Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Update to Aetna Leaving California
Old 09-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Update to Aetna Leaving California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
DH and I got the same letters today. We read a couple of weeks ago that Aetna was not going to be part of the Covered California exchange.
In June I posted that DH and I would be losing our Aetna coverage at the end of 2013, since Aetna is leaving the California market for individual coverage.

Last week I received a letter from Costco Insurance, telling me that there is some sort of partnership between Aetna and Costco; this partnership will extend my Aetna insurance through December 2014, if I choose to remain with that plan. I don't have any other information on it right now.

My husband, who has a pre-existing condition, did not receive the same letter or the same offer.

Did anyone else receive anything similar?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have not received a letter from Costco yet(no pre-existing). If the exchange rolls out as anticipated I will look for a good fit there. It would be nice to have a fallback position if the exchange falters.
I'll be checking the mailbox.....thanks for the info.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I have not received a letter from Costco yet either. Although Aetna did send me one a few weeks ago saying that my premiums for November and December would go up 15% (my renewal date is November 1). Thanks a lot.

I have no pre-existing, but my son who is on my policy does have one.

I wonder if that's the determining factor for Costco--no pre-existing conditions?
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #24

I think it is important to understand that Costco is not the insurance company. Costco is an insurance agent for Aetna, and others. You may get a letter from Costco, but only to let you know about a new health insurer.

Accidental Retiree: you got a letter announcing Aetna was leaving the market, but your husband did not. Are you each buying your own health insurance through Costco, or did you buy a single policy?

I am thinking if you are both on the same policy you would have only gotten one letter.

-- Rita
Old 09-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post

Accidental Retiree: you got a letter announcing Aetna was leaving the market, but your husband did not. Are you each buying your own health insurance through Costco, or did you buy a single policy?

I am thinking if you are both on the same policy you would have only gotten one letter.

-- Rita
Rita, we did not buy our insurance through Costco. We bought it directly from Aetna, back in 2011, once DH's COBRA coverage, which covered both of us, ran out.

DH and I have had separate policies. He had to get one with guaranteed underwriting due to his pre-existing condition. I could have gone in under his plan, but I did not, as it was much less expensive for me to get my own policy.

My husband and I each got a letter back in June, telling us that our Aetna policies would be done 12/31/13, because Aetna is leaving the market for individuals.

Then just recently I got a letter from Costco Insurance mentioning that June letter but then telling me that my high-deductible Aetna policy could be continued through 12/14 if I choose to do that instead of get a more expensive policy on the exchange. Something like that.

That surprised me. Costco now has my Aetna info, and I thought Aetna was leaving California.

I did not know Costco was in the insurance business, and now they are into MY insurance business.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Rita, we did not buy our insurance through Costco. We bought it directly from Aetna, back in 2011, once DH's COBRA coverage, which covered both of us, ran out.

My husband and I each got a letter back in June, telling us that our Aetna policies would be done 12/31/13, because Aetna is leaving the market for individuals.

That surprised me. Costco now has my Aetna info, and I thought Aetna was leaving California.

I did not know Costco was in the insurance business, and now they are into MY insurance business.
AR,
It sounds like Aetna has given your information to one of their insurance agents, Costco. They can do that as they won't be in the market in California. It would have been nice if they had explained what their relationship with Costco is. A google search on Costco Health Insurance, brings up their relationship.

-- Rita