Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Yes, that is it, sorry I forgot to link it. In addition to her knowledge and familiarity with the literature, I like the way she shows her righteous anger at the way patients, human beings, are basically milked for profit.
I think Blood Sugar 101 is the best site on the planet for diabetes control. Jenny has so much common sense, as well as intelligence, and she takes the time to think about the data, as opposed to already having an opinion and making the data fit her theory. I've recommended her site to both my ex (crummy) doctor, the one who throws pills at the disease, as well as my current (better) doctor. But neither seem to have the time to read a non-ADA approved site. They would both benefit greatly from it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #202
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
In addition to her knowledge and familiarity with the literature, I like the way she shows her righteous anger at the way patients, human beings, are basically milked for profit.

How many diabetes drugs, when someone bothers to do the research, have been shown to hinder survival?

Ha
As an FYI, Jenny will be a guest on Jimmy Moore's Low-Carb podcast on Monday November 7. The link: Interviewing Doctors, Researchers, Scientists, Bloggers and More. | The Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show

I will try to post a reminder nearer the time, as I would expect a very interesting interview (she indicated that she recorded it last week). Jimmy really lets his guests speak their minds, even those he disagrees with.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #203
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In this age of specialization and the ability to do your own research, I really don't expect my Dr to be an expert on subjects like nutrition, especially for diabetics. With this disease, acquiring personal knowledge is everything and Jenny's site is a good one for that.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #204
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
OTOH, see this can of nuts:
I personally go through one of these cans every two weeks. That's almost 400 calories a day, and doesn't include the roasted pecans that I eat. I don't gain weight.
I figure that any calories that I eat of these puppies means calories that I don't eat of something else (something which has more carbs). Use this picture when someone says that eating low carb is depriving oneself.
We buy 10 at a time at Costco.
Al, on behalf of the state of Hawaii, I'd like to thank you for single-handedly supporting the ML product family!

I think the reason macadamias are considered low-carb is because they're 70% fat. Our mongoose love the windfall off our tree...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #205
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Our mongoose love the windfall off our tree...
Interesting grammatically. "love" means the subject "our mongoose" is plural. But then shouldn't it be "our mongooses" or "our mongeese"? I don't have an opinion --- I'm just asking.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #206
Full time employment: Posting here.

I second the notion that if a person needs to lose 15-20 lbs (say 10% of body mass) that several popular diets will likely achieve that. One I know very well is the Dukan and it took 3 1/2 weeks for me to lose 20 lb, which was 10%. BUT, can I keep it off, and can I continue on the Dukan diet for life? I doubt it, but I do know that I got overweight eating pizza, burgers, Mac n Cheese, and pasta. So I know now what the culprits are, and what the consequence is.

In my fairly uncomplicated diet crisis, I have learned that carbs are bad for me (personally) and that a very low carb diet is quick and easy for me. I'm not so sure I feel great about that because it's like an addiction to want those bad foods, but I now see the Dukan diet as my methadone-like fall back position.

I see a yo-yo weight possibilty.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #207
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Al, on behalf of the state of Hawaii, I'd like to thank you for single-handedly supporting the ML product family!
$200 - $300 per year on macadamias. But they taste so good. And to think I used to limit myself to a few nuts when in Hawaii because I thought they were fattening.

Quote:
I think the reason macadamias are considered low-carb is because they're 70% fat.
I would say it like this: they are low carb and high fat.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I second the notion that if a person needs to lose 15-20 lbs (say 10% of body mass) that several popular diets will likely achieve that. One I know very well is the Dukan and it took 3 1/2 weeks for me to lose 20 lb, which was 10%. BUT, can I keep it off, and can I continue on the Dukan diet for life? I doubt it, but I do know that I got overweight eating pizza, burgers, Mac n Cheese, and pasta. So I know now what the culprits are, and what the consequence is.

In my fairly uncomplicated diet crisis, I have learned that carbs are bad for me (personally) and that a very low carb diet is quick and easy for me. I'm not so sure I feel great about that because it's like an addiction to want those bad foods, but I now see the Dukan diet as my methadone-like fall back position.

I see a yo-yo weight possibilty.
You may enjoy this article by Stephan Guyenet. Also his series just before this one, on Food Reward and overweight.

Whole Health Source: Drug Cessation and Weight Gain

Ha
Old 06-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #209
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackontrack View Post
I am certainly not a doctor or nutritionist, but it is something i've been studying for the greater of 2 years now, and here's what I've learned thus far about carbs:

There are definitely the good and the bad carbs, and in order to maintain a good weight you have to eliminate the bad from your diet completely. I have found this to be true in my own diet, as soon as I dropped many bad carbs, I noticed that it was easier to lose weight and keep it off, especially in my abdomen where excess fat is stored more commonly in men.

Good carbs - complex carbohydrates, found in whole grain foods such as oatmeal and whole wheat bread are the best types of carbs for you. They have provide fiber for your body, which has several benefits and take more energy for your body to break them down.

Bad carbs - simple carbs are found in white bread, potatoes, and almost any white colored starch such as spaghetti, white rice, etc. Simple carbs are usually the result of food processing that strips foods of complex carbs, and should be thought of as the equivalent of straight sugar, since your body can convert it to sugar very quickly and using little energy. Even Milk falls into this category.

The thing is that all carbs are essentially converted to sugar in the body, however the body has to expend more energy to break down complex carbs (good for your metabolism), as opposed to simple carbs.

The body's retention of fat in normal circumstances is a result of a chain of events relating to the consumption of sugar...NOT necessarily fat (not that fat doesn't contribute at all, but sugar makes it stick). Sugar triggers the production of insulin, which in turn induces the body to store unused calories as fat in the abs, hips, thighs, butt, etc.

If you want a simple rule to losing weight and keeping it off, eliminate/reduce simple carbs and/or sugar in general from your diet. Period. This is in addition to "eat real food, not too much".

I remember last year about this time I was intensively working out, going to the gym, etc. but not seeing any results. Then I read this book The Belly Fat Cure, and the author broke down what makes people gain weight (that's where the analysis above comes from). I changed my diet, and as soon as a week later after adopting a diet free of sugar and simple carbs, along with regular exercise, I saw my abs tightening up.

This is spot on. I have lost 27 lbs since February without any exercise or reduction in the amount of food I eat. I simply eat anything that is low carb and do not eat any refined carbs. I eat until I am full. No bread, pasta, rice, corn or potatoes. And nothing with excessive sugar. All my blood levels have improved -- dramatically in some areas.

Ironically, I'm eating more fat and calories than I ever have. I don't even look at how many calories or fat the food has -- simply how many carbs. I'm eating eggs, meat, vegetables and some low carb fruits. I make sandwiches using low carb tortillas.

I have proven to myself that this works. No one can convince me otherwise. What jackontrack states is simply logical and makes sense.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #210

Quote:
You may enjoy this article by Stephan Guyenet. Also his series just before this one, on Food Reward and overweight.

Ha
Ha,
Thanks, I need to figure out what triggers my desire for those foods.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #211
Give me a forum ...

I think it says something about our national policy of "eat fruits and vegetables and avoid fats," when our surgeon general looks like this:

I also think that Sasha Obama is on the road to overweight despite being on a "healthy" diet for the last year and a half:

Do you think that Michele Obama and the Surgeon General simply dismiss low carb eating as a fad?

Can you imagine the pressure on that child to not gain weight? The more they tell her to eat less and eat more fruits, the worse it's going to get.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #212
Give me a forum ...

I love fruit. Every Friday night I eat either 6 blueberries or 3 small strawberries.

Ha
Old 06-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #213

Quote:

Ha
My own theory has always been that La Bête Humaine is seeking some level of pleasure, possibly genetically different for each of us. And that pleasure can come in many forms, with the two most obvious activities being sex and eating.

In the case of sexual pleasure, being the Bête that I am, it strikes me that an image of Jennifer Anniston's face alone is enough to invoke desire and that an image of Rosie O'Donnell's face is enough to invoke celibacy. Pondering the issue of what happened to me in life to cause this, I have only to imagine I have been duped by the media and society into believing that Jennifer would be the more enjoyable partner.

Applying that to food, typically as I stand in a buffet line for example, I will be drawn to desire a portion of steaming molten Macaroni and Cheese with a toasty nut brown Béchamel sauce covering it versus say, stewed eggplant. And likewise, I'm not so drawn to this plate of awesome looking veggies, as I am more drawn instantly to this burger.

I cannot help but blame my desire for Jennifer and a big cheeseburger on society, not dopamine. But the article was very interesting and makes me worry that if I ever have to give up sex I am gonna be a beached whale.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #214
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
My own theory has always been that La Bête Humaine is seeking some level of pleasure, possibly genetically different for each of us. And that pleasure can come in many forms, with the two most obvious activities being sex and eating.

In the case of sexual pleasure, being the Bête that I am, it strikes me that an image of Jennifer Anniston's face alone is enough to invoke desire and that an image of Rosie O'Donnell's face is enough to invoke celibacy. Pondering the issue of what happened to me in life to cause this, I have only to imagine I have been duped by the media and society into believing that Jennifer would be the more enjoyable partner.

Applying that to food, typically as I stand in a buffet line for example, I will be drawn to desire a portion of steaming molten Macaroni and Cheese with a toasty nut brown Béchamel sauce covering it versus say, stewed eggplant. And likewise, I'm not so drawn to this plate of awesome looking veggies, as I am more drawn instantly to this burger.

I cannot help but blame my desire for Jennifer and a big cheeseburger on society, not dopamine. But the article was very interesting and makes me worry that if I ever have to give up sex I am gonna be a beached whale.
OK, your testimony is an anecdote, as is mine, but I think the two areas are not comparable in that cross culturally most men choose women (or at least attempt to choose them) with a certain set of characteristics that are said to suggest youth, health and fertility. Likewise, cross culturally, most woman prefer men with a certain set of similar but different characteristics.

No such harmony exists with foods. Every culture has its delicacies that would make people from other cultures vomit. One example is that I love and eat eggplant frequently, but I doubt that I have had mac and cheese since I left my parents' home at 17. My DIL feeds it to my granddaughter and this concerns me. That is how you can produce a fat daughter, who then struggles for years with body image issues. My kids grew up eating quality foods, more like lamb and eggplant stew than mac and cheese. OTOH, DIL is a typical American who is drawn to "comfort foods" because of their association in her experience with feeling loved, safe, cared for, etc.

And, as I wrote in another post, I have personally used conditioning and image-linking to make it almost impossible that I would eat some foods that I have decided are bad for me, even though I once went out of my way to eat them. Our food preferences are quite amenable to cultural, and with intelligent effort, personal control. Likely not at all true of sexual preferences.

Ha
Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #215

I think somewhere in the eating debate the tongue has to be considered. I only have mine to use for tasting and it does not like the taste (evidently) of raw vegetables, most fruit, and sweets. Just doesn't seem to send a good "tongue-to-brain" signal of pleasure. But put some pepperoni pizza on it and that same tongue sends the brain a pleasure message akin to sex.

I suspect if I worked hard enough I could also use the conditioning and image-linking techniques to rid myself of the desire for the food. But I suspect that that would all come tumbling down if I had a subsequent taste of pizza or Mac'n'Cheese. The tongue would know.

It will be interesting to see if smoking significantly decreases among heavy smoker with this new packaging containing graphic images.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #216

I know which of the two would be a healthier, and weight maintaining breakfast. But I also know which would taste best, to me with my personal taste buds. Overcoming pleasure for the sake of health is gonna be a challenge for me.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #217
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
I know which of the two would be a healthier, .
Sugary granola with high sugar milk, high sugar yogurt, and super high sugar jam versus potatoes and bread. I'd call it a toss-up.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Sugary granola with high sugar milk, high sugar yogurt, and super high sugar jam versus potatoes and bread. I'd call it a toss-up.
Good point, hadn't really considered the nutritional value but was succumbing to media hype . As for me, I'd actually skip the hash browns but maybe keep the toast, make it whole grain, and mainly because I love egg sandwiches.

EDIT: And according to the nutritionist in the article from whence the photo was purloined, that sugary breakfast would rev the ole "tabolism" into a frenzy and provide energy boost to make the eater a tiger at work or play or school. In other words, it's the best way to start the day.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #219
Give me a forum ...

OTOH, I would say that most people aren't even aware of the fact that two slices of whole grain bread are the equivalent of at least five teaspoons of sugar, in terms of carbohydrates.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #220

Brau - speaking of carbs, etc. - is there a way to calculate carbs/calories of home brews? I gained 30 lbs over the winter after I started brewing and switched from bud light to my own beer. I've lost about 15, but now i'm eating better and running or biking every day mixed with weights and i'm only losing about 1 lb every 2 weeks. DW swears that it's due to my beer - I average 2-3 a day.