Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
I would assume that the cash flow isn't an issue for you, so why not just settle up with the IRS at tax time? Save all that thinking
Because if your income is low enough (less than 250% FPL), you'd lose some nice cost-sharing bennies for Silver plans doing it this way. Better to underestimate income as much as you think you can get away with (within reason) then pay the diff at tax time if you go over your estimate.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #22

+1

The cost sharing massively reduces max OOP (at least on covered ca).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Because if your income is low enough (less than 250% FPL), you'd lose some nice cost-sharing bennies for Silver plans doing it this way. Better to underestimate income as much as you think you can get away with (within reason) then pay the diff at tax time if you go over your estimate.

Thank you. Good to know!

bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I applied for a BCBS bronze plan through the Marketplace on the evening of Dec 11. The website says my application is "completed" and I'm now waiting to hear from BCBS-TX (no emails yet).

My Eligibility Notice (emailed to me, as well as posted in "Messages" in my account) from healthcare.gov says that I need to send "proof of your 2015 income" by March 11, 2015.

2013 was my last year of w*rk before being "released from service." I had one month of wages, 6 weeks of unused vacation, 26 weeks of UI in 2013, as well as dividends, capital gains, and about $1000 in SE income.

2014 will have only the SE income, dividends and capital gains. 2015 should look a lot like 2014, without the SE income (business closing on 12.31.2014).

I'm assuming that I can provide my 2014 1040 (which I hope to have done by March 11) as well as a cover letter explaining the income drop from 2012 to 2013 to 2014, and that will make them happy.

Not sure how to make a PDF of these documents, though. Maybe FedEx/Kinko's can do that from printed docs?
BarbWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbWire View Post
Not sure how to make a PDF of these documents, though. Maybe FedEx/Kinko's can do that from printed docs?
Yes, most of these places can scan a document into a PDF file. If you used TurboTax, it will output a PDF of your complete tax return for you as well.

I have no idea what sort of proof is required and I don't know a thing about insurance but getting a PDF shouldn't be a problem.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbWire View Post
Most print screens also allow you to save the page as a pdf file.

pdf (2).jpg
Old 12-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #27

I expect I will just pay the whole bill and settle up at the end of the year. I expect I will not be at a level that will have cost sharing on the deductible, but may have discounted premium.

You may want to be careful about having too little income as you may fall off the bottom and have to go on medicaid. Not sure how this works out when you get an ACA plan and find out at the end of the year that you did not qualify for it.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to some unexpectedly large cap gain and dividend distributions this month, I will barely clear the $45,960 max for a single person to qualify for a subsidy. I have a unrealized capital loss I can realize by selling some stock fund shares at a loss. Then again, maybe I should save that for next year in case I really need it!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I did receive a letter at the beginning of the year requesting documentation of my income level, but never received a follow up. Right now I'm doing my tax return with a whole lot of guesstimations, so I can calculate the amount of my roth conversion, to keep me just above the Medicaid threshold. Oddly enough, the amount I've calculated is almost exactly equal to my federal refund (haven't had one of those in many year!)

I have a new letter in hand asking me to document my income. I suppose, once the TaxCut updates are in hand, I can send my freshly minted 1099 within that 90 days window ... or ignore it just like this year!
Jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
You may want to be careful about having too little income as you may fall off the bottom and have to go on medicaid. Not sure how this works out when you get an ACA plan and find out at the end of the year that you did not qualify for it.
There's plenty of ways to add more income without docs. Selling on fleabay, craigslist etc. comes to mind immediately. The IRS isn't going to care about returns with padded income.

But yeah, avoiding Medicaid in many (if not most) states is something you definitely want to do.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Just a couple of hours ago, I got to this point. I told the Marketplace that I was retired and my income would consist of only my pension of $36K based on a written estimate I have from Megacorp. I have until 17 March to submit the proof to the Marketplace . By then, Megacorp should have kindly deposited my first (of hopefully many) monthly stipends into my credit union account (supposed to happen 1 March, but you know Megacorps can goof), so I wonder if I should just wait until I actually get the real evidence or just use the estimate I have?

Also, the notice I got vaguely told me to mail it in ( without telling me to associate my username or case number or anything) or upload it once I was logged into my account. Well, I am logged in and I will be damned if I see anything like an upload button or a way to securely communicate. No wonder responses get lost...

Anyone remember how to upload an income projection response to the marketplace?
Nunthewiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

We had to upload a document attesting to having gotten a 457b distribution,
and a pension document for 2014.

As I recall, I was given a notice in my message box asking for supporting documents.
I used a drop down menu provided to specify the type of supporting document I
was scanning and uploading. I received notice about 48 hours later that they had
approved the documents and that I was cleared to purchase insurance.

Tandemlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

An, never mind, I found it. Had to go back in an look at my application. Then view application details and there is where it is looking for an upload. Not very intuitive, but better than my aborted attempt last year when it came to a screeching halt after I had uploaded...and I waited...and waited... and waited... and gave up. At least I can go ahead and sounds like I can get all the way through without their approval (until March)
Nunthewiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
In past years we made 250k+, and now in 2015, we are retired and plan about a 60k income. We put together a PDF document with a cover page that was essentially a written letter about our retirement and a summary of the 6 sources of income that we expected next year. We then created a page for each source. Some were screenshots of the mandatory distribution page in the retirement account, some were actual pages of the prior year's tax return, etc. The summary page labelled everything 1 thru 6 and each of the subsequent pages was numbered 1 - 6, so the reviewer could x-ref it back.

We just got our subsidy approval letter in the mail yesterday, so it was accepted!

Thank you for this info. I will be applying January for ACA insurance to start in February.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #35

Only the government could require something as ridiculous as "proof" of income for a year that hasn't even started yet...
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Only the government could require something as ridiculous as "proof" of income for a year that hasn't even started yet...
Only if you want an advance on a tax credit that you wouldn't otherwise get until you file next year's tax returns in 2016.

The premium support people may get is based on their income. The premium support is prepayment of a tax credit. The amount of premium support is the tax credit from the year's income, prepaid in 12 monthly increments. The exchange asks for estimated income to estimate eligibility and amount of any premium support the applicant may be eligible for.

If one wants an advance on tax credits, one must provide an advance on their income estimate with documentation or an explanation to substantiate the estimate.

It is actually not very complicated. Of course, it is in the interest of some people to make it appear as complex as possible. This may be used to sell books, services, and of course, TV commercials.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #37

We just had our income verified by Covered California. Basically as others have suggested, we wrote a short letter stating our situation (change in employment) and broke down our estimated income for 2015 (1099 dividends, withdrawals from retirement accounts). For 1099 income, we also included tax statements for previous years providing support for the amount we claimed. For retirement withdrawals, we simply stated the amount we planned to take (actually roth conversions) but provided no supporting documents.

On covered CA we uploaded our letter as an "affadavit".
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:51 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

In the ene it likely won't make a difference how well your income is documented since it will all come out in the wash at tax filing time. If you've underpaid you will pay the difference and if you've overpaid you will receive a reduction in the tax you owe.

What does make a difference is qualifying for Medicaid or qualifying for cost sharing on a Marketplace policy. These situations are where documentation may be critical.
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:07 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreJob View Post
In the end it likely won't make a difference how well your income is documented since it will all come out in the wash at tax filing time. If you've underpaid you will pay the difference and if you've overpaid you will receive a reduction in the tax you owe.
If the premium subsidy received is higher than it should have been, there are caps on the repayment amount for those between 100%-400% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL).

https://news.leavitt.com/wp-content/...-Repayment.pdf

Those who received a premium subsidy based on estimated income do not need to repay if their actual income falls below 100% FPL.

Consumers Whose Income Drops Below Poverty Get Break On Subsidy Payback | Kaiser Health News
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:34 AM   #40

Actually received a letter from them yesterday stating they received and reviewed the documents I uploaded. The documentation was acceptable and no further action was needed.

Painless mostly other than making a PDF of some tax documents.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote