Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

found kind of a fix for my back pain
Old 07-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

found kind of a fix for my back pain

Howdy,

I decided to start a new thread to be sure no one missed it since the original thread is so old.

I finally bit the bullet and my issue is arthritis and spurring around L4. My chiropractor started putting me in traction. I felt great for a few hours and could stand for maybe an hour before the pain came back.

I saw an infomercial late one night and did research and found a Disc Decompression belt. It inflates and put you in traction. IT IS UNBELIEVABLE WHAT IT HAS DONE FOR ME! I wear it most mornings for a couple of hours when working in the yard, kitchen etc or when I know I am going to standing. I have gone as long as a week with NO PAIN! It's expensive but I bought 2 spares to make sure I am never without one. I have 2 friends that have bought one and one of the guys saw me walking and dropped what he was doing, came out, extended his hand and thanked me for letting him know about it. His issue is L5.

Do some research but I honestly can't believe what it does for me.

http://www.amazon.com/DDS-300-Lumbar...+traction+belt

Take Care,

Wally
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallygator69 View Post
Howdy,

I decided to start a new thread to be sure no one missed it since the original thread is so old.

I finally bit the bullet and my issue is arthritis and spurring around L4. My chiropractor started putting me in traction. I felt great for a few hours and could stand for maybe an hour before the pain came back.

I saw an infomercial late one night and did research and found a Disc Decompression belt. It inflates and put you in traction. IT IS UNBELIEVABLE WHAT IT HAS DONE FOR ME! I wear it most mornings for a couple of hours when working in the yard, kitchen etc or when I know I am going to standing. I have gone as long as a week with NO PAIN! It's expensive but I bought 2 spares to make sure I am never without one. I have 2 friends that have bought one and one of the guys saw me walking and dropped what he was doing, came out, extended his hand and thanked me for letting him know about it. His issue is L5.

Do some research but I honestly can't believe what it does for me.

Amazon.com: DDS 300 Lumbar Traction Belt (XL): Health & Personal Care

Take Care,

Wally
Great news Wally. Chronic pain is a tough nut, I am glad you have found relief.

Ha
Old 07-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

It would be hard for me to believe anything like a 'miracle cure' like this, had I not experienced it myself about 10 years ago.

At that time, my knee suddenly was giving me a LOT of pain, I can't recall what triggered it, but it was terrible. I tried wrapping my knee in an Ace bandage, thinking I might get some small amount of relief, and I was surprised it cut the pain by half, which was a big help. So I drove down to Walgreens, and bought every knee brace thing they had. I tried the most promising looking one, and it was magical. The pain just stopped the second I tightened it, and I mean stopped, right to zero, like flipping a switch.

So for some cases, yes, I think maybe it's a matter of pushing a muscle, tendon or nerve away from whatever is irritating it, and the pain is gone.

Glad you found relief! I should update the old thread, I got into PT for my back a year and a half ago, and have strengthened my core with simple stretches I do morning, night, and sometimes during the day if I feel the need to loosen up. The PT helped tremendously, but a few weeks ago I overdid it doing yard work, and wrenched my back again. Not as bad as before, but full recovery is slow. But this was huge progress for me.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #4
Administrator

Great news Wally, thanks for letting us know.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I found an inversion table reduced the compression on the "bad" discs in my back.
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Inversion table is great for me. Also, the herman miller embody chair helped a tin with the long hours sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'm moderately familiar with this device. It has lots of testimonials to support it and their "research" is of unacceptable quality.

So, if you have a chronic condition and the only evidence is grossly deficient in nature? I ask myself the following:
  • Is there any risk worth worrying about (frequency and intensity)? If yes, I'd generally steer clear. In this case, the risk seems minimal.
  • Dose the treatment have biologic plausibility? That is, is these some way to rationally explain how this intervention could improve the outcomes in question in accordance with known facts or at least theories. In the current case the clever device could help apply hours of mild spinal traction while maintaining normal activity.
  • If your state of mind is anxious, depressed or otherwise distraught, consider moving your agenda back until things settle a bit.
  • If these criteria are unfavorable, maybe it is best to stick with conventional care.
Every case is different but try discussing it from your doctor next time such a dilemma arises.

If it were me, I might consider giving it a trial for a month or two.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post
I'm moderately familiar with this device. It has lots of testimonials to support it and their "research" is of unacceptable quality.

So, if you have a chronic condition and the only evidence is grossly deficient in nature? I ask myself the following:
  • Is there any risk worth worrying about (frequency and intensity)? If yes, I'd generally steer clear. In this case, the risk seems minimal.
  • Dose the treatment have biologic plausibility? That is, is these some way to rationally explain how this intervention could improve the outcomes in question in accordance with known facts or at least theories. In the current case the clever device could help apply hours of mild spinal traction while maintaining normal activity.
  • If your state of mind is anxious, depressed or otherwise distraught, consider moving your agenda back until things settle a bit.
  • If these criteria are unfavorable, maybe it is best to stick with conventional care.
Every case is different but try discussing it from your doctor next time such a dilemma arises.

If it were me, I might consider giving it a trial for a month or two.

Good feedback Rich, and I was thinking of giving a go myself for a month when I got back off vacation. $300 is not a lot compared to what I've spent on Physical Therapy this year alone, and I figured it didn't seem to be a big risk of making the problem worse.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:12 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Many variables, but I am very glad to have found a 99 cent book at half price books a dozen or so years ago.
Robin McKenzie's 7 Steps info worked for me and again a couple years later when i had repeat back problems. (pinched nerve, hip pocket pain, then progressing to shooting down the leg, to foot) Looks like he has some newer books, updating/splitting the info out into several books. Not sure how well diagrams would show up on kindle.
Your mileage may vary, yada yada.
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #10
Administrator

I did buy one of these braces when we got back from vacation last November and have had a lot of success with it. A couple of things I would say about my personal experience.

Follow the links to the manufacturer's site and follow the instructions to get the correct fitting brace.

I am fairly slim and the brace I have does fit well, above the hips and under the ribs, so that when inflated it is pushing vertically and not riding over the top of the ribs or hips.

It is not comfortable to wear when sitting, so I wear my regular brace when going on long journeys in a car or plane. It is great for walking and/or using while on a treadmill, and I do a lot of both every week.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:21 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Having had a laminectomy and lower back and sciatic pain which has not improved, I appreciate this thread. This brace sounds hopeful !
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:24 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi.

I still use the brace but have also has some surprising results with yoga for lower backs...

Started with this one

Moved up to this one

Then I try to do both every day. If I can't I still do a few of the stretches that feel the best.

YMMV but I am holding off on Lumbar Radio Frequency Ablation based on results from the yoga.

Good Luck,

Wally
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I'm glad my back seems to be free of big issues, so far, but I got a taste of the problem over the last 3 days. I somehow strained my lower back (I've done that before) but this time had some very painful accompanying muscle spasms whenever I approached the window of pain-free motion (and it was a small window!). I used ibuprofen and muscle relaxers (no discernible impact at the dosages I took), and cold packs (no discernible impact). Careful stretching exercises did help, but only for a short period after I finished. I got very good results from a lumbar back brace purchased at Walmart, the spasms have stopped and the pain when I reach the limits is about 50% less. $30 well spent.

It's not a miracle, but darn close. I'll need to limit the amount I wear it so the muscles stay strong, but I think it's probably speeding my overall healing (in addition to the symptomatic relief) because the spasms can't be good for the healing of the microtears in the muscle.

In my online research (Web MD, etc) most sites had no mention of mechanical support as an approach for lower back strain/spasms. I think that's an important oversight.

When I heal up--I'll get on a back strengthening regimen. ER's a lot better if it's pain free.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I'm glad my back seems to be free of big issues, so far, but I got a taste of the problem over the last 3 days. I somehow strained my lower back (I've done that before) but this time had some very painful accompanying muscle spasms whenever I approached the window of pain-free motion (and it was a small window!). I used ibuprofen and muscle relaxers (no discernible impact at the dosages I took), and cold packs (no discernible impact). Careful stretching exercises did help, but only for a short period after I finished. I got very good results from a lumbar back brace purchased at Walmart, the spasms have stopped and the pain when I reach the limits is about 50% less. $30 well spent.

It's not a miracle, but darn close. I'll need to limit the amount I wear it so the muscles stay strong, but I think it's probably speeding my overall healing (in addition to the symptomatic relief) because the spasms can't be good for the healing of the microtears in the muscle.

