Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had mine out five years ago. The single attack of pain before the surgery was painful, but the surgery was a snap. I went home as soon as I woke up. Six months later I felt bad for a day and then noticed a tiny twinge of pain in the area of my appendix. I had a similar experience with the appendectomy; in, out, minimal recovery time.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Had mine out back in February. Since I am on my mobile device, here is the link to the thread (easier than typing the story again)...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ad.php?t=80916
Old 11-15-2016, 08:03 PM   #23

Ok well I'll give you the horror story version. Granted I'm still here to type it, and this was 18 years ago:

I had the laproscopic version (lap chole). Surgeon sliced the top of the intestine on the way out without realizing it. I didn't make it out of the hospital same day as expected, and the nurses were telling me to tough it up and get better. 2 days later they figured something was terribly wrong when I was vomiting bile, I was in ICU with 180 pulse and no BP.

Had emer surgery to cut me wide open (8 inch scar), drain me out from bile.... everywhere. Spent another 8 weeks in hosp with drains and more drains and more and more issues. Ice chips were a luxury. 13 cat scans.

Just make sure your doctor has great insurance and a great record, not lots of payout claims. I'm all better now but that was a bad year.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:41 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Wow Aerides. There is a risk to all surgeries. Sorry you were the small percent. Glad you made it. Wow!

Gallbladder and duct disease used to routinely kill people. This, along with appendix surgery, are one of the wonders of medicine in the last 100 years. Many lives have been saved.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

A quick update to my surgery back in February of this year. The first 10 days after surgery were pretty miserable. I had quite a bit of gas buildup and it took that long for it to finally "dissipate". And that was the worst of it. I have been able to eat just about anything I want as long as it's in moderation. I did overdo it once with some fabulous chili cheese dogs, and I paid dearly for it. So, now I just make sure if I have anything fatty or red meat, I eat slowly and consciously.

Also, for YEARS prior to the surgery, I would have gastrointestinal issues quite often but after the surgery, I have noticed a marked improvement in all things gastro related. For me, it was really a miracle surgery and if I knew it would have been so successful, I would have done it earlier. But of course, they didn't cut my intestine when they did it...so there's that!
Old 11-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This was what happened to me. My pancreas and a good chunk of my liver and who knows what else, had been eaten up by pancreatic enzymes spilling into my blood. So, I almost died. I spent several days in the hospital before I was stabilized enough to withstand surgery.

But the surgery itself was a snap!
Sorry you had to go through that. I also forgot, when in the hospital there was no food or drink by mouth, as they feed me intravenously for 7 days before surgery. Before I entered the hospital, IIRC, I weighed a little below 200 lbs. When I came home from the hospital I was so full of fluids, my weight ballooned to 225 lbs and that made me pee almost hourly. After about 2 weeks time I was down to 175 lbs, and now after a year, I'm about 180 lbs. I would also say that my strength has gone down quite a bit and never fully recovered from that episode.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Sorry you had to go through that. I also forgot, when in the hospital there was no food or drink by mouth, as they feed me intravenously for 7 days before surgery. Before I entered the hospital, IIRC, I weighed a little below 200 lbs. When I came home from the hospital I was so full of fluids, my weight ballooned to 225 lbs and that made me pee almost hourly. After about 2 weeks time I was down to 175 lbs, and now after a year, I'm about 180 lbs. I would also say that my strength has gone down quite a bit and never fully recovered from that episode.
That's rugged.

I was only on IV also, but too drugged up on pain meds to think about food. I don't remember much from that week, TBH. Perhaps because I was just in my forties, I fully regained my strength after a while at home. My weight is always a problem and I doubt I weighed myself at all after surgery.... too discouraging! LOL

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Most gallbladders are now removed by laprascope with 3 little incisions.
This is what I had 7 years ago. I was on pain meds for about 5 days, and was off work 2 weeks.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Ok well I'll give you the horror story version. Granted I'm still here to type it, and this was 18 years ago:

I had the laproscopic version (lap chole). Surgeon sliced the top of the intestine on the way out without realizing it. I didn't make it out of the hospital same day as expected, and the nurses were telling me to tough it up and get better. 2 days later they figured something was terribly wrong when I was vomiting bile, I was in ICU with 180 pulse and no BP.

Had emer surgery to cut me wide open (8 inch scar), drain me out from bile.... everywhere. Spent another 8 weeks in hosp with drains and more drains and more and more issues. Ice chips were a luxury. 13 cat scans.

Just make sure your doctor has great insurance and a great record, not lots of payout claims. I'm all better now but that was a bad year.
Sorry that you had complications and glad that you recovered well.

Sister of a good friend in Las Vegas had a more complicated course a month ago as well. Lap chole but the surgeon cut the common bile duct during the procedure. Fortunately recognized the injury at the time but couldn't repair it immediately. Had another scope the next day by a second surgeon and finally an open repair. Recovered quite quickly after that. Even the most minor medical encounters carry risks.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #30

I had mine out in 1983 at age 28. I had been diagnosed with stones at age 19 and managed to avoid surgery by eliminating fatty foods and things like onions, cabbage and broccoli. By age 27 I was back to having periodic problems and was advised to have it out before getting pregnant.

Mine was done before laparoscopy so I had the regular surgery, 5 days in the hospital, very restricted diet for a couple of weeks and six weeks off of work. Never had any problems after that and no food restrictions after recovering.

My son had his out at age 29. He had been having symptoms that I recognized and his doctor sent him for an xray. He had stones (and a family history!) so he had it taken out. His was outpatient, laparoscopy with no food restrictions and a long weekend to recover, mostly because he was on pain pills.

My sister was mid 50's and never had a symptom until she had sudden abdominal pain and almost passed out. Hers was an emergency, done by laparoscopy with a one night stay in the hospital and a very quick recovery.

Good luck with dealing with this. You'll feel much better and the procedure is much easier now than it used to be. And you'll get to join the gallbladder-free club.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:38 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Gallbladder surgery

24 hours after surgery, in pain, on pain pills, but walking around. Hopefully, each day will feel better than the day before. Glad I had the surgery though.

Thanks to everyone for their informative responses!!!
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

PERS, good for you getting it done. I know I have to do it, too. Have had attacks before and put it off because not currently a problem. But I don't want to have a crisis and emergency surgery.
Act2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:02 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

Adding my experience for those who may be having gallbladder surgery and wondering what to expect. I had mine out two days ago as an outpatient. Laparoscopy with four tiny slits and the surgery took about an hour. I refused narcotic pain meds (they make me sick) and was in a moderate amount of pain for a few hours after surgery. I went home six hours after the surgery and went to bed. The next day I was in less pain, ate a light diet and napped twice. Today, still sore but a bit less sore and I also ate more frequently but small amounts at each meal. No naps today. More energy than yesterday. BTW, I'm 60 years old. My dentist is in his 30's and went back to work 2 days after his surgery last year. Not sure I would go to work today if I had a job, but probably could if I had to. I hope this info helps anybody who is going to have this procedure done. It's not too bad overall, just take it easy and let your body heal.
Sangiovese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #34

I went home after 2 days but developed problems, back in hospital for 2 days to get IV. My surgeon said it was the toughest he’s ever had, almost had to split me open.
The difference is mine was unplanned, gallstones force emergency surgery.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:24 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Laproscopic is a piece of cake compared to a gall bladder attack, and it is your ticket out of the fear of eating.

Wish I had done it 10 years earlier.

Gum surgery is a bigger inconvenience.

A planned surgery by someone who does a lot of them is very very safe.

An unplanned surgery overnight on a weekend by whoever happens to be on duty where you are, not so much.
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:04 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Fun fact...you can still get stones even after having your gallbladder removed. Learned that the hard way. Had mine out in 2003 after having attacks during and after my pregnancy. No problems till I started having very similar symptoms every few months starting in 2016. That same spot right under your ribs in the “upper right quadrant” of your abdomen as they call it.

I ignored it, mostly because it was infrequent and short lived. Till one day the pain lasted all day. Went to the ER. Bloodwork showed liver enzymes sky high. Both the nurse & doctor suspected stones in the common bile duct. CT scan confirmed it. I was dreading another surgery but wonderful surprise, they can get common bile duct stones out with an ERCP and just some sedation (like a colonoscopy - I love a good dose a propofol for a great nap while they do their work).

Anyway, sedation, endoscope with a camera down the throat, scoop out the stones, insert a temporary stent in the duct to keep it open while it heals and wake me up good as new. No pain whatsoever afterward, but I did stay in the hospital 1 more day to make sure the bloodwork improved, which it did, dramatically overnight.

I returned a few weeks later for another outpatient ERCP to remove the stent. So, just a word to the wise that if you ever get that old familiar pain again, get it checked. It’s even easier to fix than the gallbladder but if not fixed your liver and pancreas could be in danger. My liver #’s were in the 1,000’s for things that should normally be a value of like 10. I was also getting jaundiced.
SecretlyFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:36 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Most gallbladders are now removed by laprascope with 3 little incisions. But in some cases, the surgeons may have to do the old style surgery which puts you down a few weeks.

You might be down a week total.
I had mine out a few years ago. There wasn’t much too it as it was an outpatient. Just shower with the special wash the night before, show up early and out by ten. My Dr. actually found a hernia, that I had no idea about, during the operation and repaired that as well. I think I slept most of the first day, probably from the anesthesia. Once that wore off, I was pretty sore the first day, but not bad after that. One simple follow up to the Dr. and that was it.
Good Luck
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:41 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I did about 10 years ago. It was nothing. Went to the outpatient surgery center. They did the surgery (did not take long). Left. Was starving so DH stopped at fast food on the way home. I felt fine. Never had any problems from it. I did take the day off and didn't drive.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:26 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Had mine removed 5 years ago.

I had had several attacks per year for a couple of years. Didn't know what it was. Finally, had a bad one, didn't go away, went to the ER; my BP went up to 250.

Surgery was the next day and stayed there for two more days but recovery was fairly easy.

Post Op: I can't eat pizza, clams/oysters or a lot of cheese anymore. C'est la vie. (In spite or my better judgement I tried a few slices of pizza last week after about two years...took me two days to get over it)
Old 04-13-2021, 08:17 AM   #40

I had mine out about 6 years ago. The surgery itself was fine; I was in the hospital overnight afterwards. I had a slight complication and had to wear a drain for 2 1/2 weeks, which was uncomfortable and annoying. The first week I stayed home from work, the second week I secured it tightly under loose-fitting clothes and went to work. I was quite fatigued for the first week.