Frequencies of colonoscopy screenings

I guess I am impervious to drug addiction. For the two colonoscopies that I had, they used two different anesthesia drugs which I did not remember the names. I did not feel anything like I read about.

And then, when recovering in the hospitals after major surgeries, I also did not feel any high from the various morphine-like drugs that they gave me. All I felt was sleepiness, less pain, and absolutely no euphoric rush. I really did not know what people were talking about when they said these drugs were addictive. In talking to the nurses, they said that it was not likely that I would ever get addicted to any of these drugs because I did not feel anything.

Last edited:
I would like to add my take on this. I just had my first one a few months ago at age 66. I guess I was gambling but I just kept putting it off. The longer I went without knowing the more my nerves affected me.

I just knew they would find something because I had some problems. Test results were perfect. I had them do the upper also because I have had indigestion off and on all my life, again nothing found. He said he would see me in 10 years. That seemed strange when he said that. A seventy six year old going through this again. No thanks. I hope I make it that far.
:cool:
Now I want all to know of one of my good friends. He had the test done 10 years ago and they told him they would see him in 10 years. About 3 months ago one day he was riding his tractor on his 500 acre farm. The next day he started bleeding. They found cancer of the colon, had to remove one kidney and most of his colon.

He is in stage 4 cancer now but doing pretty good for a 65 year old man. They told him it could not be cured, only treated. They also said the cancer looked like it had been there for probably two years. Should he have gone back in five years? after the first test that show good? Nobody will ever know for sure.

No one can ever say for sure what the time frame for these tests are? I went 16 years after my doctor recommended me have the test and came out good. oldtrig

Yes, the "no polyp, see you in 10 years" is based on statistics. Well, when someone like your friend is unfortunate and falls outside the norm, it's tough.

Life is full of unexpected things like that. We all want to have certainties, but alas it's not to be.

Yes, the "no polyp, see you in 10 years" is based on statistics. Well, when someone like your friend is unfortunate and falls outside the norm, it's tough.

Life is full of unexpected things like that. We all want to have certainties, but alas it's not to be.

Yes indeed.

Wow, we really are degenerating into a bunch of old farts. Sharing our colonoscopy videos - really? ;)

Wow, we really are degenerating into a bunch of old farts. Sharing our colonoscopy videos - really? ;)

Indeed. I remember my younger sister saying she got bored visiting older relatives because all they did was talk about their various aches and pains.

Now we are them.:nonono:

I guess I am impervious to drug addiction. For the two colonoscopies that I had, they used two different anesthesia drugs which I did not remember the names. I did not feel anything like I read about.

And then, when recovering in the hospitals after major surgeries, I also did not feel any high from the various morphine-like drugs that they gave me. All I felt was sleepiness, less pain, and absolutely no euphoric rush. I really did not know what people were talking about when they said these drugs were addictive. In talking to the nurses, they said that it was not likely that I would ever get addicted to any of these drugs because I did not feel anything.

I had propofol, the stuff MJ needed to sleep. There was no euphoria. What it did was give me a great sleep and no hangover. I was out, even dreamed. Then back on and ready to go.

I think MJ liked it because he could schedule his sleep on his terms. This is a different kind of addiction than a euphoria addiction. It is an addiction of controlling one's body. You know, get surgery fix your looks, and drugs to control your every bodily function and rhythm.

The point being that for the colonoscopy, I don't remember it, but I remember everything before and after. I had no hangover. It was the perfect knock out drug.

Last edited:
I had propofol, the stuff MJ needed to sleep. There was no euphoria. What it did was give me a great sleep and no hangover. I was out, even dreamed. Then back on and ready to go.

I think MJ liked it because he could schedule his sleep on his terms. This is a different kind of addiction than a euphoria addiction. It is an addiction of controlling one's body. You know, get surgery fix your looks, and drugs to control your every bodily function and rhythm.

The point being that for the colonoscopy, I don't remember it, but I remember everything before and after. I had no hangover. It was the perfect knock out drug.

Agreed woke up feeling like I had the best night sleep ever.
My second one, think it was a Sigmoid colon only. When I woke up said that didn't take long. The team explained how propofol altered my perception of time. I agreed, but pointed to the big hand of the hospital clock, I had been watching beforehand, it only moved a couple of minutes. When I got out of the room the person taking care of me read the notes, yep that's how long you were out.

MRG

I've heard others mention that "best night's sleep ever," but that wasn't my experience. Had a very bad reaction (severe nausea) to the anesthetic drugs the first time, so I did my last colonoscopy without any sedation at all. I won't lie -- there was some discomfort, particularly when the doctor was getting around the sharper curves of the colon -- but I wouldn't do it any other way from now on.

I've heard others mention that "best night's sleep ever," but that wasn't my experience. Had a very bad reaction (severe nausea) to the anesthetic drugs the first time, so I did my last colonoscopy without any sedation at all. I won't lie -- there was some discomfort, particularly when the doctor was getting around the sharper curves of the colon -- but I wouldn't do it any other way from now on.

Ouch...

If the anesthetic causing the problem wasn't Propofol, I think you should discuss using it with your doc. "Propo" is what they used on me and it was as like flipping a light switch - I was instantly off and then instantly on again. Absolutely no after effects, no nausea, no grogginess, nothing other than I was awake.

Ouch...

If the anesthetic causing the problem wasn't Propofol...

That's what I was given, in combination with Versed. Don't know which one caused my severe nausea, but in any case, I'm going sedation-free again in the future. No need for any recovery time. I can just get up after the procedure and walk out the door (with perhaps a little less grace than when I came in).

That's what I was given, in combination with Versed. Don't know which one caused my severe nausea, but in any case, I'm going sedation-free again in the future. No need for any recovery time. I can just get up after the procedure and walk out the door (with perhaps a little less grace than when I came in).

Propofal has a low risk for nausea but it is a known side effect.
As far as less grace not sure, many folks talk, and say some weird stuff. DW was concerned about what she might have said. Her first question to the DR, 'did I say anything'. His response was a big smile and 'you didn't say anything I haven't heard before'.
I've had an upper where the sedation didn't work, they didn't use Mikey's Milk, next time I'll insist.
MRG

I think I had Propofol for my 2nd colonoscopy, and an older drug for the 1st.

With the 1st, I lost memory of the first few minutes that I woke up. After the procedure, I found myself sitting in a chair, waiting for the doctor to come in to tell me the result. My wife told me I dressed myself, but I had no recollection of that.

With Propofol, they told me beforehand that I would retain memory from the wake-up moment, which I did very clearly.

I don't know what they gave me but I woke up completely refreshed, looking straight at the monitor at the foot of the bed with the number 42 blinking at me. Within seconds the number had gone up to 47 and was steady. They had asked me about my low heart rate when they first hooked me up, and it was between 45 and 47 while I was waiting. Must be that the digits start blinking when the HR goes below 45.

The anesthetic was the very easy part of the whole procedure. DW had a pretty sore throat for about 3 days afterwards, so I assume they must do tracheal intubation as well.

ISTM that the frequency of new threads about colonoscopy is about the same as about whether to pay off the mortgage, or what the safe SWR is. 😄

Well, it is natural for people to talk about matters close to their [-]bottom[/-] bosom.

I remember floating nicely along when a single word entered my brain and jerked me out of anesthesia. The word was "lunch".

ISTM that the frequency of new threads about colonoscopy is about the same as about whether to pay off the mortgage, or what the safe SWR is. 😄

Both subjects can be a PITA :D

Back
Top Bottom