In my online research (Web MD, etc) most sites had no mention of mechanical support as an approach for lower back strain/spasms. I think that's an important oversight.

When I heal up--I'll get on a back strengthening regimen. ER's a lot better if it's pain free.
That's not fun at all, I hope you get relief soon.

I've used back braces when needed for temporary relief for 25 years now, since having lower back surgery. I don't mind a little mechanical help now and again, and will also wear one as a preventative measure when doing strenuous activities like a multi-hour hike in the hills.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:34 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not sure why, but I never tried a brace for my back problems. I guess it always seemed like trying to gain flexibility was key, and a brace would work against that. OTOH, if it provides some temporary relief, that could be a godsend.

But I did use a brace when I had some terrible knee pain, and it was like night and day immediately - I would not have believed it had I not experienced it.

But... that back strengthening is the key. I had to go through PT to find a set that worked for me - nothing special about them really, but I was afraid of hurting myself. But the 'pros' said go for it, so I did. It was months later that I suddenly realized that some things that were extremely hard for me were suddenly routine. It has really helped, though I did over-do it last spring - it doesn't make you 'Superman'. But in general, I can do so much more w/o being afraid of a strain.

-ERD50
Old 06-16-2015, 03:39 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
That's not fun at all, I hope you get relief soon.

. . . I don't mind a little mechanical help now and again, and will also wear one as a preventative measure when doing strenuous activities like a multi-hour hike in the hills.
Thanks. I'm back to about 95% now. I'm keeping the brace handy and plan to use it as that ounce of prevention when needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm not sure why, but I never tried a brace for my back problems. I guess it always seemed like trying to gain flexibility was key, and a brace would work against that. OTOH, if it provides some temporary relief, that could be a godsend.
Yes, it was a bit of a crutch, but a welcome one. Also, I think my muscles were in a bit of a positive feedback loop that was not good. (microtears --> pain at edges of free motion -> spasm -> more microtears).

I'm hoping that brief "look over the precipice" will be sufficient to get me motivated to do the strengthening exercises, and to improve my flexibility. I don't have a good record on that score. For me, the discipline to save $$ for ER wasn't a big deal: I set up the automatic payroll deduction and just increased it with pay raises. It required very little "positive discipline" (I didn't have to do anything after I set things up), just some negative discipline ("don't raid the piggy bank"). Sticking to an exercise regime requires positive discipline, every day. Uggh.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:46 AM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Take it from someone who has been dealing with back issues for a very long time. Walk a mile a day, at least 5 days a week, and your back will thank you.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:16 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I'm hoping that brief "look over the precipice" will be sufficient to get me motivated to do the strengthening exercises, and to improve my flexibility. I don't have a good record on that score. ... Sticking to an exercise regime requires positive discipline, every day. Uggh.
Glad you are doing better so soon. I've been in bad shape for a week at a time, with another 3 weeks of just bad, before getting near normal. And, I am in your camp when it comes to regular exercise, I just never seem to be able to get into a routine and keep it up.

But not with back strengthening - having back problems was so bad, and so random for me, the motivation was there. And it is really very easy. I go through a routine right after I wake up (before brushing my teeth - bending over the sink to brush and wash my face would occasionally trigger something), and before I go to bed, and general once during the day, or whenever I feel tight. I never skip the AM/PM strengthening-stretches.

I haven't timed it, but it is only a few minutes, 5 or 6 different motions so no time to get bored. I went from being afraid to bend over to pick up the paper, to (mindfully) being able to do far more, and no longer worry about small things.

I guess it's gonna take a heart attack to motivate me to exercise. I dunno, I just can't do it (actually, I've been doing one of the '7 Minute' routines fairly regularly - it's not much, but better than nothing and short enough to avoid the boredom).

-ERD50
Old 06-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Take it from someone who has been dealing with back issues for a very long time. Walk a mile a day, at least 5 days a week, and your back will thank you.
+1
Helps greatly. If you suffer from "Dunlap disease" it helps to remove that. A big reward for a fairly small investment of time.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I found this Lost Posture: Why Some Indigenous Cultures May Not Have Back Pain : Goats and Soda : NPR very interesting.