Four years of diet,exercise greatly improved Insulin Resistance, Pre-Diabetes

Machaon

Confused about dryer sheets
The two best medications for diabetes related diseases are exercise and a healthy diet, with emphasis on foods with a low Glycemic Index and a low Glycemic Load.

Diabetes is a nasty disease, which can cause blindness, kidney failure, heart disease, and nerve damage. When your blood sugar is not under control, and your insulin is not being processed effectively, all hell breaks loose in your body, which can result in breathing problems, heart palpitations, heart racing, heart thumping, high blood pressure, vision problems, fatigue, oversweating, emotional swings, foot and hand pain, etc.

I have Heart Failure. I also suffer from Chronically High Blood Pressure, Environmental Illness, Immune Dysfunction, Asthma, and Persistent Atrial Fibrillation, which means that my heart NEVER wants to beat correctly. Each disease by itself has higher rates of morbidity and mortality, but the rate of death goes much higher when you have both Heart Failure AND persistent Atrial Fibrillation. So...... I've got one foot in the grave already, so to speak. I am also close to age 70.

I have really suffered with my diseases. I blamed most of my symptoms and problems on the Heart Failure and the Atrial Fibrillation and was in total denial about Diabetes and Insulin Resistance. I was on up to nine medications for many years. Now I only take .25mg Digoxin, 12.5mg Coreg and Quinapril 10mg for my CHF, Atrial Fibrillation and blood pressure, and 2.5mg Warfarin to protect against stroke.

That said, in December of 2004, I finally woke up and went on a diet targeting Insulin Resistance.

That said, I have been able to greatly improve my Heart Failure, Atrial Fibrillation and Insulin Resistance/Diabetes problems mainly through diet, exercise and avoiding bad health triggers. My Cholesterol, Triglyceride and Blood Sugar levels are also at very healthy levels, without the use of medication.

The following are my blood pressure averages for 1998 through 2008. The annual improvements to my blood pressure and my overall health can be plainly seen, starting in 2004, when I first started a better diet and exercise.

• 1998 ... 152/97, number of readings= 1016
  • 1999 ... 146/92, number of readings= 3599
  • 2000 ... 145/92, number of readings= 3322
  • 2001 ... 146/92, number of readings= 2375
  • 2002 ... 150/96, number of readings= 1423
  • 2003 ... 151/96, number of readings= 1032
  • 2004 ... 146/90, number of readings= 2065
  • 2005 ... 139/86, number of readings= 2526
  • 2006 ... 136/79, number of readings= 3269
  • 2007 ... 126/74, number of readings= 2720
  • 2008 ... 122/72, number of readings= 2347

Whereas previously I had significant breathing problems, fatigue, chest pain, heart palpitations, Migraine Auras etc., currently per day I am doing 300 lifts with two ten pound weights, 500 steps with my stepper, for each leg, and 100 pushups.

I religiously followed a low calorie diet of about 1500 calories, for the first three years, and saw my health continue to improve. I now am able to consume a balanced diet of about 2500 calories per day, eating Carbs with a low Glycemic Index and a low Glycemic Load.

My 1 hour Post Prandial yesterday at 1:30pm was 120, and my fasting blood pressure this morning at 6am was 89.

If good diet and appropriate exercise can help an oldster like me, who had almost two feet in the grave, then imagine what a good diet and appropriate exercise can do for someone else, much younger than me, with less serious health problems.

Merry Christmas to all, and a wish for better health for all of us for 2009! :wave:

Wow! In the first part of your post, you sounded kind of like one of elderly aunts....if anything could be wrong, she had it...also had a TV tray full of prescriptions (slightly over-medicated @ about 20 different pills a day) to treat it all...or at least attempt to treat it all. She finally had a 'wake-up call' when my uncle was dying. She went to her doctor and asked about everything that ailed her and about every drug she was taking, and how to lessen or eliminate the ailments, and thus lessen or eliminated the drugs.

He told her diet & exercise...and she took it to heart! She changed her eating habits, and started getting exercise. In a matter of months many of the ailments started dwindling away, and the doctor started cutting back or cutting out some of the drugs. Now, after many years, she's in much better shape health wise, and only has 2 or 3 prescriptions.

I'm gradually adjusting my diet, and need to adjust my activity level up a notch or two as well. Maybe I just need to go on vacations more often, because that's when I eat even healthier and get a lot more exercise than normal.....I very seldom use elevators in the hotels, as I much prefer running up & down the stairs!

Thanks for your post, Machaon! :)

Goonie, I think that you should be a motivational and positive thinking coach. I swear, you are never crabby. I wish you were my neighbor and could help me get off my ass and outside snowblowing.

Great post Machaon. I have had high blood pressure for 15 years and am overweight by 40lbs. Although I have made great strides this year, I am further inspired to make even more. After the holidays of course!

Goonie, I think that you should be a motivational and positive thinking coach. I swear, you are never crabby. I wish you were my neighbor and could help me get off my ass and outside snowblowing.
How could I possibly be crabby? I'm FIRE'd and have that perpetual grin! It's like the deal about eating a frog 1st thing each morning, and nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.....I worked for 30+ years, nothing worse than that can happen the rest of my life! :D

As for encouraging someone to go outside and do snowblowing....unless it's nice & sunny outside (or at least nice), I figure 'the good Lord giveth, the good Lord can taketh away'....though it doesn't always pan out that way. Besides, I actually prefer the shovel over the snowblower. I take my time...sometimes days...and enjoy [-]freezing my bum off[/-] the brisk, crisp, fresh air, as well as watching the birdies feeding on the seed heads in the gardens and on the feeders! :cool:
Great post Machaon. I have had high blood pressure for 15 years and am overweight by 40lbs. Although I have made great strides this year, I am further inspired to make even more. After the holidays of course!
I'm between 40-50# over where I'd like to be....but I'm gradually working on it. I'd like to get it down to the point that my BP is back in the normal range w/o meds! My BP is consistently 120/70 with 1 pill a day, but that's 1 pill more than I'd prefer! :)

I'm just recently retired and trying to improve my health. OP's post reminds me to fast tonight for a blood test which now also includes pre-diabetes screening. The test is much easier for me as a retiree because I can just go to the clinic 12+ hours after eating instead of cutting it off at 7 p.m. so I can go to w*rk after the clinic.

It's raining here but will get out anyway today, got some X-mas stuff to do. Interesting effect of getting a little healthier--all I wanted for breakfast was a blender veggie soup, made with fresh and frozen ingredients--not bad on a rainy day.

....all I wanted for breakfast was a blender veggie soup, made with fresh and frozen ingredients--not bad on a rainy day.

I got up too late for b'fast...much closer to lunch...so I had a bowl of split pea soup with bacon & ham in it, and a small burger with pepperjack cheese. At least the peas were healthy! ;)

Nice initial post Machaon. Your program of controlling diet, taking meds and exercise should be a model for many folks that should get a grip on their unhealthy living. My story is not unlike yours and once you make it part of your daily routine it is a snap.

BTW
2008 ... 122/72, number of readings= 2347
...:)

Hey MACHAON--

yours is a great post. I, like you, have been a walking nightmare with sickness and prescriptions, but you seem to pin a lot of hope to the benefits of the low glycemic diet with its low idex and loads. Exactly what is this diet and what does it consist of?

I am struggling with type 2 and am on 100 mg of Januvia. My blood sugar is better, but still too high.

Please post your low glycemic diet for those of us struggling.

Thanks.

Retired Prof

Machaon and retiredprof, you may be legitimate but if you guys start promoting one "product" or another your time here will be short. Please be sure to read the community rules.

Machaon and retiredprof, you may be legitimate but if you guys start promoting one "product" or another your time here will be short. Please be sure to read the community rules.
Heh, "they" let 11 other posts pile up before the pitch. Far more restraint than we usually see around here... or maybe it just takes a long time to make the rounds of all the other boards.

For those seeking a preview, here's other Machaon threads that still (!) outrank this thread on Google:
Drug norvasc found in this post: Machaon- Such Inspiration : High & Low Blood Pressure board
Machaon- Such Inspiration - HealthBoards Message Boards
Oprah.com Community: Heart Health

machaon heart - Google Search

Hey Nords--

What is with you and Martha? I don't know this guy, Machaon, from a pineapple. The guy writes and says he's nearly 70 and has been at death's door and gives some background about what has happened. Hell!!!! Everybody loves to talk about their sickness!!!!! I'm an old guy with diabetes and a half dozen other ills. He talks about a diet. I give him some background and you both are making this some kind of conspiracy thing designed to sell something that most people couldn't buy and, hopefully, wouldn't need. I guess I'll end this by saying that it it a good thing I'm on PROZAC and am supposedly happy, or I'd tell you what I really think about this!!!!!!! So let me just say "Aloha" and hope this craziness is put to rest. I just wanted to find out about the damned low glycemic diet; not get in a pissing contest (besides, with my prostate the size of Texas, I'd never win anyway!!!!!)

retiredprof

Wow. I am amazed at how the internet allows us to sniff out a situation...Bravo!

By the way, did you know that Gene Kelly was apparently sick with a 103 degree fever while filming the famous "singing in the rain" scene cited above (which I remembered from a PBS special, and just re-confirmed using Google)?

Machaon's post was extremely detailed and my grandmother had a similar experience. In 1973, at 63, she had 3 heart attacks, was very over weight and we were all expecting her to pass on at any moment.

However, she stopped smoking, changed her diet, started exercising by walking a LOT and lost a lot of weight. After her husband died a few years later she emigrated to Australia to join one of her daughters, re-married and lived 'til she was 83. Apparently she was in pretty reasonable health right up to the moment the annuerism did for her. (I used to write regularly and visited her in '89)

She has always been a great example to me on what you can do with diet and exercise to reverse decades of abuse.

Hey Nords--

What is with you and Martha? I don't know this guy, Machaon, from a pineapple. The guy writes and says he's nearly 70 and has been at death's door and gives some background about what has happened. Hell!!!! Everybody loves to talk about their sickness!!!!! I'm an old guy with diabetes and a half dozen other ills. He talks about a diet. I give him some background and you both are making this some kind of conspiracy thing designed to sell something that most people couldn't buy and, hopefully, wouldn't need. I guess I'll end this by saying that it it a good thing I'm on PROZAC and am supposedly happy, or I'd tell you what I really think about this!!!!!!! So let me just say "Aloha" and hope this craziness is put to rest. I just wanted to find out about the damned low glycemic diet; not get in a pissing contest (besides, with my prostate the size of Texas, I'd never win anyway!!!!!)

retiredprof
Always good to hear from another fan of early retirement...

Back
Top Bottom