Join Early Retirement Today

Funding HSA's on a CSR Silver Plan
Old 10-17-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Funding HSA's on a CSR Silver Plan

Someone has asked me about the subject. I think it was talked about here but we now have so many HSA threads I can't find it.

If you have a Sliver HSA exchange plan and hit a CSR level say 225% of the FPL...can you still fund an HSA as your deductible and OOP costs will be lower?

I've tried Mr Google without much success.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2017, 08:14 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I believe the answer was no.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I believe the answer was no.
That's what I thought too, but the insurance has it listed as a Sliver HSA plan with cost sharing. That seems confusing. It's not cut and dried on the website as to if the HSA portion goes away.Perhaps they just have it coded that way so that people know it's cost share eligible.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
Administrator

HSA Bank says no. HSA Eligibility – Health Exchanges - HSA Bank
Quote:
If you qualify for reduced cost sharing*, you may not be eligible to make contributions to an HSA.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In 2015 we had an ACA bronze plan with a narrow network that had a deductible of $6450 but included 3 free PCP visits. It was HSA compatible, which made me ask lots of questions. HealthCare.gov and the insurer both confirmed that it was HSA compatible.

I asked my physician how this plan worked and she told me that it was treated like an HMO in that the insurer paid a lump sum for the total of the subscribers in the practice and that covered the 3 free visits.

My understanding of an HSA compatible HDHP is that the member pays for everything until the deductible is met so I found this interesting as a way to offer free visits. It was only for your Primary Care Physician.

For 2016 this plan increased the price and then dropped my doctor's practice from the narrow network. I thought that the practice left the narrow network. My doctor told me the insurer excluded them. We ended up moving to another insurer and we both had to find new doctors.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

MichaelB that was a good link and I take it to mean to depends on the level of your subsidy if your deductible is higher then 1250/2500 you could still be eligible to fund your HSA..

so it would depend on where your income is . I'm guessing 225% not eligible .. Medica lists the CS at 94%...87% and 73%... at 73 your deductible is 1300/2600...so that should get you and HSA....question is what income level is a 73% cost share.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
MichaelB that was a good link and I take it to mean to depends on the level of your subsidy if your deductible is higher then 1250/2500 you could still be eligible to fund your HSA..

so it would depend on where your income is . I'm guessing 225% not eligible .. Medica lists the CS at 94%...87% and 73%... at 73 your deductible is 1300/2600...so that should get you and HSA....question is what income level is a 73% cost share.
This sounds logical. I do recall a thread discussion that concluded HSA policies were eligible for premium tax credits, so there would be no reason a policy that benefits from CSR could also be HSA, as long as all HSA conditions are met.

The 94/87/73 are the actuarial values for cost sharing, and the 73% corresponds to income between 201%-250% of the FPL. (see pages 14-16 here)
Old 10-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

A Sliver plan? Ouch, sounds painful! Not under the nail, I hope, those are the worst! Who would buy a plan for this?

Maybe a mod can correct the spelling in the title, so it's more easily found with a search later?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
A Sliver plan? Ouch, sounds painful! Not under the nail, I hope, those are the worst! Who would buy a plan for this?

Maybe a mod can correct the spelling in the title, so it's more easily found with a search later?
I'm happy you caught my fast fingers..but...don't really get your sense of humor..I guess the spelling police don't have to be polite...a simple comment would have done the trick.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #10
Administrator

Thread title looks fine to me
Old 10-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is not much reduction in cost sharing between 201%-250% FPL. If the plan still meets the HSA eligibility criteria AFTER the reductions are applied, then it remains HSA eligible.

2018 deductible and MOOP limits for HSA eligibility AFTER reductions.

Individual:
$1,350 minimum deductible (up from $1,300)
$6,650 maximum out-of-pocket (up from $6,550)

Family:
$2,700 minimum deductible (up from $2,600)
$13,300 maximum out-of-pocket (up from $13,100)

Quote:
If the cost-sharing subsidies would reduce the deductible to below the minimum for HSA-qualified plans, people generally won’t be able to contribute to an HSA in those circumstances, according to a Treasury Department spokesperson.

“For purposes of a health savings account, the cost-sharing reduction is considered in determining the deductible of the plan,” the spokesperson said.

Reference: https://khn.org/news/andrews-readers...r-from-others/
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This sounds logical. I do recall a thread discussion that concluded HSA policies were eligible for premium tax credits, so there would be no reason a policy that benefits from CSR could also be HSA, as long as all HSA conditions are met.

The 94/87/73 are the actuarial values for cost sharing, and the 73% corresponds to income between 201%-250% of the FPL. (see pages 14-16 here)
You're the man, so many details at your fingertips.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Just recheck the Medica 2018 Silver HSA and at 73% the deductible is 1300 which means no soup for you on the HSA..