounces of paper to look at. They took my medicare card and did not want cash. I'm good with that.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got the flu shot last week. I have gotten the flu shot every year for the 20 or so years (except for one year when there was a shortage---I figured that I was young and healthy enough to survive the flu and I should leave for the ones who really needed it). Anyway my reasoning is I HATE being sick and if I can easily avoid catching the flu then I will. I had the Hong Kong flu as a young teenager and recall being thoroughly miserable.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
I had the Hong Kong flu as a young teenager and recall being thoroughly miserable.
When you sneezed did it sound like, "TAI CHI" ?
Old 10-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #58
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
I got the flu shot last week. I have gotten the flu shot every year for the 20 or so years (except for one year when there was a shortage---I figured that I was young and healthy enough to survive the flu and I should leave for the ones who really needed it). Anyway my reasoning is I HATE being sick and if I can easily avoid catching the flu then I will. I had the Hong Kong flu as a young teenager and recall being thoroughly miserable.
Age 18. Day or two before Thanksgiving break at college. Gave it to my sister, parents, and grandparents (and probably everyone on the bus).

Do not want ever again.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I've never had the flu. I started getting the shot a few years ago because DH is particularly susceptible and I didn't want to bring it home to him.

I've also noticed that I don't get the once a year colds I used to get before ESRing. I'm still exposed to germy coworkers 3 days a week, but I get plenty of sleep and have no stress. As HaHa points out, alcohol helps too. With ESR, wine consumption has gone up.
FurBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #60

Got mine today. I have a wonderful primary physician. Asks me "Took the day off from work?" Me - "No, I'm retired" He: "I keep forgetting that because you look so young. Good for you!". Always a smile & never in a hurry.

He & his daughter work together at the practice and his wife is the administrator. They volunteer at ALL the free clinics & health-fairs at our town.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote