Join Early Retirement Today

Forced to get Medicare--grrr!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Forced to get Medicare--grrr!

I've been on disability since 2005, but have been covered under my DH's work coverage. I guess I was automatically enrolled in Medicare Part A, but I never received a card, and I had no idea I was covered. I realized today the card came to me during the time our letter carrier was hoarding mail--he was arrested, but they never did get the mail to everyone. Now that my DH has taken early retirement from a megacorp, I have 8 months to get Part B at $100 a month plus any Part C and Part D I choose. We're still covered for two years by the megacorp under the employee-rate--it was part of the early retirement package. If I choose to refuse the Part B Medicare coverage within 8 months, then I pay a penalty so the premiums would forever be higher. You'd think the government would be happy to let megacorp insure me, but I guess not. I really don't get that?? Wouldn't I be saving them money? My medical costs routinely are pretty darn high.

So now I have to figure out what coverage I need, and I'm betting it's going to cost more. Currently we pay $220 a month for two of us and the coverage is excellent. At least the SSA guy I spoke with felt my pain--he thought it was a stupid law, too.

Just venting. . . And if anyone can recommend a good Advantage or Medigap plan, I'm all ears. Talking with a local Medicare counselor this afternoon.
PawPrint53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Medicare Open Enrollment Season Opens For Advantage Health and Drug Plans

or go straight to

https://medicare.gov/find-a-plan/questions/home.aspx

and/or

SHIP Programs Can Help Seniors Save Money On A Medicare Drug Plan - Kaiser Health News

also a Google search seems appropriate here.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Were I you I would appeal the Part B penalty. Be prepared to show that your letter carrier was convicted of holding your mail. Worth a try.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPrint53 View Post
I've been on disability since 2005, but have been covered under my DH's work coverage. I guess I was automatically enrolled in Medicare Part A, but I never received a card, and I had no idea I was covered.
You never received anything other than a Medicare card in the mail?

Sorry, but if you were declared truly disabled by your former employer, including transfering you health benefits to Medicare, you would have received more than one mailing concerning your situation.

Under SSD (Social Security Disability), you are automatically enrolled in Medicare (Part A) after 24 months of receiving SSD benefits.

If you are/were receiving benefits from your current/past employer, I'm sure they sent you more than a few notices concerning your benefits along with any changes (as related to SSD) in the future.

Yes, I've been there, and yes, there are many, many mailings concerned as related to your condition/situation...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

To answer one of your questions....

It think they want you to sign up for Part B now is so they get the premiums from everybody and the healthy do not skip it until they need it... this is a common theme on most health care discussions...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Oh, yes. There is also this helpful website: Medicare Rights Center - Home
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Not knowing the details of the postman's behavior, it likely took place over an extended time. Perhaps the OP could negotiate a back payment in lieu of penalty.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually, the letter carrier thing is a nonissue. I was covered under Medicare Part A and have been since 2005 without realizing it. There's no penalty involved unless I don't sign up for Part B coverage by March 31. I'm just whining about the fact that I have to either 1) pay $100 for Part B and still pay for my current coverage at $219 per month (for both of us) for a total of $319 per month or b) pay $100 and get an Advantage or Medigap plan and discontinue the employer coverage (my DH's former employer), which is coverage I like and am used to. I imagine to get similar coverage with a Medigap or Advantage plan, I'm going to have to pay more than what we're paying now plus my PCP only takes two insurance plans.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

So let's see if I have this right. You are getting Part A at no cost to you and would pay $100 for Part B and you and spouse pay $219 for employer coverage - so for $319 a month in total you have out the kazoo health insurance coverage - and you are whining about it?

I pay more than 1.5 times that for myself and DW for a high deductible HI plan. Sorry, but no sympathy here. You have it good.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Yup, you bet I am. If you were paying 1.5 times what I pay and then you were forced to pay 2.0 times what I pay when you'd rather just pay 1.5 times what I pay, wouldn't you be rather upset? Sure, I don't have to pay as much as you do, but perhaps we don't have the same income so as a percentage of my income, I'm paying more than you are. I'm pretty sure you don't have the same chronic condition that qualified me for disability.