Food Delivery Services

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
There recently was a thread about elderly parents needing alternatives to cooking. This article describes some of the newer delivery alternatives, at least in Denver.

"Meal delivery 101
Meal delivery and meal kit companies, such as Gobble and Green Chef, typically share these qualities:
• Service is subscription-based
• Menus are ordered a week in advance
• Customers can select from a menu that changes weekly
• Portions are tailored for two to four people
• Meal kits for the week are shipped in refrigerated boxes
• The boxes contain fully cooked meals, or recipes, and contain measured and separately packaged ingredients to make them
• Cost in the range of $10 to $15 per meal, per person"

On-demand meal delivery market boils over in metro Denver - The Denver Post

I used diets-to-go a few years ago. It was a decent program and I lost weight but I really thought it would work as a regular way to get groceries.
I guess it depends on the reason that the elder person doesn't cook ,stamina, lack of interest in food, ability/ It might be worth a try but make sure they are not just throwing it out.

Maybe my recycling of dryer sheets side is jumping out, but $10 to $15 per meal per person seems steep. For the price of 30 meals, we fund our food budget for two for a month. We eat out for less than that "$10 to $15 per meal per person".

Last edited:
I don't want to use a service like that right now, but for someone in their 80's or 90's who is very frail, it could be wonderful to have meals regularly delivered to one's door.

I wonder if there are any services like that in New Orleans. Many of our lesser local restaurants will deliver, so that is always an option.

$10-15 per meal per person? :blink: We spend around that much per meal to feed a family of 4. Sometimes, even way less (chicken and rice).

We are visiting DS and his wife and they use an outfit that costs $12 a person "double occupancy" ($24 for the two of them) and twice weekly or more plans (but you can skip weeks). You pick what dishes you want to order. All the ingredients except salt and pepper are delivered with the recipes, some but not most prepped. Pizza dough, cheese, raw chicken breast, seasonings (fresh herbs, garlic, tabasco sauce and other random stuff gor some sauce) for buffalo chicken pizza was one night's dinner; and black bean burritos with salsa for another. Enough food to serve three.

The food was very good but I don't really know why they do it--both DS and DDIL love to cook and have a fully stocked kitchen and pantry. The ingredients still require slicing and dicing and cooking so really the time saving of menu planning and shopping are what yhey are paying for as I could have made these meals for at most half the price (a black bean burrito meal at home for $12 a person? $24 for a homemade pizza? Come on--ridiculous), and DH actually prepared both the meals, which he really enjoyed but it still was about an hour from start to finished dish on the table. There's no way I'd do this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom