Join Early Retirement Today
Food Delivery Services
Old 02-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Food Delivery Services

There recently was a thread about elderly parents needing alternatives to cooking. This article describes some of the newer delivery alternatives, at least in Denver.

"Meal delivery 101
Meal delivery and meal kit companies, such as Gobble and Green Chef, typically share these qualities:
Service is subscription-based
Menus are ordered a week in advance
Customers can select from a menu that changes weekly
Portions are tailored for two to four people
Meal kits for the week are shipped in refrigerated boxes
The boxes contain fully cooked meals, or recipes, and contain measured and separately packaged ingredients to make them
Cost in the range of $10 to $15 per meal, per person"

On-demand meal delivery market boils over in metro Denver - The Denver Post

"The natural inclination of every boat everywhere is to sink".......Nicole Pasulka
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When I was a kid, we called them TV Dinners...

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
I used diets-to-go a few years ago. It was a decent program and I lost weight but I really thought it would work as a regular way to get groceries.
I guess it depends on the reason that the elder person doesn't cook ,stamina, lack of interest in food, ability/ It might be worth a try but make sure they are not just throwing it out.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
Maybe my recycling of dryer sheets side is jumping out, but $10 to $15 per meal per person seems steep. For the price of 30 meals, we fund our food budget for two for a month. We eat out for less than that "$10 to $15 per meal per person".
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
I don't want to use a service like that right now, but for someone in their 80's or 90's who is very frail, it could be wonderful to have meals regularly delivered to one's door.

I wonder if there are any services like that in New Orleans. Many of our lesser local restaurants will deliver, so that is always an option.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
$10-15 per meal per person? We spend around that much per meal to feed a family of 4. Sometimes, even way less (chicken and rice).
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
We are visiting DS and his wife and they use an outfit that costs $12 a person "double occupancy" ($24 for the two of them) and twice weekly or more plans (but you can skip weeks). You pick what dishes you want to order. All the ingredients except salt and pepper are delivered with the recipes, some but not most prepped. Pizza dough, cheese, raw chicken breast, seasonings (fresh herbs, garlic, tabasco sauce and other random stuff gor some sauce) for buffalo chicken pizza was one night's dinner; and black bean burritos with salsa for another. Enough food to serve three.

The food was very good but I don't really know why they do it--both DS and DDIL love to cook and have a fully stocked kitchen and pantry. The ingredients still require slicing and dicing and cooking so really the time saving of menu planning and shopping are what yhey are paying for as I could have made these meals for at most half the price (a black bean burrito meal at home for $12 a person? $24 for a homemade pizza? Come on--ridiculous), and DH actually prepared both the meals, which he really enjoyed but it still was about an hour from start to finished dish on the table. There's no way I'd do this.

Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote