Join Early Retirement Today

? for near-sighted people who have had cataract surgery a while ago
Old 02-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

? for near-sighted people who have had cataract surgery a while ago

I am interested in hearing from people who were near-sighted (the more near-sighted the better!), who, after having cataract surgery, need to use glasses for far-vision. I would like to know how much vision changes in time, if at all, after the post-cataract prescription.

I'm two months down the road after cataract surgery, and am wondering if it is likely that I will need a new glasses lenses prescription every year/few years, or did the removal of the organic lenses and replacement with man-made IOLs reduce/eliminate or tend to reduce/eliminate further variability with age? I have no idea.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IMyopia is caused by the shape of your eyeball, not the lens itself, so I'd think that wouldn't change unless your eyeball does. But there are many other parts to the eye, none of which appreciates getting older; so vision can change over time, due to many other reasons than having myopic eyeballs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I am interested in hearing from people who were near-sighted (the more near-sighted the better!), who, after having cataract surgery, need to use glasses for far-vision. I would like to know how much vision changes in time, if at all, after the post-cataract prescription.

I'm two months down the road after cataract surgery, and am wondering if it is likely that I will need a new glasses lenses prescription every year/few years, or did the removal of the organic lenses and replacement with man-made IOLs reduce/eliminate or tend to reduce/eliminate further variability with age? I have no idea.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I was extremely near sighted my entire life. Like 20/800? Couldn't see the big E on an eye chart without being 5' from it.

Cataract surgery fixed me, 20/20. It's been 4 years since and my eyes are still the same..
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #4

I am (was?) extremely near sighted and had cataract surgery on both eyes last year. My eye doctor says there will be very little change in my vision from here on.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had the surgery, including a toric lens implant, about 2 months ago. I was also told that my vision would never need further correction (although disease could come into play).
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:53 AM   #6

I was very nearsighted (-7.5) and had IOLs installed for distance only. That was six years ago and I still just need ordinary drugstore readers for close vision. It was truly a life-changing event.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I was VERY nearsighted (-6 and -8) and had cataract surgery 5 years ago. Distance glasses prescription hasn't changed much over the 5 years. I've only changed prescriptions once. Vision is a bit sharper with the new glasses but not all that much, so I'll probably go at least 2-3 years (or more) between changing again.
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I was very nearsighted (-7.5) and had IOLs installed for distance only. That was six years ago and I still just need ordinary drugstore readers for close vision. It was truly a life-changing event.
I was mildly nearsighted with astigmatism. It has been three years for me since my cataract surgery. Like braumeister I chose IOLs for distance only and have been very happy with the outcome.

My prescription doesn't seem to have changed at all in the past 3 years. TBH I haven't gone back to my optometrist to have my eyes checked for glasses. I just don't feel the need to do that. From what I understand, that is normal.

I see my ophthalmologist yearly for other reasons (diabetic eye checkups) but he hasn't mentioned any problems.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #9
gone traveling

I'm surprised at the people here who were at -6 to -8. I'm -4.5 & thought I was bad. Guess not.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
Had the surgery, including a toric lens implant, about 2 months ago. I was also told that my vision would never need further correction (although disease could come into play).
My Dad had a similar surgery many years ago (with lens implant) and after wearing glasses for 50+ years, he never had them again (other than readers). He had the surgery in his early 80s and lived to almost 91 with good vision.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I saved a -10.25 contact lens in its container just for grins that I used to need before cararact surgery three years ago. My corrected distance vision thanks to the implanted lenses is still perfect and I use the same 2.00 readers from Costco that I needed after the surgery (although I can read menus etc without the readers if there is enough light). So no vision changes after the surgery.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:35 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

I was extremely near sighted and had cataract surgery over ten years ago and my vision has remained stable . I am having some problem with night time glare .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #13

I'm in uncharted (for me) territory, so Thanks to all that responded!

I've never had two pairs of glasses before with the same prescription, and am hoping that in the post-cataract world, I can. It was just too expensive before, with my nearsightedness and level of astigmatism, and wanting progressive bifocals.

I think I'm going to wait for a bit still, due to a major astigmatism shift from pre to post-cataract surgery in one eye. Both IOLs are B&L spherical-only, I have the warranty cards with details and serial numbers for each, so there is definitely no astigmatism correction in them. One eye's astigmatism was the same after surgery as it was before. The other eye's required astigmatisim correction dropped a whole 3 diopters, from 5.50 down to 2.50 of cylinder needed. Either my natural lens was that bummed up, or the lens replacement surgical process has straightened out my cornea quite a bit, making it less non-linear. I'd hate to spend $$ getting additional glasses, and then find out that my cornea in that eye starts to try to revert back to more of its original shape!

With this odd result, I'm glad I didn't push my Ophthalmologist into using Toric lenses, which was my original idea. He wasn't thrilled with it, so I relented and went with Spherical-correction only. If Torics would have been used, The Toric's correction in that eye, and whatever surgical effect I have, would have rendered that Toric a waste, and I think it would have resulted in needing a glasses lens that was "over the center" by quite a bit the other way!
Old 03-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #14

I had a minus 10 correction in both eyes prior to cataract surgery. I got 20/30 in one eye and 20/20 in the other so I could read the computer without reading glasses. I’m so happy after 7 years and nothing has changed.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote