Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2010, 12:02 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
After a few more days to clear my head of the remnants of the cold/flu I just had and it will take 3 strong men to keep me away from getting a flu shot. Sheesh!
The only time spouse and I missed our flu shots was 1986, when we'd transferred from our respective commands and driven cross-country to Monterey to mix our viruses with thousands of other new students.

What with starting grad school, buying a house, chasing a mortgage, unpacking, and (oh yes) going to classes & doing homework, we didn't "have the time" for flu shots.

The week between Christmas & New Years we were bazooka puking in stereo. I think we were in bed (or in the bathroom) for 72 hours. At first we were afraid we were gonna die. Then we were afraid that we weren't gonna die.

Flu shots every year since then... just got ours last Thursday.

For some inconceivable reason they didn't note my colonoscopy eligibility. I'll turn myself in later in Nov or Dec, I promise.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
"Of the vaccines today that still contain mercury, the flu vaccine is the biggest concern, according to Dr. Ayoub. About 80 percent of flu vaccines contain as much as 25 micrograms of mercury per dose. The EPA's safe limit for mercury is 0.1 mcg/kg, so everyone who gets the flu vaccine receives an overdose of mercury. You would have to weigh at least 550 pounds to receive a flu shot and be within the safe federal exposure limits for mercury"

Mercury Poisoning from Vaccines – Mercury Vaccine Thimerosal, Autism, Heath Care Studies, Candida Program

So, how did you find this forum? Do you set alerts to see who is talking about flu shots? What is your interest in early retirement?

The stuff you linked to is pseudo-science crap. Ayoub thinks vaccines are a population control plot by the Illuminati or some such thing. http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=1723

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:10 AM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
My previous 33 flu shots came free also, courtesy of the US Air Force.
I only received "4 free ones" from that source. However, since I'm a DAV member and we have a VA clinic in my town, I get it there every year (also to keep up my "membership").

Some years there is a shortage in our area, but the VA always seems to have enough to go around...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
So, how did you find this forum? Do you set alerts to see who is talking about flu shots? What is your interest in early retirement?

The stuff you linked to is pseudo-science crap.
U R cute when you get angry ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

They tried to make us (military school teachers) get flu shots this year. I (along with quite a few others) have turned it down. I last had the flu the summer of 1979....and that is working with kids. Even the flu I had.....didn't feel all that bad....just has never really bothered me. I thought a couple times I may have "had it".....stomach was a little upset while the people who did have it were throwing up etc. The ol' story that you know you have it......you wouldn't get out of bed to pick up money on the floor. Never ever been anywhere near that sick.....even horribly hung over.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I confess I've gotten flu shots only once or twice. I'm waiting for them to replace the mercury with hallucinogens. Then I'll be first in line.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Who knew discussions of flu shots could be so much fun!
Never had one, but was almost vaccinated for the three year rabies thanks to an ill-timed move by one of the cats during our vet visit the other day.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got my flu shot yesterday. I get them most years but have been a little more diligent in recent years. I don't think I have ever had the flu.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Good for you.

That's DTaP (Diphtheria, Tetanus, acellular Pertussis.

I'm up to date on all those plus flu plus zoster.
Rich, can you give us the suggested schedule for these? I had a DT after trauma 5 years ago at age 64. I doubt I have had a pertussis shot since I was a child, and perhaps they didn't even exist when I was a tot?

Ha
Old 10-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got mine at work... arm hurts like hell.
Sea Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Rich, can you give us the suggested schedule for these? I had a DT after trauma 5 years ago at age 64. I doubt I have had a pertussis shot since I was a child, and perhaps they didn't even exist when I was a tot?
Ha, generally a 5 year interval gets you a booster: TDap if never given, T alone if you are up to date.

Otherwise for prevention you might find this helpful:
Attached Images
File Type: gif Vax_schedule_healthy_adult.gif (18.5 KB, 20 views)

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #32

I also got the shot today. I had the Flu about 30 years ago. I can tell you it was the sickest I have ever been in my life. I was in the bed for 10 days with fever and aches. It took me many more weeks to completely get over the flu. I will never miss a shot again
Tom
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Rich!

Ha
Old 10-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
As does breastmilk.
Uh oh.......
Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #35

Never mind Mr. Rich. I just noticed you have already commented on the first page of the thread.
Sorry about that.
Rich,
Any comment on the mercury levels?
I've never heard about this.
I got my first flu shot last year but intended to get another soon.
Thanks,
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
I'm safe then....
If I don't slow down on the brews and get off my retired A$$.
I'll be there (550 pounds) soon.
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
"Of the vaccines today that still contain mercury, the flu vaccine is the biggest concern, according to Dr. Ayoub. About 80 percent of flu vaccines contain as much as 25 micrograms of mercury per dose. The EPA's safe limit for mercury is 0.1 mcg/kg, so everyone who gets the flu vaccine receives an overdose of mercury. You would have to weigh at least 550 pounds to receive a flu shot and be within the safe federal exposure limits for mercury"

Mercury Poisoning from Vaccines – Mercury Vaccine Thimerosal, Autism, Heath Care Studies, Candida Program

Note the shift to EPAs mercury limit , which is based on a totally different concept of exposure i.e. a daily limit

The oral Reference Dose (RfD) is based on the assumption that thresholds exist for certain toxic effects such as cellular necrosis. It is expressed in units of mg/kg-day. In general, the RfD is an estimate (with uncertainty spanning perhaps an order of magnitude) of a daily exposure to the human population (including sensitive subgroups) that is likely to be without an appreciable risk of deleterious effects during a lifetime.

Methylmercury (MeHg) (CASRN 22967-92-6) | IRIS | US EPA

it could be dangerous to get a flu shot every day. But the above statement is nonsense
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Pro-disease troll haz found forum.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Pro-disease troll haz found forum.
Unfortunately we don't have a vaccine for that, we have to rely on the forum's natural defences to fight the disease.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, hey, don't forget to have all your fillings removed. Mercury, and in grams, not puny micrograms. Oh, and those novocaine injections may contain mercury, too, although the conspirators might not list it on the label, so stick with whisky and branchwater, to avoid contaminants, including fluorides that will corrupt your precious bodily fluids.

(No, folks. Don't worry about the metallic mercury in fillings. It's not readily absorbed into your body, and is not nearly as dangerous as mercury-containing organic compounds such as methyl mercury. I can't believe what some people put themselves and their family through, in time, pain, and unnecessary procedural risks, to avoid an almost unmeasurably small risk.)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote