Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

I'd rather be hit by a hemorrhoid.

0%

No American has died of old age since 1951 when it was made illegal to die of old age

(Death Certificate has to give a reason other than "old age")
So what's the penalty for dying of old age, death? :-)
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
So what's the penalty for dying of old age, death? :-)
MRG
An autopsy -at least that is the penalty in the UK if someone dies and wasn't under the care of a hospital or hadn't seen a Doc in the previous 3 days.

Ever since Harold Shipman, aka Dr Death, murdered hundreds of elderly patients without proper checks of his death certificate diagnoses there is a lot more rigor in the procedures, as well as rigor in the corpses.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Where's the stat for dying of old age?
My late father had total kidney failure and was on dialysis for 5-6 years before he died. At the end, his liver was also failing and he had a lingering infection that the latest antibiotics could barely keep him alive. He was bed-ridden for 3 or 4 months and was in very bad shape. I did not know what they would list as the cause.

My late father-in-law was really dying of old age, as his organs were still functioning. However, all his muscles and tendons deteriorated, and his joints were all locked up. He could hardly bend an elbow to scratch his nose. It was beyond being merely bed-ridden. In the end, we thought he succumbed to pneumonia, but my wife said the cause of death was listed as heart failure.

Yep, in the end, your heart eventually stops, so that's as good an official cause as any.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had my first one done at 53. They found 4 polyps which were removed. I go back on the 5 year interval plan.

Here's 3 great videos on the procedure. That tool is amazing at all the things it does. Whoever engineered that probe was a really good doctor with an engineering bent. I am fascinated with tools...

Old 12-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
How about an asteroid hitting us and put us all out of human misery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'd rather be hit by a hemorrhoid.
If someone is really unfortunate, he will suffer from a hemorrhoid for a long time, before being snuffed out by an asteroid. One has to be careful what he asks for.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #46
Administrator

Those are pretty cool videos. The pictures of the 2 polyps removed from my colon this week were different from the videos in that they had no stalk and appeared as small bumps below the surface. The report described them as "sessile" polyps. The report says that one was removed with a cold biopsy forceps and the other with a cold snare. The report also goes on to say there were no other abnormalities found in the colon or rectum.

Hopefully the lab tests will come back negative.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
My late father had total kidney failure and was on dialysis for 5-6 years before he died. At the end, his liver was also failing and he had a lingering infection that the latest antibiotics could barely keep him alive. He was bed-ridden for 3 or 4 months and was in very bad shape. I did not know what they would list as the cause.

My late father-in-law was really dying of old age, as his organs were still functioning. However, all his muscles and tendons deteriorated, and his joints were all locked up. He could hardly bend an elbow to scratch his nose. It was beyond being merely bed-ridden. In the end, we thought he succumbed to pneumonia, but my wife said the cause of death was listed as heart failure.

Yep, in the end, your heart eventually stops, so that's as good an official cause as any.
Ok, perhaps, dying of old age isn't the best way to go either. How about dying of heart attack at an old age while engaged in vigorous night time activity?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Ok, perhaps, dying of old age isn't the best way to go either.
No, trust me, it is not. There's no quality of life when you are immobilized, not being able to scratch an itch let alone going to the bathroom. It was very depressing, as I saw both my father and father-in-law spending quite a bit of time in that phase.

Quote:
How about dying of heart attack at an old age while engaged in vigorous night time activity?
Now, you are talkin'.

But it may cost you dearly. Was that how you were thinking of 8%WR in the other concurrent thread?

Old 12-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

I've had 1.5 colonoscopies. Yes 1.5. I had the first one in 2004 when my doc was diagnosing my extreme stomach pain and abdominal growth. Turned out to be a ruptured appendix. Took antibiotics for about a month, then had an appendectomy. I had my 2nd colonoscopy last December. But the doc couldn't complete it because of sharp twists and turns in my colon. It turns out that abdominal surgery or the ruptured appendix caused colon adhesions that created the twisting. In any case, the doc recommended a lower gi to finish the testing. So I went through a 2nd prep and lower gi a week later. No polyps. Lower gi was far more uncomfortable than a colonoscopy, although I wasn't knocked out and went to work after it. Doc told me to come back in 5 years. I plan on researching alternatives to lower gi before next time
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Finally, propofol is a wonder drug. No wonder Michael Jackson was hooked on it.
Yeah, I asked if I could have some of that stuff (or whatever it was they used) to take home. They just laughed at me.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I guess I am impervious to drug addiction. For the two colonoscopies that I had, they used two different anesthesia drugs which I did not remember the names. I did not feel anything like I read about.

And then, when recovering in the hospitals after major surgeries, I also did not feel any high from the various morphine-like drugs that they gave me. All I felt was sleepiness, less pain, and absolutely no euphoric rush. I really did not know what people were talking about when they said these drugs were addictive. In talking to the nurses, they said that it was not likely that I would ever get addicted to any of these drugs because I did not feel anything.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would like to add my take on this. I just had my first one a few months ago at age 66. I guess I was gambling but I just kept putting it off. The longer I went without knowing the more my nerves affected me.

I just knew they would find something because I had some problems. Test results were perfect. I had them do the upper also because I have had indigestion off and on all my life, again nothing found. He said he would see me in 10 years. That seemed strange when he said that. A seventy six year old going through this again. No thanks. I hope I make it that far.

Now I want all to know of one of my good friends. He had the test done 10 years ago and they told him they would see him in 10 years. About 3 months ago one day he was riding his tractor on his 500 acre farm. The next day he started bleeding. They found cancer of the colon, had to remove one kidney and most of his colon.

He is in stage 4 cancer now but doing pretty good for a 65 year old man. They told him it could not be cured, only treated. They also said the cancer looked like it had been there for probably two years. Should he have gone back in five years? after the first test that show good? Nobody will ever know for sure.

No one can ever say for sure what the time frame for these tests are? I went 16 years after my doctor recommended me have the test and came out good. oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the "no polyp, see you in 10 years" is based on statistics. Well, when someone like your friend is unfortunate and falls outside the norm, it's tough.

Life is full of unexpected things like that. We all want to have certainties, but alas it's not to be.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, the "no polyp, see you in 10 years" is based on statistics. Well, when someone like your friend is unfortunate and falls outside the norm, it's tough.

Life is full of unexpected things like that. We all want to have certainties, but alas it's not to be.

Yes indeed.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Wow, we really are degenerating into a bunch of old farts. Sharing our colonoscopy videos - really?
Old 12-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Wow, we really are degenerating into a bunch of old farts. Sharing our colonoscopy videos - really?
Indeed. I remember my younger sister saying she got bored visiting older relatives because all they did was talk about their various aches and pains.

Now we are them.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess I am impervious to drug addiction. For the two colonoscopies that I had, they used two different anesthesia drugs which I did not remember the names. I did not feel anything like I read about.

And then, when recovering in the hospitals after major surgeries, I also did not feel any high from the various morphine-like drugs that they gave me. All I felt was sleepiness, less pain, and absolutely no euphoric rush. I really did not know what people were talking about when they said these drugs were addictive. In talking to the nurses, they said that it was not likely that I would ever get addicted to any of these drugs because I did not feel anything.
I had propofol, the stuff MJ needed to sleep. There was no euphoria. What it did was give me a great sleep and no hangover. I was out, even dreamed. Then back on and ready to go.

I think MJ liked it because he could schedule his sleep on his terms. This is a different kind of addiction than a euphoria addiction. It is an addiction of controlling one's body. You know, get surgery fix your looks, and drugs to control your every bodily function and rhythm.

The point being that for the colonoscopy, I don't remember it, but I remember everything before and after. I had no hangover. It was the perfect knock out drug.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

I had propofol, the stuff MJ needed to sleep. There was no euphoria. What it did was give me a great sleep and no hangover. I was out, even dreamed. Then back on and ready to go.

I think MJ liked it because he could schedule his sleep on his terms. This is a different kind of addiction than a euphoria addiction. It is an addiction of controlling one's body. You know, get surgery fix your looks, and drugs to control your every bodily function and rhythm.

The point being that for the colonoscopy, I don't remember it, but I remember everything before and after. I had no hangover. It was the perfect knock out drug.
Agreed woke up feeling like I had the best night sleep ever.
My second one, think it was a Sigmoid colon only. When I woke up said that didn't take long. The team explained how propofol altered my perception of time. I agreed, but pointed to the big hand of the hospital clock, I had been watching beforehand, it only moved a couple of minutes. When I got out of the room the person taking care of me read the notes, yep that's how long you were out.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've heard others mention that "best night's sleep ever," but that wasn't my experience. Had a very bad reaction (severe nausea) to the anesthetic drugs the first time, so I did my last colonoscopy without any sedation at all. I won't lie -- there was some discomfort, particularly when the doctor was getting around the sharper curves of the colon -- but I wouldn't do it any other way from now on.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #60
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Some day you younger guys will will be doing that too!

Regards,
imoldernu
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote