Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2010, 02:43 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Another mystery is: How do you get Iodine into your body without Table Salt?
Oysters? Liver? KI pills?Don't know myself, but these things jump to mind.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a nodule on my thyroid and have been looking online for iodine information. Iodine deficiency is more rare than it used to be because of all the processed foods that people tend to eat (salted with iodized salt) BUT, before all the cr*p food, people on the coasts usually didn't have "goiter" since they ate more fish products.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Kelp
Help?

Oh! Never mind...

Anyway, here's a cupful. Yummy.

Kelp.JPG

No Iodine, either. (Yeah, I know, it doesn't show it there.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am struggling with how to maintain a proper nutrition balance without taking a multi-vitamin.
Why do you want to avoid taking a multi-vitamin?

Quote:
I drink a lot of skim milk (1-3 quarts per day)
Three quarts means you are getting 39 teaspoons of sugar per day.

Skim Milk:

Sugar:

Old 12-31-2010, 03:11 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a nodule on my thyroid and have been looking online for iodine information. Iodine deficiency is more rare than it used to be because of all the processed foods that people tend to eat (salted with iodized salt) BUT, before all the cr*p food, people on the coasts usually didn't have "goiter" since they ate more fish products.
Always check these out with your MD. Best not to self diagnose here.

Ha
Old 12-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You mean other than the "challenge"?

It's the "control issue." Taking a multi-vitamin in an amount to supplement (in my wild imagination) would supply me with a tremendous excess of those elements that were supplied "naturally."

For instance, Vitamin K is used by the body to give blood its coagulation qualities. Since I take Warfarin (a blood "thinner" for A. Fib.), I don't want to upset that delicate balance. I know I can adjust my Warfarin dosage as needed but that is a major pain -- I do have blood drawn every 8 weeks and that is often enough. I have been on the same Warfarin dosage for five years now so it appears my diet has it under control.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a nodule on my thyroid and have been looking online for iodine information.
Yesterday, On the Dr. Oz show, he mentioned that Thyroid Cancer is the most common Cancer among women. He spent a considerable portion of his hour showing how to self-examine and other stuff. You might be able to find a YouTube version by Googling for it.

Anyway, Ha is correct... do not self diagnose and/or prescribe.
My Approach
Old 12-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

My Approach

To get even further off the original topic, here are some answers about my approach in case anyone finds them at all interesting or useful.

Please do not rely on anything I am saying here without doing your own research. I have not spent nearly as much time as I would like researching nutrition or exercise; but, as I mentioned in another post some time ago, that is high on my retirement to do list.

Quote:
I have read several studies where various nutrients seemed to show benefits when consumed from food sources but supplementation did not produce the same benefit. I have a couple of hypothesisses (neither original, I'm sure) to explain this:
  1. The chemical structure of the supplement is slightly different from what is found naturally in food. Consider all of the different molecules that are labeled Vitamin E or Vitamin A for example.
  2. The measured benefit was not from the nutrient being measured but from something else that occurs in the same food sources as the nutrient being studied.
Even though I do not understand the mechanism behind it; I have become convinced that obtaining my nutritional from natural sources is preferable to obtaining it via supplementation. However, I am also convinced that supplementation is better than under-nutrition; so, I do take a multivitamin on those days when I am not able to (or, just choose not to) eat this healthily.

Quote:
Three quarts means you are getting 39 teaspoons of sugar per day.
Yep. But, I am not a low carb. guy. I basically just worry about total calories and adequate nutrition: CRON-diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do think there is significant evidence that refined carbs aren't good for you. So, I have pretty much eliminated sodas, white bread, etc. from my diet. I also find the evidence for a low fat diet compelling; so, I also try (with some days being spectacular failures on this front) to limit my total fat intake to 20% of my total daily caloric intake. However, I consider this to basically be tinkering around the edges. My main dietary concerns are total calories and adequate nutrition.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Oysters?
You understand that the Oysters available to me are the "Rocky Mountain" kind don't you?
Old 12-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You understand that the Oysters available to me are the "Rocky Mountain" kind don't you?
Trying to steer you in the wrong direction...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I have read several studies where various nutrients seemed to show benefits when consumed from food sources but supplementation did not produce the same benefit. I have a couple of hypothesisses (neither original, I'm sure) to explain this:
  1. The chemical structure of the supplement is slightly different from what is found naturally in food. Consider all of the different molecules that are labeled Vitamin E or Vitamin A for example.
  2. The measured benefit was not from the nutrient being measured but from something else that occurs in the same food sources as the nutrient being studied.
3. The benefit is not real, but only perceived, due to an ideological commitment to natural.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:27 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
It's OK Ron. Have a ball!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmm, that is unfortunate indeed.

Ha
Old 01-01-2011, 06:01 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah. If only Denver was on the Ocean... <sigh>

Oh! There is such a place... they call it San Diego.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #75

Quote:
I have to say that low carbing has not worked as well for Lena as for me. In spite of the fact that we eat the same stuff, she's had a lot more fluctuations in weight, and not as much loss. She just doesn't get the same hunger suppression that I do.
I remember I read a book by Diana Schwarzbein (I believe she is an endocronologist) long time ago and I think it was the 2nd book that she had out that explained the blood sugar and estrogen connection. She prescribes estrogen for women who cannot lose weight using the Schwarzbein Principle (which is basically lowcarb with liberal amount of fat), so maybe your wife's reason is at least partially that (estrogen decline). (Maybe for men, testosterone level matters, but I don't remember if she said anything about men in her book...)

I actually read in the menopausal forums/books that many women lose their weight when put on testosterone (as well as estrogen since evidently, estorgen level must be made adequate before testosterone, or you would end up getting excess testosterone symptoms (greasy hair, pimples, aggressiveness, male pattern boldness, etc) and also, I think improving your estrogen level helps out with using their free testosterone in the body more effectively). Anyway right amount of estrogen by itself seems to improve BS levels and cholesterol profile as well as cardiovascular health (although none of that happens if you are on synthetic estrogen or synthetic estrogen/testosterone.)

Your wife isn't supplementing herself with any progesterone (high dose progesterone cream is everywhere - it's an OTC item) (without adequate amount of estrogen), is she? That, according to what I read, would worsen her insulin resistence, weight gain, cholesterol profile, etc, as well as raising her cortisol level.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #76

Quote:

Ha
Ha, you live in a perfect area for great seafood! Have you been eating dungeness crabs? I live in the bay area and they supposedly have been having the best dungeness crab season in 5 years. I have been stocking up on them.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #77

Quote:
Always check these out with your MD. Best not to self diagnose here.

Ha
Thanks Ha...had a biopsy about 2 years ago, wasn't a a problem at that time. Just had an ultrasound last week to see if it has grown any. Hopefully not a problem now either.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks Ha...had a biopsy about 2 years ago, wasn't a a problem at that time. Just had an ultrasound last week to see if it has grown any. Hopefully not a problem now either.
Happy, I am glad to hear that. I am so paranoid about thyroid cancer that I will almost never allow the dentist to x-ray me. Good to hear that you are keeping on top of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Ha, you live in a perfect area for great seafood! Have you been eating dungeness crabs? I live in the bay area and they supposedly have been having the best dungeness crab season in 5 years. I have been stocking up on them.

Yes; they are really cheap in the markets now. When I first moved up here I lived west of Dungeness Bay, and caught my own crabs with a copper hoop and netting attached to an old broomstick. I put a trident on the other end to spear flatfish. Floated a washtub along attached to my belt to put the catch. All we needed was a low tide.

Also there was (I think still is) a very nice restaurant that specializes in Dungeness crab in Sequim, the Three Crabs. Sequim Dungeness Seafood Restaurant The Three Crabs

Another delicious seafood that seems to be in good supply this year is Alaskan King Crab legs- product of the world's most dangerous fishery.

Ha
Old 01-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Here's our Dungeness crab dinner from the other night:

Old 01-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's our Dungeness crab dinner from the other night:
Excellent Post. Thank you for sharing.