Join Early Retirement Today

Future nursing home increase data
Old 06-12-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Future nursing home increase data

Does anyone compute and share the data on the expectation of increases in nursing home costs? I know insurance companies must do some kind of projection but I doubt they show the data that goes into it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 11:50 AM   #2

There are two kinds of nursing home, rehab centers and long term care facilities. According to this source, long term care facilities, along with assisted living, have been increasing monthly prices between 3.5% to 5%. http://www.lifehealthpro.com/2013/07...ome-cost-rises
Quote:
The price of a room has increased an average of 4.8 percent per year since John Hancock last commissioned an LTC price survey in 2011.Over the past five years, price increases for private rooms have averaged 3.6 percent per year.The average cost of a semi-private nursing home room has increased an average of 4.7 percent per year over the past two years, to $82,855 per year.The five-year average annual increase has been 3.6 percent per year.
The ALF my aunt called home increased 5% per year, and my mom's ALF just did the same.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #3

Thanks, MichaelB! That's actually lower than I expected. But going forward I thought scarcity of rooms might lead to the bidding up of available slots (as well as the increase in Medicaid placements). Admittedly it might be difficult to guess/predict these effects.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Due to increasing demand, I would expect availability to increase in the future. But I'm the last person whose predictions you want to listen to.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #5

Yes, I didn't consider expansion in the factors that might affect the cost. Many, many unknowns.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

I let Fidelity do the LTC projections, although I am not the least bit concerned. I suspect that it will be all part of Medicare at some point. Worse case, I am on medicaid. I am self-insuring.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #7

Senator, We are self-insuring also. I woke up bored and thought I would try to do better projections since my husband's mom is almost 100 years old and our investments may be too conservative. I have been mentally allocating $250,000 to future LTC costs but from 70 to 100 is thirty years. That's enough time to really erode that $250K if it doesn't keep pace with LTC inflation. And who knows what Medicare/Medicaid will be 20-30 years from now.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Senator, We are self-insuring also. I woke up bored and thought I would try to do better projections since my husband's mom is almost 100 years old and our investments may be too conservative. I have been mentally allocating $250,000 to future LTC costs but from 70 to 100 is thirty years. That's enough time to really erode that $250K if it doesn't keep pace with LTC inflation. And who knows what Medicare/Medicaid will be 20-30 years from now.
Odds are, if you go in, it will not be for very long. Three years tops. The first days are covered by Medicare. The last days are covered as Hospice care.

If you continue to improve, it's covered by heathcare. If not, and it's a one-way trip, assets and medicaid.

If I go in for the duration, I am spending all my cash on strippers and beer, right in the home.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:55 PM   #9

I hear you. I think my husband might agree. Oh well, as I said, if I could get more insightful data than I myself can guess, it's something to do on a rainy day. The WA coast has lots of those.