Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #21
Administrator

Nice video Al - thanks for posting.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Hej Ron- can you do my yesterday analysis?

bkfst: 3 large eggs, pat butter, 2 tbsp onions, i oz. chedar cheese

snack: tbsp natural peanut butter

lunch:12 oysters, 20 mussels, (2) 4 oz glassses white wine

Supper: 175 gm spinach, 2tbsp bacon grease, 1 pat butter, 1 large egg, 1 oz cheddar cheese

Don't do it if it is too much trouble Ron.

Mike
Recognize that your "Goals" are, no doubt, different than mine. Oh! Yeah. I had to guess at the weight of an Oyster and a Mussell.

Food Log.JPG

Goal.JPG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Recognize that your "Goals" are, no doubt, different than mine. Oh! Yeah. I had to guess at the weight of an Oyster and a Mussell.
Thanks! I have no idea what a medium oyster weighs either. The wine was much drier than a Riesling, so the carb count was actually probably a little lower. I am surprised at the fairly high amount of sodium, but I guess the little buggers do come straight out of the sea. Gives me an idea of how salty much food is though, because raw oysters do not taste particularly salty.

I am also surprised at the low calorie count. No wonder it is easy to right weight on this food, as although I felt hungry right before every meal, I did not feel hungry at any other time during the day.

Thanks again Ron! Really interesting software.

Ha
Old 12-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am surprised at the fairly high amount of sodium, but I guess the little buggers do come straight out of the sea. Gives me an idea of how salty much food is though, because raw oysters do not taste particularly salty.
Yeah, I am having a difficulty understanding the Salt thing, also. My Salt intake is much greater than I want it to be and I don't add Salt to anything or eat much (if any) processed food. on the other hand, there is some who think a higher salt intake is needed for a LC diet -- something to do with Water retention and "waste" functions.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RonBoyd...I must have missed something. What is this software you are using?
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
RonBoyd...I must have missed something. What is this software you are using?
Now, that was my fault for not providing context. If you "Search" the Forums for "NutriBase" with my User Name (RonBoyd), you will find, at least, three other threads along these lines.

Anyway, the program can be found here:

NutriBase Diet Software for Individuals and Families

(To those "Troll" paranoiaiacs, I have no interest in this company/program other than as a user.)
Old 12-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Another new and somewhat unconventional book on the subject. I'm tempted to buy & read it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thefourhourbody.jpg (14.9 KB, 160 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I'm still stuck back on the old calories-in vs. calories-out theory. I watched the video above, and I've read some of Taubes' newsmag pieces (though not his books), and I'm just not persuaded. It may be that insulin spikes and all that typically stimulate appetites with the result that we tend to over eat, but I am not a slave to my appetites. Whether or not I get hungry, I can choose to eat less, and when I do, I will lose weight. It really does work.
I agree with what you are saying but... You will notice that both HaHa and I consumed 1,600-1,700 calories in a day WITHOUT being hungry. I don't know if that can be done in the normal (read government recommended) high Carb/low Fat diet. (I would be curious about your daily calorie count, for instance.) Again, hunger can, of course, be overcome by sheer will power but again I ask "Why"?
Old 12-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I'm eating low carb or just regular (with carbs) I don't eat low fat any more. I find I feel better and less hungry if I don't restrict fat. So far no heart attacks and I just ignore the standard diet advice my otherwise excellent internist gives me. So far not on cholesterol meds. I think we are intended to be omnivores and that includes fat (and it tastes so good!)........

When I'm trying to lose weight (on LC) I do really strict Atkins. It's quicker and more satisfying than any other diet plan I've tried.

Right now I'm just kind of maintaining. I need to start losing again, but not right now. Maybe February. I am trying not to gain, so far only put on a pound at Thanksgiving... Small portions.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've found good substitutes for most things, and am not at all bored:

Carb Food, Substitute
----------------------
Chips, Pork Rinds
Pasta, Dreamfields Pasta
Waffles, Same made with CarbQuik
Pancakes, Same made with CarbQuik
Biscuits, Same made with CarbQuik
Chocolate, Chocolate made with artificial sweetener or Chocoperfection
Cranberry Sauce, Cranberry Sauce made with artificial sweetener
Beer, Michelob Ultra
Milk, Michelob Ultra, A&W Diet Root beer
Bread, Oopsies
Cake and Cookies, Waffles with 0-carb syrup and butter or brownies made with CarbQuik
Mashed potatoes, Cauliflower mash with lots of heavy cream and butter

For other things that have no near-equivalents, there's the satisfaction of eating lots of bacon, butter, cream, and rib-eye steaks.
Thanks for the tips, Al. I've been doing the low-carb thing (somewhat modified) for about 6-7 months now, and it has really worked for me. Dropped 20 lbs., blood pressure came down, and I feel great. I did have to modify it somewhat, though, because I found that if I ate no grains whatsoever (as I did for the first few months), I had a hard time maintaining my weight (and I did not need to lose any more weight at that point). So, I added small portions of some grains back into my diet (mostly brown rice, a little barley and wild rice), and I can now maintain weight (without adding any), and my BP remains good. I'm scheduled for a blood test in a couple months, so we'll how the cholesterol, HDL/LDL, triglycerides, etc. turn out, but I'm guessing they will be okay.

I've tried the Dreamfields Pasta, and even though the carb content is supposed to be low, I noticed that it did raise my BP a bit, and it also started putting some weight back on, so I stopped eating it. I hadn't heard of the CarbQuick product until now, so I'll give that a try. I did give up bread completely, and although that was hard at first, I don't miss it at all anymore. I don't care to use any artificial sweeteners or drink diet sodas (or any soda), but I don't have a sweet tooth anyway, so I don't miss the sugar (I occasionally have a piece of dark chocolate). I eat a fair amount of red meat......mostly lamb (that I get locally from a farmer) and wild game (deer), but also some beef and chicken. I eat two farm eggs every day with my breakfast also. I don't eat a lot of bacon, because I can't find the uncured bacon around here, and I don't want to consume cured meat products (too many nitrates/nitrates). I don't eat any lunchmeat or other processed meats either, and I don't miss them at all. I eat a lot of veggies........whatever is in season (lots of veggies from my garden during the summer and fall). I do drink beer (my wife brews great beer, so there is no way I can not drink a few beers now and then .......).

I'm still learning, and chances are I will continue to modify my diet based on how I feel and how the blood work turns out. But right now, I'm pretty comfortable with it.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:03 AM   #31

Quote:
(I would be curious about your daily calorie count, for instance.) Again, hunger can, of course, be overcome by sheer will power but again I ask "Why"?
I've never counted calories, personally. My method of dieting is to avoid foods which, rumor has it, do have lots of calories, and are not very good for me, either: sugar, starch, fat.

Why depend on will power rather than a method which reduces appetite? No reason. In disagreeing with Taubes' ideas, I am concerned with the question of truth, not efficacy. I never meant to imply that his, or other similar recommended regimes didn't work to take off weight. But he seems to be saying, and that video linked to says, that the traditional theory that weight gain is due to taking in more calories than you use is wrong. But it's not wrong -- it's right. This does not mean that the best way to lose weight is to simply reduce intake calories -- that's another matter altogether.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But he seems to be saying, and that video linked to says, that the traditional theory that weight gain is due to taking in more calories than you use is wrong. But it's not wrong -- it's right.
Actually, what they are saying is along the line of it makes a difference where those calories come from -- if from Sugar (natural or through the body's starch conversion process) the calories gets stored away, while those from Fats, Protein, and Alcohol are burned up right away.

No one disputes that excess calories are a cause of weight gain. It's that Carbohydrates are so much more efficient at putting the pounds on. If you have a need for storing energy (like an Athlete before an event) than Carbs are the way to go. However, unless you use those calories, for that type of activity, before taking in more, they will simply sit there waiting.

Again, I am unsure if I am that qualified to explain this since I am only just beginning my "tour of Discovery."
Old 12-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Now, that was my fault for not providing context. If you "Search" the Forums for "NutriBase" with my User Name (RonBoyd), you will find, at least, three other threads along these lines.

Anyway, the program can be found here:

NutriBase Diet Software for Individuals and Families

(To those "Troll" paranoiaiacs, I have no interest in this company/program other than as a user.)
If you are interested in a free and open source alternative (probably not quite a feature rich), take a look at CRON-O-Meter

I have used this for a couple of years and am even considering making some enhancements and submitting them to the project.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
If you are interested in a fee free and open source alternative (probably not quite a feature rich), take a look at CRON-O-Meter.
Good catch. I would have, certainly, considered this program... had I only known of it. It looks to be all that is needed.

I did, however, start with Nutribase about five years ago and now am fully "invested" in it.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm still stuck back on the old calories-in vs. calories-out theory. I watched the video above, and I've read some of Taubes' newsmag pieces (though not his books), and I'm just not persuaded.
Quote:
In other words, calories in/calories out is true, but not helpful in understanding weight gain or loss.
I'm with GregLee on this one. What I saw in that lead in is they say Calories in/out is not true. That's the problem I have with Taubes - I read one of his early pieces, skimmed his books, and though he may be right about a lot of this, his presentation is so twisted (IMO) that it raises red flags for me. Doesn't mean he's wrong.

I think what he is saying (and I believe to be mostly true), is not that C-in/out doesn't matter, but there are food choices which are more satisfying, and therefore you are more likely to stick to the diet. Then say that. He loses me when he seems to misrepresent stuff.

Recall the 'twinkie diet'? The guy lost weight through calorie reduction, regardless of the food type. And I think a normal person could not stick to that diet - but it adds evidence that C-in/out do matter.

Quote:
I've found good substitutes for most things, and am not at all bored:

Carb Food, Substitute
----------------------
Beer, Michelob Ultra
OFGS. I think calling that stuff (I can't even type the name) a 'good' substitute for real beer must be in violation of one of the forum rules, or at least it should be. Might as well call a hand-drawn flip book a substitute for attending a 3-D movie in a first rate theater. Or Ameriprise a 'good substitute' for index investing! I wonder if this diet is affecting your judgement (j/k)?

In a similar vein, I have seen studies that the sugar substitute stuff doesn't lead to people losing weight (may actually lead to weight gain). Note I said 'lead to', not 'causes'. The explanations were that the sugar substitutes trigger the body to expect that sugar rush, and when the body doesn't get it it creates cravings for even more food. So it actually worked against the goals, people and animal studies showed they took in more overall calories and gained more weight with the sugar substitutes.

I eat very little sweet stuff (stick to black coffee, no sodas, very dark chocolate, etc...), not really an issue for me.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Al,

Where do you buy your Carbquik? Do you buy yours online? I looked at their site for retailers, but I didn't find any stores near me.

Thanks!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Where do you buy your Carbquik? Do you buy yours online? I looked at their site for retailers, but I didn't find any stores near me.
Netrition.com has it: Carbquik

There is this site but, for my Zip Code, there were no Retailers: Where to find it
Old 12-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I hadn't been lowcarbing (well, compared to the average person, I eat less carb, but I had been slipping...)

My fasting BS (blood test at the Dr's office) last time was 101 (1 point over the normal range - it actually didn't have 10 hours in between because I had to work late and ate a small meal before going to bed), so I bought a glucose meter and have been checking again. I have also bought a A1C kit and it was 5.6 (which isn't great.) I actually went through this (self-checking) over 10 years ago and I consider myself pre-diabetic (my BS went up high (180-200) when I ate a lot of carb, although the low (fasting) was pretty good - between 75-90, and it looks like the trend is still the same 10 years later....).

I am noticing though that my BS may be, say 130 one hour after I eat something with some carb with some protein, but if I chase it with a big portion of protein and fat, the BS goes down to 100 very quickly. (Isn't that strange or what?)

Anyway, I am not into sweets too much (except for dark chocolate and occasional donut holes at work when I am really tired) and I don't like the taste of sweets with splenda or stevia (both tastes pretty horrible to me. I experimented with low carb bread, pasta, etc 10 years ago too but there wasn't nothing that tasted good enough at the time...), but I do have a box of xylitol (I bought it years ago and is still half full. It is birch sugar used in toothpaste etc). Xylitol to me has no strange artificial flavor and it is not supposed to affect our blood sugar although it has calories (1/2 of regular sugar) and much better than mannitol and sorbitol (I did research on this like 10 years ago but I cannot remember what the reason for that was anymore...)

I am not overweight by the way (5'5 120 lb), so I do need some carb.

One serving of al dente Dreamfield pasta with a little butter (by itself without any accompaniment of protein) raised my BS to 140. I need to repeat the test with tons of fat and protein along with the pasta and see...
Old 12-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Netrition.com has it: Carbquik

There is this site but, for my Zip Code, there were no Retailers: Where to find it
Thank you Ron. I just looked up the ingredients and it has splenda in it which is usually a deal breaker for me, but I am sure others will appreciate the link you posted. The price looks really good. I may even try it and see if the splenda in it is so small that I could even like this thing.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I just looked up the ingredients and it has splenda in it which is usually a deal breaker for me...
So what do you suggest for a no-Carb Sweetner?