Gad

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
Nope, it's not missing the E- Although a good case could be made that it is.

After last year's chest pain scare my doctor's diagnosis was GAD - Generalized Anxiety Disorder. In my case it is not about depression. Rather it's about constant, overpowering worry over things in my life. I am a self-confessed control freak. I believe one would have to be to be successful in my career field, and I like to believe I've been successful. But these are things I can not control.

Well, the last 4 months have been NOTHING BUT generalized anxiety. Mom went in the hospital; lost a toe, then the other four, then half the foot, and finally the leg up to the knee. DD is expecting a baby early in December. WSIL lost his job in July and STILL doesn't have another. Mom was released from the long term care home less than 24 hours after her Medicare benefit ran out. (Which is just as well, because we made more progress at home in three weeks than she made up there in three months.)

Anyway, the worry and anxiety were kicking in full strength, overpowering the Citalopram. I'm still having episodes pretty much every day. I still get a little anxious now and then. But things are getting better.

I reached out to my friends. Mark and I go to the range every week right now. It's only one afternoon, but it helps a lot.

Somebody on here offered a motivational tip to another member about hanging a countdown on the refrigerator. I did that too, and I'm crossing the days off as they pass. I circled my "eligibility" date and my "hope I make it that far" date. and I reset my countdown timer on the computer to give me the number of days left to my "hope I make it that far" date. I am now hoping to make it 417 more days, but I can go in only 292 days!!!

Mostly, here I'm just reaching out to other friends. I don't know why, but writing it out seems to help. Maybe that is part of the attraction of blogging, something I never understood before. Thanks.

Somebody on here offered a motivational tip to another member about hanging a countdown on the refrigerator. I did that too, and I'm crossing the days off as they pass. I circled my "eligibility" date and my "hope I make it that far" date. and I reset my countdown timer on the computer to give me the number of days left to my "hope I make it that far" date. I am now hoping to make it 417 more days, but I can go in only 292 days!!!

I had the countdown days posted on my office door! It was great watching the days click away, one by one. Counting the days down that way was like riding a well-waxed tobaggon down a steep, snowy hill. The days kept flying by faster & Faster & FASTER!!! All the way to the end! It was exhilarating!! The big difference between the tobaggon ride and the ER count down, is the tobaggon ride is over at the end......but ER is just STARTING at the end!!!

Hang in there big guy! Your friends are here for you any time! And happy count down!

If you really are as wound up as you say... I don't know how to help much... but I will offer my sympathy... I do know a few people who have some anxiety and at times it can cripple them...

One girl I know will not go over a bridge unless there is NO other way around... so, she does not drive any freeways as they have way to many bridges...

One of the things I have done many times is try and take a look at what is causing the anxiety and then try and rationalize it... I have a saying sometimes when things get screwed up... "At least nobody died"... in other words, try and look at the GOOD side of whatever it is...

Yes, sometimes writing or talking about overwhelming anxiety brings it into the real world so you don't feel so out of control. At least that has helped me too.

Back
Top Bottom