Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2016, 11:45 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Do you eat the round kind of the flat kind of barley? I like the taste of barley (My family used to cook rice mixed in with rolled barley in rice back in the day.). I cooked the round kind a while back and it turned out so slimy on the outside that I couldn't get past it. How do you cook yours?

I eat yams once in a while. My DH bakes them and eats them along with his protein shakes in the morning. (BTW, *boiling* yams reduces the GL further, but they just don't taste as good...) Why did you settle on sweet potatoes over yams? I am asking only because sweet potatoes seem generally much sweeter to me.
I eat pearl barley, which I believe is the round kind you're referring to. I normally soak a few cups worth in the pot overnight, rinse till clear, then boil for about 15mins with lots of water, enough so that the water doesn't all boil off. The shorter you boil it, the better sugar response, so I try to get it just barely cooked. Then I pour into a strainer and rinse well with cold water. Then let it drain well, scoop into individual portions in reused ziplock bags, then freeze until I'm ready to eat them. Reheating is simply putting into a bowl and microwaving for 2mins. I know what you mean about the slime, and cooking and rinsing like this eliminates all the slime. It also eliminates a fair bit of the nutrients that leech into the water, but I'm not worried about that since my goal is to get a low GI/GL food, not vitamins and minerals (anyways, it's still much healthier than white rice)

As for the sweet potato/yam, I believe pretty much all sweet potato or 'yam' sold in North America is actually just sweet potato. You can find actual yam, but it's very uncommon, and would never be just piled up like typical sweet potatoes, it would be a specialty item. I've tried boiled sweet potatoes, but I can't handle it. I know it's worse to bake them, but I have to have them baked, otherwise I'm not going to eat them. The key for me is to bake them at high heat (425degs) until they're just caramelized on the outside but still crunchy on the inside (about 30mins). If they've gone all soft the whole way through, it's cooked too long and you're well on your way to making a candy bar...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 11:54 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
The comments here remind me again that the majority of people posting here are outside the norm of our society.

I know many people
with blood sugar problems. Yet the comments I hear at large, are my Doc said I might be pre-diabetic, me "What is your fasting blood sugar?". Oh I don't remember, it was kinda high.He said I should try to cut back on sugar and if it's still high in 6 months, I can go on pills.

Someone in their 40's already on the oral pills," My doc said I could lose some weight and focus on what I am eating and that could work for me. I told him just put me on the shots, I don't want to worry about everything I eat."

A Type 2, been on shots for a least 5 years and having terrible sugar spikes and control problems, "I looked on line and found out I could eat cheese because it doesn't bother your sugars number much" This person is single and eats fast food probably twice a day.

Interacting with all you sane people on-line is making me less tolerant of the knobs. It's getting harder and harder to just listen and say Good Luck. What I really want to say is "get a clue why don't you?
Yeah, it's amazing how people act like their health problems might just go away if they ignore it. I have a couple friends that have heart/cholesterol problems, and they just say they'll continue to eat what they want and die happy. They forget to say die 'young' as well, but that's the path they choose. I think getting educated about this stuff, at least for me, has meant that I'm hopefully living healthier, but also able to still enjoy what I like from time to time (like learning to eat some protein with that donut). With a lower blood sugar, my body can absorb some minor shocks, but if I let things go, there will quickly come a time when I can't enjoy anything food wise. I don't see how that could be a good thing...

Old 06-11-2016, 01:01 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline View Post
Yeah, it's amazing how people act like their health problems might just go away if they ignore it. I have a couple friends that have heart/cholesterol problems, and they just say they'll continue to eat what they want and die happy. They forget to say die 'young' as well, but that's the path they choose...
It may not be the quick death one minds so much, but the possibility of a lingering illness and misery. For example, diabetes often causes foot problems like ulcer and infection. Amputation of the feet is not uncommon. Not fun at all!
Old 06-11-2016, 05:42 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Wouldn't this be considered a cure? I am serious. You cannot still be considered pre-diabetic if your sugar levels are normal, can you?
It seems to me. He/she was never diabetic. And seems like no longer pre-diabetic.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:12 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I see your point, too. Yet the theme of several threads has been that certain foods may raise almost everyone's blood sugar and perhaps even bring on a pre-diabetic state. So in that sense, many non-diabetics have diabetic potential. I think of you as being in that category FWIW.

Quote:
Well, you kinda have a good point, but I'm not sure I'd be able to maintain my current blood sugar levels if I went back to my old diet, so I wouldn't consider myself 'cured'.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:04 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yes, but another possible side effect of metformin is causing you to outlive your savings.
I've also heard that metformin may prevent alzheimers. I've been taking 500Mg, 2x a day. Haven't had any side effects that I've felt, but it or the diabetes might be effecting my GFR levels (kidney function) which are lower than I would like, although that might be due to insufficient water intake which I'm now trying to increase.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:14 AM   #47

Alzheimer's Disease is neither diagnosed nor treated effectively, so I'm very skeptical about preventive measures or treatments.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:16 AM   #48

Quote:
Yet the theme of several threads has been that certain foods may raise almost everyone's blood sugar and perhaps even bring on a pre-diabetic state. So in that sense, many non-diabetics have diabetic potential.
Diabetes certainly has a genetic component, but bad eating habits is also a culprit for bringing on Type 2. I did not have a family history, was pre-diabetic for quite some time and ignored the Dr telling me to eat better and exercise, until I went over the limit at age 59. After that, I lost 35 lbs, ate better, and started to work out in the gym. I shed the initial 35 lbs over a three month period by doing nothing but walking 3 miles per day, and eating healthier. My A1Cs have been consistently in the 5.4 - 5.7 range ever since, and I am 67 now.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Alzheimer's Disease is neither diagnosed nor treated effectively, so I'm very skeptical about preventive measures or treatments.
This is just what I've read on the internet, but I don't have any particular studies to reference. As for me, I'm on it for diabetes, so if that is a side benefit, proven or not, I am not going question its effectivity.

Edit - here is one such article:http://www.endocrineweb.com/news/dia...-heart-disease
Old 06-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
This is just what I've read on the internet, but I don't have any particular studies to reference. As for me, I'm on it for diabetes, so if that is a side benefit, proven or not, I am not going question its effectivity.

Edit - here is one such article:Metformin for Protection Against Alzheimer's, Cancer and Heart Disease?
Thanks for the link.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #51

There are so many angles to diabetes and nutrition. There are a few things that need to be said as this is a very serious and misunderstood subject.

My grandmother was an undiagnosed diabetic. My father and uncle (her sons) were both Type II diabetics that had serious kidney problems in their 80's. They both ended up having to go on hemodialysis. I have a 59 year old cousin is in end stage rental failure because she never visited a doctor.

THE BIGGEST THREAT TO DIABETICS IS KIDNEY FAILURE. And those that go on hemodialysis will only live about 4 years before they throw a clot to the heart, lungs or brain (stroke.) Diabetics also most often have heart disease and 2/3 will eventually receive open heart surgery.

I am a Type II diabetic. My blood sugar varied too much so my endocrinologist put me on the insulin pump--an electronic syringe. Diabetics on an insulin pump are much more stable and live an extra 2 years. It also beats giving yourself a shot every time you eat.

I check my blood sugar with the finger stick before meals. I enter the blood sugar number in the insulin pump and enter the estimated carbohydrates. It automatically dispenses the right amount of insulin. The pump also gives me a small amount of insulin hourly which is in place of a 1x per day long term insulin shot.

My goal is to remain 110 to 150 on blood sugar levels, and I'm stable. My real fear is deteriorating to the point where blood sugar varies greatly from very high to very low. If my blood sugar gets to 85, I'm very nervous and weak. A Snickers or glass of orange juice gets me quickly back to normal.

The problem with very low sugar levels is that people lose memory of who they are and they can black out. That's dangerous when driving a car, for example. Without out getting the blood sugar back up, bodily functions, like heart beats, can cease to exist and you can simply die.

Most diabetics don't even know they have it.

I have no desire to live eating a 100% diet of rabbit food. I have long since quit drinking any alcoholic beverages. The best way to approach the diet is to eat more vegetables and avoid carbs which are most often breads, potatoes, some rices and sweets of all kinds. And my downfall is midnight snacks--which should be avoided.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:37 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I check my blood sugar with the finger stick before meals. I enter the blood sugar number in the insulin pump and enter the estimated carbohydrates. It automatically dispenses the right amount of insulin. The pump also gives me a small amount of insulin hourly which is in place of a 1x per day long term insulin shot.
Wow!
I had no idea such good technology existed. Great to know this.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #53

Quote:
And my downfall is midnight snacks--which should be avoided.
Good post Bahaman. As to snack comment, some diabetics have dawn phenomena (BG rises in the morning before eating), and it may help to have small late night snack like a piece of cheese or celery with peanut butter. I'm one of those types.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

That is scary. You would think 85 was desirable. Best of luck in improving your health.

Quote:
T

My real fear is deteriorating to the point where blood sugar varies greatly from very high to very low. If my blood sugar gets to 85, I'm very nervous and weak. .
Old 06-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #55

Quote:
I eat pearl barley, which I believe is the round kind you're referring to. I normally soak a few cups worth in the pot overnight, rinse till clear, then boil for about 15mins with lots of water, enough so that the water doesn't all boil off. The shorter you boil it, the better sugar response, so I try to get it just barely cooked. Then I pour into a strainer and rinse well with cold water. Then let it drain well, scoop into individual portions in reused ziplock bags, then freeze until I'm ready to eat them. Reheating is simply putting into a bowl and microwaving for 2mins. I know what you mean about the slime, and cooking and rinsing like this eliminates all the slime. It also eliminates a fair bit of the nutrients that leech into the water, but I'm not worried about that since my goal is to get a low GI/GL food, not vitamins and minerals (anyways, it's still much healthier than white rice)

As for the sweet potato/yam, I believe pretty much all sweet potato or 'yam' sold in North America is actually just sweet potato. You can find actual yam, but it's very uncommon, and would never be just piled up like typical sweet potatoes, it would be a specialty item. I've tried boiled sweet potatoes, but I can't handle it. I know it's worse to bake them, but I have to have them baked, otherwise I'm not going to eat them. The key for me is to bake them at high heat (425degs) until they're just caramelized on the outside but still crunchy on the inside (about 30mins). If they've gone all soft the whole way through, it's cooked too long and you're well on your way to making a candy bar...
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation on how to cook the barley. I will definitely try your way. I like the taste of barley, but I just didn't know how to cook it right.

I was not aware that yams were also sweet potatoes. They taste less sweet to me compared to so-called sweet potatoes (the yellow kind) so I just assumed they were different. My DH bakes candy bar yams LOL.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That is scary. You would think 85 was desirable.
Not knowledgeable on this subject and last fasting reading was 98 in April this year. No family history of diabetes. So what is the optimum level (I'm 72 years old and in "good"health)?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

My Quest lab results say that normal fasting blood sugar is 70-99 mg/dL. So 85 would seem to be mid-range normal. That's all I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Not knowledgeable on this subject and last fasting reading was 98 in April this year. No family history of diabetes. So what is the optimum level (I'm 72 years old and in "good"health)?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:52 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My Quest lab results say that normal fasting blood sugar is 70-99 mg/dL. So 85 would seem to be mid-range normal. That's all I know.
It would seem that in Bamaman's post, 85 would be OK. That's why I asked for clarification on the range.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Blood sugar of 85 must be a whole different thing for diabetics, if it's part of a fluctuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
It would seem that in Bamaman's post, 85 would be OK. That's why I asked for clarification on the range.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... If my blood sugar gets to 85, I'm very nervous and weak. A Snickers or glass of orange juice gets me quickly back to normal...
This is interesting. Supposedly, low blood sugar or hypoglycemia causes problems at levels below 70. Some people may not notice any effects until 50-60.

Tags
diabetes, diet, glycemic index