Join Early Retirement Today

Gary Taubes to Speak in Seattle Thursday, 4/15/10
Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Gary Taubes to Speak in Seattle Thursday, 4/15/10

Gary Taubes the health journalist and obesity writer is speaking tomorrow in Room A420 of the UW Health Sciences Building, 1959 NE Pacific St, near Husky Stadium. It is free, and starts at noon. Most of you locals know that parking is found east of 25th NE, but be sure to allow yourselves plenty of time.

I plan to go.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I plan to go.
Please report back afterwards.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Absolutely, let us know if what you find interesting.

Meanwhile, not quite 3 weeks on my own version of low-carb, no-sugar diet and I feel fantastic. The only downside is the expense for some new clothes, because the old ones are too big now. I can live with it.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Carbs Drive Insulin Production Drives Fat Accumulation

"Carbs drive insulin production drives fat accumulation" = "Carbs drive fat accumulation." This is the nutshell summary of a long and very interesting talk by Gary Taubes today. The presentaion is not much different from what many of us have seen on YouTube, although one can better see the metabolic pathway slides.

I got there early and spent 20 or so very pleasant minutes talking to Gary and the guys who had set up his talk. He is a super likeable man. Also, he is a good advertisement for the low carb idea- he is a big guy, maybe 6'1" and 190# or so, and very lean. He was a college boxer.

His presentation moves along nicely with few or no umms or you knows. He answered questions for over an hour after a long talk, and never showed impatience or fatigue.

One young woman asked if his family eats low carb- he said well, my wife is a vegetarian, and I have one 4 year old and one baby- so not exactly!

He did say that his wife made him take out a life insurance policy because she is sure that although his diet seems to help him, it will one day visit upon him abrupt thrombosis. Another anecdote- her sister has a trainer who said that he found useful things in Good Calories, Bad Calories. This helped his wife to feel that perhaps he was not totally nuts, and she gave up french fries and some desserts, whereupon she lost a quick 20#.

My editorial comment is that this diet is unlikely to be the answer to all the world's problems, but it certainly is a good way to lose weight for most people, and it seems no more harmful and perhaps less harmful than many other interventions. I don't know how it could ever become a mass diet here, as the US would quickly run out of meat and then start draining Argentina and Australia.

As I have said before, I have eaten like this for 15 years. My only complaint is that it costs a fair amount, and it can present social obstacles. I don't worry about the health questions, among other reasons because my grandfather lived on milk and butter and bacon and ham and corn and lima beans, saw a doctor once in his life, never took an antibiotic, and lived healthy enough to do a full day's work on a farm which used horse and mule power- all until one January morning he had a heart attack at age 84. As Taubes said- when some drug study says that doing this or that gives on average an extra 3 months of lifespan, don't expect that to be an extra three months tacked onto your honeymoon. More likely an extra 3 months in the tube-farm.

Taubes mentioned that his family has recently moved to Berkely from NYC, in part to get a kitchen big enough to do some real cooking.

Ha
Old 04-16-2010, 12:22 AM   #5

Thanks for the report, Ha. Your observations and comments were enlightening.
Quote:
My only complaint is that it costs a fair amount, ...
Yes, I'm a little astounded at how much I'm forking over at the grocery store this last three weeks.
Quote:
Taubes mentioned that his family has recently moved to Berkely from NYC, in part to get a kitchen big enough to do some real cooking.
Lot's of cooking in this way of eating. Luckily I'm retired so I have the time, but I have to plan meals, shop for them (adding in extra time for reading labels), and then do the cooking. Carbs were just so darned easy - no label reading and easy to cook. Doing it right takes an effort.

It was interesting to hear Taubes' comments about his wife's opinions and the changes she made in her diet. I have not tried to convert anyone around here, but I was so enthused by Lustig's talk that I found I was trying to explain it to everyone but wasn't doing it justice. Finally I told my wife and youngest son, "you have to sit down and watch this video and see it explained." She was alarmed at the prevalence of fructose in foods she thought were healthy, and how much sucrose there are in other foods. She's started reading labels and making a few different food choices.

I also got her and the oldest kid to watch King Corn with me a few nights ago. It shocked her further, especially the part about feed lot diet being deadly to cows if they are there too long. Our sons have been impressed with the information, but with both of them having less than 10% body fat on them I doubt they will make any changes soon. Both have caught a little flack in school about being tall and skinny, the youngest was even complaining that he needed to fatten up. But then he discovered that low body fat means the muscles show easily, and chicks dig six-pack abs, so it's all good now.
Quote:
...and it can present social obstacles.
Is that just because your food choices don't always match what's on the menu, or do people question your choices?
Quote:
...and lived healthy enough to do a full day's work on a farm which used horse and mule power- all until one January morning he had a heart attack at age 84. As Taubes said- when some drug study says that doing this or that gives on average an extra 3 months of lifespan, don't expect that to be an extra three months tacked onto your honeymoon. More likely an extra 3 months in the tube-farm.
Very nicely said. I don't want to go quickly while working on a farm, but I much prefer being healthy one moment and then dead the next, as opposed to bubbling away on the tubes for months. I used to say that I wanted to go in my 90's, after being shot by the jealous lover of a 25-year-old blond, beautiful, nymphomaniac, with large breasts, loose morals, and (obviously) a low cull factor.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As Taubes said- when some drug study says that doing this or that gives on average an extra 3 months of lifespan, don't expect that to be an extra three months tacked onto your honeymoon. More likely an extra 3 months in the tube-farm.
Yeah. I repeat:

These are them.jpg

Anyway, thanks for reporting back... lots of food for thought. (Pun somewhat intended.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Yes, I'm a little astounded at how much I'm forking over at the grocery store this last three weeks.
I find myself hoping that I'm going to make it up over the next three decades of medical bills. But I've also noticed that our house is also spending a lot less on beer, soda, bread, rice, and candified foods. Lots more fowl/fish/tofu, raw fruit, and fresh veggies.

Quote:
Lot's of cooking in this way of eating.
Spouse and I hate to cook and have gradually culled our recipe folder down to about 10-15 dishes on a rotating menu. Lots of raw ingredients cooked in bulk with a few more weeks of freeze/reheat. Once or twice every few weeks we'll have an hour's food prep, but most of the time it's dinner in 20-30 minutes.

I'm thinking that it might be time to upgrade our Friday-night Costco pizza from cheese to their combo. Hopefully I can handle all that greasy protein...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I find myself hoping that I'm going to make it up over the next three decades of medical bills. But I've also noticed that our house is also spending a lot less on beer, soda, bread, rice, and candified foods. Lots more fowl/fish/tofu, raw fruit, and fresh veggies.

Spouse and I hate to cook and have gradually culled our recipe folder down to about 10-15 dishes on a rotating menu. Lots of raw ingredients cooked in bulk with a few more weeks of freeze/reheat. Once or twice every few weeks we'll have an hour's food prep, but most of the time it's dinner in 20-30 minutes.
I have a way to go before I can get to that degree of efficiency and an economy of cooking on a large scale. There's still a lot of experimentation going on to see what I want to eat out of all the stuff I should be eating. But I am already thinking of my first cook and freeze-a-thon. Chicken breasts, pounded thin and stuffed/wrapped around cheese and veggies (asparagus or spinach).

I continue to be encouraged by how much better I feel, the quality of sleep I'm getting, my increased energy and attention levels, etc. It's important that whenever I feel a little put out by the rigors of the transition that I remind myself that I'm not on a diet, I have changed the way I eat - for life.

Alton Brown from the Food Channel lost 50 Lbs by changing what he ate. I don't eat the same as he does (I eat a lot more meat, fish, poultry, etc) but he doesn't call what he does a diet either.
Quote:
His first list he eats from daily include: fruits, whole grains, leafy greens, nuts, carrots, and green tea. His second list he eats from at least 3 times a week include: oily fish, yogurt, broccoli, sweet potato, and avocado. His third list he eats from no more than 1 time a week include: red meat, pasta, dessert, and alcohol. His fourth list includes foods he avoids which includes fast food, soda, processed meals (TV dinners), canned soups (salt), and "diet" anything because this was not a diet.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have a way to go before I can get to that degree of efficiency and an economy of cooking on a large scale. There's still a lot of experimentation going on to see what I want to eat out of all the stuff I should be eating. But I am already thinking of my first cook and freeze-a-thon. Chicken breasts, pounded thin and stuffed/wrapped around cheese and veggies (asparagus or spinach).
I think part of it is being able to adjust attitudes toward "food for fuel" and training taste buds away from sugars & other simple carbs. Or in my case, finding the perfect dark chocolate made with an artificial sweetener.

The advantage is that you're already familiar with eating weird/dubious food served in strange places under chaotic battlefield conditions. Hopefully I'm talking about the Marine Corps.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote