Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #61
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
This is interesting. Supposedly, low blood sugar or hypoglycemia causes problems at levels below 70. Some people may not notice any effects until 50-60.
But if your BS runs high as does Bamaman's vs a non-diabetic, his getting a reaction at 85 is not surprising.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK. I did not know that one's body gets used to a higher level of blood sugar, and must have a higher-than-normal level to function.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:51 AM   #63
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
OK. I did not know that one's body gets used to a higher level of blood sugar, and must have a higher-than-normal level to function.
I'm not sure I would say "must have a higher than normal level to function", but its just that diabetics are fighting higher levels than normal and trying to keep them from going even higher, and when a big drop to those levels occurs, you can suffer hypoglycemia (aka low BS) effects. Hypoglycemia is typically a problem for diabetics, and probably uncommon for non-diabetics.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:20 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The steam processing on Uncle Ben's rice creates a hard outer coating on each rice grain that slows their digestion, hence much lower GI than regular rice.

That steaming process also forces many of the the vitamins from the bran into the starch, so it's nutritionally superior to white rice.
I had no idea that it was better than normal rice. In fact, as kids we used to joke and call it Uncle Ben's perverted rice. Now we mostly cut out simple starches and/or replaced with whole grains/quinoa/etc.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I'm just telling you the way I feel @ 85 blood sugar levels. Other people may feel different.

I remember my uncle having a sugar low and not knowing where he was--until he went through a ditch and mowed down a telephone pole. Any lower blood sugar and his heart may have quit, potassium levels increased and his heart would stop. This is some serious stuff.

Most people don't need to do any major lifestyle changes until they're over 120 BS levels. You can make minor diet changes and not suffer. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to go vegetarian or eat barley.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline View Post
I eat pearl barley, which I believe is the round kind you're referring to. I normally soak a few cups worth in the pot overnight, rinse till clear, then boil for about 15mins with lots of water, enough so that the water doesn't all boil off. The shorter you boil it, the better sugar response, so I try to get it just barely cooked. Then I pour into a strainer and rinse well with cold water.
Thank you very much for your explanation. I followed your steps and made curry pilaf. And it turned out AWESOME! (No more slime and it has great texture and taste).
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:20 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Doctors can call it what they want but really there is not such thing as pre diabetes . I just call it denial

I have been dealing with this so called condition for 12 years I know of, probably more. My fasting numbers are always under 100, sometimes in the 80's. The problem comes when I eat lots of carbs and check at the two hour mark. If you do mess up and eat more carbs that you need then walk it off, maybe even four miles would help a lot. It does the trick for me anyway. I have spiked to 220 but it always comes back down after a few hours. I am betting I have been like this for over 20 years and didn't know it but I do know so I can take better control.

I learned long time ago to eat like you were a diabetic and maybe you can hold the higher spikes off for several more years. It has worked for me and I will be age 69 in six weeks and not overweight. Gets lots of exercise and watch those late night carbs. Also drink lots of water. My a1c a few months ago was 5.5 and I had been off my diet for several months. Got to get back on track soon because I know the end results. Cheers
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Oldtrig, how do you know you're going off the rails? Do you test regularly, or do you feel different when the sugar is up?

My anxiety stems from having 2 full siblings with T2 diabetes. Although my diet/exercise lifestyle and my general frame are different from theirs, and I never feel any "off" symptoms related to eating, I do wonder if I should be testing myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
My fasting numbers are always under 100, sometimes in the 80's. The problem comes when I eat lots of carbs and check at the two hour mark.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I think he means gets really sleepy at the two hour mark? It sometimes happens to me.

He finds he can walk it off - interesting.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I do wonder if I should be testing myself.
Yes, it would be money and time well spent.

Diabetes is not pretty.
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I think he means gets really sleepy at the two hour mark? It sometimes happens to me.

He finds he can walk it off - interesting.
I think he means he checks with his meter. He is right, if you have diabetes in the family, or have had some random high sugars, you owe it to yourself to get a meter. Forget the fasting. Test after meals.

And don't think that if you are not fat you can't have it. I have never been even close to fat, and though my diagnosis is "pre-diabetes", Old Trig is right. For all practical purposes I am just a piece of pie away from high enough sugars to be diagnosed frankly diabetic

I hated the finger sticks, so I bought a very comfortable lancing device called Genteel.

My Dad was diabetic before meters. We are truly blessed that they exist for us. Dad would say, diabetes is the thinking man's disease. What he meant was that a lot of illnesses just take hold and fling you into the grave. But diabetes lets you show what you are willing enough and smart enough to do for yourself.

Ha
Old 06-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think he means he checks with his meter. He is right, if you have diabetes in the family, or have had some random high sugars, you owe it to yourself to get a meter. Forget the fasting. Test after meals.

And don't think that if you are not fat you can't have it. I have never been even close to fat, and though my diagnosis is "pre-diabetes", Old Trig is right. For all practical purposes I am just a piece of pie away from high enough sugars to be diagnosed frankly diabetic

I hated the finger sticks, so I bought a very comfortable lancing device called Genteel.

My Dad was diabetic before meters. We are truly blessed that they exist for us. Dad would say, diabetes is the thinking man's disease. What he meant was that a lot of illnesses just take hold and fling you into the grave. But diabetes lets you show what you are willing enough and smart enough to do for yourself.

Ha
Thanks for the detailed info. I misread check as "check out".
Old 06-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #73

I am not pre-diabetic according to my yearly blood work, although I did have a borderline high fasting glucose number (99) one year. Ever since then, I've tried to limit the obvious sources of high GI/GL foods in my diet, but I have to admit that I am kind of a "pasta-holic" and have had a lot of trouble cutting that from my diet. I've reduced the amount of pasta per meal down to no more than 2 oz. (dry), and this certainly has helped in terms of GL and also my calorie intake. But... I wonder if I need to do more. I typically prepare a pasta-based meal for myself at least 3 times/week, sometimes 4. Are there any lower GI/GL substitutes for pasta out there, aside from things like using spaghetti squash or mung-bean noodles? I had been using the Ronzoni 150 brand a lot recently (which has a lower GL due to 10 grams of added fiber per serving), but it's disappeared from my local store shelves.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

I believe 1oz uncooked pasta is considered a serving size USDA. Yes, that's small.

We've learned to eat massive portions of pasta in the US.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #75

One ounce of uncooked pasta is indeed very little. Back in the "bad old days", before I was tracking it, I would routinely use like 3 oz. or more for a typical dinner, but now I feel like 2 oz. is an amount I can live with. Cutting that in half would be very painful for me. (BTW, all the pasta boxes in my cupboard list a serving size of 2 oz.)
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I am not pre-diabetic according to my yearly blood work, although I did have a borderline high fasting glucose number (99) one year.
If it were me, I would say "no sweat!"

Ha
Old 06-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
The comments here remind me again that the majority of people posting here are outside the norm of our society.

I know many people
with blood sugar problems. Yet the comments I hear at large, are my Doc said I might be pre-diabetic, me "What is your fasting blood sugar?". Oh I don't remember, it was kinda high.He said I should try to cut back on sugar and if it's still high in 6 months, I can go on pills.

Someone in their 40's already on the oral pills," My doc said I could lose some weight and focus on what I am eating and that could work for me. I told him just put me on the shots, I don't want to worry about everything I eat."

A Type 2, been on shots for a least 5 years and having terrible sugar spikes and control problems, "I looked on line and found out I could eat cheese because it doesn't bother your sugars number much" This person is single and eats fast food probably twice a day.

Interacting with all you sane people on-line is making me less tolerant of the knobs. It's getting harder and harder to just listen and say Good Luck. What I really want to say is "get a clue why don't you?
Sadly a great example of majority of folks. I have a family full of Type 2 diabetics. Have struggled with weight most of my life. I have had a meter for 6+ years and use it to help me stay on the rails. Seeing numbers I don't like are a real wake up call.

Bottom line is food IS medicine and each of us make our own choices every day. I know what I need to eat to feel my best. It may be tempting to eat like food was some kind of amusement park ride to entertain me. However I have learned what my body needs as fuel. Most prefer to use it as entertainment.

Food for thought... what do animals eat? Most have a diet that is known to fuel their bodies best. Most people wouldn't think about giving their dog a Snickers bar or the cat a box of Carmel corn.
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Country Girl, the term "corn-fed" beef is very accurate. Fat or prime quality cattle are fed corn and more corn....
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diabetes, diet, glycemic index