I might get one 4 5.33%
Not this year 3 4.00%
Never get 'em 17 22.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Flu shots?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Flu shots?

I have no choice if I want to volunteer at the hospital, so I got mine already. The very next week, DH came down with some sort of respiratory virus going through his department. Very odd because he almost never gets sick. I didn't catch it from him--also odd, as I seem to catch respiratory ailments easily. Did my shot deflect the flu? Who knows, just glad I didn't get sick!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Flu shots?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Last year I had a severe reaction to it so I thought this year I'll pass. The new girl across the hall has had a nasty cough. I don't really know how to talk to her since she is brand new. I figure I better go get a shot. Reaction or not, it is better than whooping cough.

Jenni
LoveNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got my first flu shot ever this year. Can't immunize the baby because she is too young, so I had to deal with my needle phobia and get the shot.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It has often been a PITA to schedule. DH and I were shopping at Safeway when visiting the grand-baby and there was the nurse. Lets see, milk, OJ, tomatoes, flu shot.. Got em!!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Costco......$18.00. Didn't even have to be a member.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I did it at Costco too, but it took an hour due to the loooong line.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

$28 at Kroger.

I got spoiled all those years of free shots (USAF employee).
Old 11-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

All Ontario residents are eligible for a free flu shot each year.

Mrs. Zipper and I have never had one.

Most really old people get them.

There are questions if this program is cost effective.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:49 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I haven't gotten one since leaving the military almost XX years ago. I had no choice then, but I hated getting one. Even though it is supposed to be impossible to get the flu from a "killed" virus, I would come down with something 24-36 hours later that seemed a lot like the flu to me. I felt like you-know-what for three days or so before the symptoms passed. Not as bad as the flu, but bad enough that I don't want to deliberately inflict it upon myself.

I'm not aware of any changes in how the vaccine is made, still incubated in chicken eggs (how advanced its THAT?). That said, I'll probably reconsider if the boid flu pandemic starts...

Old 11-16-2006, 03:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
All Ontario residents are eligible for a free flu shot each year.

Mrs. Zipper and I have never had one.

Most really old people get them.

There are questions if this program is cost effective.
If they offer free plague injections, I hope you will sign up.
Now, that would be "cost effective".

JG
Old 11-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #11

The entire family is scheduled for the flu shot next Tuesday and it's free because it's covered by Alberta Health Care.

I get one every year but DH usually skips it. This year though he's getting one because the Doctor recommended it since the baby is exposed to us (yes, baby is getting a shot too!)
Old 11-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I got mine last month. Too many near misses with bronchitis & pneumonia to mess with the flu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I haven't gotten one since leaving the military almost XX years ago.
Spouse got hers in a nasal spray (both sides). There are a lot fewer needles around the military medical clinics these days.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
I didn't catch it from him--also odd, as I seem to catch respiratory ailments easily. Did my shot deflect the flu? Who knows, just glad I didn't get sick!
Sort of. When your immune system is excited, you produce interferons which will protect you from other viruses.

It didn't work for me, though. I got the flu vaccine, and then caught a cold a week or so later....
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Some interesting flu shot facts:
  • You can't get a cold or the flu from a flu shot. However, since they tend to be given during the shoulder seasons where lots of other viruses are going around, many will predictably develop various viral infections in the week following their flu shot (or during any other week of that season). Of course, standing in a crowded public line while waiting for your shot can't help.
  • The intramuscular vaccine is dead. The nasal vaccine is alive but weakened (attenuated), so immunosuppressed people shouldn't take the nasal one.
  • The flu shot reduces your chance of getting flu symptoms by about 25%. Yes, just 25%. Lots of asymptomatic cases are prevented too (detected by antibody blood tests).
  • It cost between $11 and $66 per person vaccinated. Most researchers note that recaptured wages make it cost-effective in a working population. Deaths and symptoms prevented easily justify it in high risk groups.
  • 5% get side effects, usually a flu-like syndrome lasting a day or less. Rare egg allergy reactions occur in people severely allergic, almost never in people who have no previous reactions to poultry or eggs.
  • Guillain-Barré syndrome is a very rare side effect, and deaths prevented from flu easily trump death from that (unless you're the one who dies ).
  • Flu in pregnant women is particularly dangerous. Flu shots in pregnant women have no known excess side-effects for Mama or baby (the shot, that is -- nasal flu vaccine is NOT safe for pregnant women). So pregnant women are in the recommended group.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Some interesting flu shot facts:

5% get side effects, usually a flu-like syndrome...
Once again, I'm in the top 5%... :P

Old 11-16-2006, 06:17 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I got my first flu shot ever this year. Can't immunize the baby because she is too young, so I had to deal with my needle phobia and get the shot.
"Annual influenza immunization is recommended in all children 6 through 59 months of age, for household contact and out-of-home caregivers of chidlren 0 to 59 months of age, and for children and adolescents in high-risk groups."

Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases (the Red Book), 27th Edition, 2006, American Academy of Pediatrics.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #17

We went about 2 weeks ago to a Walgreen's about 15 miles away. The County Health Dept keeps saying there's plenty to go around, but they contunually have to cut-short or cancel their flu shot clinics. However, most of the pharmacies around have loads of the vaccine, and can shoot hundreds of folks at each of their clinics.

Makes us wonder what the heck is wrong our Health Dept.....besides them being somewhat inept.

There is no out of pocket expense for those on Medi-Care, and it's only $25 for us young pups. Plus, my employer will pay/reimburse for the shots!!!

(BTW, we were out of town when our local Walgreen's gave the shots, that's why we drove the extra distance.)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:51 AM   #18

62 years old and never had a flu shot. Dad is 89 and he doesn't get 'em
either. Disclaimer: I did get the flu 2 years ago and was afraid I would die
(actually for a while I was afraid I wouldn't) . No flu shots for us. Just rolling the dice.

JG
Old 11-17-2006, 05:25 AM   #19

Got mine free at Kaiser (if you don't count the $300 I send them every month). Took 3 minutes to find a parking spot and less than a minute between going in the door and getting the shot.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:40 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Have never gotten a flu shot. I am working through my bi-annual cold again, per usual for the past 30 years........then I make it through the flu season just fine.......

I'm sure my results are atypical, but DW always gets a flu shot, and always gets sick a few days later.......... :P

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote