Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Anything that claims to be the one cause or cure of everything is snake oil.
+1

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
This may be snake oil, but I remember the wellknown blogger Erica Douglass tried this:
Amazon.com: The Amazing Liver & Gallbladder Flush (9780976571506): Andreas Moritz: Books

"Twenty million Americans suffer from attacks of gallstones every year. In many cases, treatment merely consists of removing the gallbladder, at the cost of $5 billion a year. But this purely symptom-oriented approach does not eliminate the cause of the illness, and in many cases, sets the stage for even more serious conditions. Most adults living in the industrialized world, and especially those suffering a chronic illness such as heart disease, arthritis, MS, cancer, or diabetes, have hundreds if not thousands of gallstones (mainly clumps of hardened bile) blocking the bile ducts of their liver. This book provides a thorough understanding of what causes gallstones in the liver and gallbladder and why these stones can be held responsible for the most common diseases so prevalent in the world today. It provides the reader with the knowledge needed to recognize the stones and gives the necessary, do-it-yourself instructions to painlessly remove them in the comfort of one's home. It also gives practical guidelines on how to prevent new gallstones from being formed. "

Erica seemed happy about the immediate results (it helped for a few days). Later she found out her problem was really celiac disease.
Science-Based Medicine Would you like a liver flush with that colon cleanse?

A critical discussion of liver/gallbladder cleansing hoo ha.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Anything that claims to be the one cause or cure of everything is snake oil.
Careful, you might be insulting some deities.

But I think you've got a point there.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Removing the gallbladder sure seems like treating a symptom and not treating the root cause. What really was wrong and how will the issue manifest now that the (early warning) gall bladder is gone and can no longer speak to you?
Old 09-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #25

I had my first attacks at age 19 (1974) while in college. I think it was the horrible food in the dorms. I had the xray and the Dr. saw stones but he recommended that I try to control it with diet rather than surgery. I was able to control it for 9 years by avoiding onions, broccoli, cabbage, etc and fried foods.

In 1983 I was 28 and started to have attacks again. I was working and had good health insurance so I had it removed. Laparoscopy wasn't available yet so I had the regular surgery and was in the hospital for 5 or 6 days on a clear liquid diet. Then I was home for a few weeks before I could go back to work! I remember not being able to drive or lift anything for a while. I was on a restricted diet during recovery but not after that.

I'm glad I had it removed. No problems since then. My sister had an emergency with hers in her 50's and my brother also had his removed after having problems in his 30's.

When I had mine out I asked my Dr. to save the stones for me, I wanted to see them. They were opaque crystals and octagon types. I don't know why I kept them, but I still have them.

Need pictures??
Old 09-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Removing the gallbladder sure seems like treating a symptom and not treating the root cause. What really was wrong and how will the issue manifest now that the (early warning) gall bladder is gone and can no longer speak to you?
My gallbladder never spoke to me. It screamed. By that time it was too late and it had to come out.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hold a seance?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
My gallbladder never spoke to me. It screamed. By that time it was too late and it had to come out.

Like I said, one go-around is usually enough to make most people run to the surgeon.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

Like I said, one go-around is usually enough to make most people run to the surgeon.
Ummm, hmmmm...twernt no fun turnin' into a maraca. I was tickled shatless to contribute to the ER of my surgeon....
Old 09-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #30

Quote:
I think she has a point here. I have the same question she does....
Old 09-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #31

My pains started a year ago, I was diagnosed with heartburn (they never did an ultrasound), had some relief for a while with anti-acids, till I had a persistent severe attack. I told the surgeon to take it out....NOW.
TJ