Join Early Retirement Today

Getting Health Insurance in New Jersey (NJ)
Old 04-23-2007, 06:15 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Getting Health Insurance in New Jersey (NJ)

Hello,

I have a few questions about getting private health insurance in NJ. I would like to ER sometime in 2008 & want to plan /budget for my health-insurance.

I have seen the options on eHealthinsurance.com. Are there more options out there besides Oxford and Horizon BC/BS? Where can I find a list?

I'd also like to hear from NJ residents on this board.
What plan are you using, how much does it cost, family size & are you happy with coverage?

I am glad we are guaranteed health insurance in NJ, but the costs are high! Any tips to save costs while still being covered?

Thank you.
ww
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Getting Health Insurance in New Jersey (NJ)
Old 04-23-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here is info. on New Jersey Individual Health Insurance options:

http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/ihcrates.htm
mykidslovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #3

The previous link summarizes our situation in NJ.... Bleak.
Let me know what you decide.
Self-employed at this time, plus 10yo DS, and DW. We decided to be uninsured for the moment.

Our choices:
We might decide to
- stay uninsured,
- move,
- take a job, :P
- pay the $12000+/yr premium ($10k deductible)

None of the choices seem reasonable unfortunately. So for the moment we are keeping things as is since my S-corp has a local contract.

Note that in NJ there is no short term insurance allowed and no catastrophic insurance either. We are also facing high homeownership cost.

Moving comes to mind. Let me know what you decide....
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
The previous link summarizes our situation in NJ.... Bleak.
Ahhhh, but isn't guaranteed issue and community rating wonderful? Hey - Colorado is a nice place to live!
Old 04-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #5

I just got approved for health insurance coverage today in California. After I saw this thread, I ran the numbers for New Jersey. It looks like I would pay 4 to 5 times more for similar coverage in New Jersey. And there is very little competition, considering the high population of New Jersey.

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
I just got approved for health insurance coverage today in California. After I saw this thread, I ran the numbers for New Jersey. It looks like I would pay 4 to 5 times more for similar coverage in New Jersey. And there is very little competition, considering the high population of New Jersey.

Kramer
That's what "guaranteed issue" and "community rating" regulation does to a market. It drives out most of the competition, leaving prohibitive rates for everyone. The intentions are good; i.e....legislators are trying to make it easier for uninsurables to get insured, but in the process, they make it so that only the very elite can get coverage.

Conclusion: Equality isn't always the best solution. Sometimes, you have to have a little bit of inequality to get the best result for the MAJORITY of people!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer

Kramer
I had done exactly the same comparison. California seem to have much more affordable health care and plenty of competition.

By curiosity which top insurers in CA did you consider? Which one did you elect?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #8

Quote:
I had done exactly the same comparison. California seem to have much more affordable health care and plenty of competition.

By curiosity which top insurers in CA did you consider? Which one did you elect?
He went with Aetna!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #9

Perinova, my journey is documented in this thread:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...?topic=13377.0

California has indirect taxes, too. For instance, egregious zoning decisions and building laws here unnecessarily increase the cost of housing much higher than it would be otherwise. These are the sorts of things that one must consider for an ER location.

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

New Jersey health insurance premiums cannot be considered high if someone is greater than a standard risk.
Its the healthy individuals that pay more than most other states.

The HMO's offered even though they are expensive are generally less than a Hippa plan in a non guarantee issue state.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
The HMO's offered even though they are expensive are generally less than a Hippa plan in a non guarantee issue state.
You must be joking... AM I missing some data

Yes in NJ all pay a high risk premium even the standard or low risk individuals.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Moving comes to mind. Let me know what you decide....
We've thought of moving because of the high property taxes, health insurance, state & sales tax. But our friends are here, and that's making the decision very difficult. For now, we plan to stay put.

We don't have children, but are still looking at close to around $10K a year.

Anyone know if NJ insurance premiums can come from HSA accounts? If so, I need to research HSA.
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinwood
Anyone know if NJ insurance premiums can come from HSA accounts? If so, I need to research HSA.
If your question is can HSA savings account monies be used to pay health insurance premiums, the answer is no...until after age 65.

This is a great overview of HSA's, including the new rules that went into effect Jan 1:

http://www.treas.gov/offices/public-...SAs_040507.pdf

Old 04-25-2007, 07:13 PM   #14

I think two carriers provide HSAs in NJ. One of them being CIGNA. I don't recall the 2nd one.
It is possible though that those HSAs are only provided to businesses with more than 50 employees.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:17 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
You must be joking... AM I missing some data

Yes in NJ all pay a high risk premium even the standard or low risk individuals.
The Oxford premiums per the NJ Dept. of Insurance can be had from $563. upward for 1 person.

Look at the high risk pool rates amongst other states. They range more than that.
Hippa rates are also about the same as high risk pools.
Usually $800 upward for 1 person.

If you don't meet the criteria for standard risk it's easily $800 or more in most states.
And when your over 60 more than that.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:34 AM   #16

Quote:
The Oxford premiums per the NJ Dept. of Insurance can be had from $563. upward for 1 person.

Look at the high risk pool rates amongst other states. They range more than that.
Hippa rates are also about the same as high risk pools.
Usually $800 upward for 1 person.

If you don't meet the criteria for standard risk it's easily $800 or more in most states.
And when your over 60 more than that.

I think there is something wrong with the kind of system NJ has....NJ makes insurance unaffordable for the healthiest individuals (approx 85%) of the population, many of which fall into the 19-35 yr old category who for the most part don't have the income yet to support such high premiums....all so we can guarantee insurance to the other 15% of the population, most of who are older and have had a chance to save all of their lives and could potentially afford the extra couple of hundred dollars for their additional risk?

To me, there's something wrong with the mentality of screwing things up for the majority of people so a smaller number of people can have an advantage. What is the thought process here?...Do they think healthy people don't need health insurance anyway because they are healthy? People want to be able to protect their assets. That's what health insurance all about. IMO, I think it is more unfair to make it practically impossible for the majority of people to afford insurance.

Many of you talk about being tied to work because of illness, and how terrible that is....OK, that's maybe what, less than 15% of the population of people? NJ makes it nearly impossible for 50% or more of the population to get health insurance outside of work by imposing guaranteed issue and community rating laws on health insurance carriers, resulting in premium rates that are prohibitive for practically everyone!

Tell me, how is that better?

Old 04-26-2007, 09:06 AM   #17

The NJ system started from a good idea gone bad. They intended to build something affordable and fair for everyone and screwed up since they didn't think of all the consequences. They also might have been heavily lobbied by someindustry ; this I don't know.

I wish they would have taken notice of the problem and make changes.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:24 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wish they would have taken notice of the problem and make changes.
I wish that too. They figured out how to fix the auto insurance market in the state, so maybe they could fix the health insurance market. But there are a lot fewer consumers buying their own health insuramce than auto, so I am not holding my breath.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:33 AM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidslovedogs
I think there is something wrong with the kind of system NJ has....NJ makes insurance unaffordable for the healthiest individuals (approx 85%) of the population, many of which fall into the 19-35 yr old category who for the most part don't have the income yet to support such high premiums....all so we can guarantee insurance to the other 15% of the population, most of who are older and have had a chance to save all of their lives and could potentially afford the extra couple of hundred dollars for their additional risk?

To me, there's something wrong with the mentality of screwing things up for the majority of people so a smaller number of people can have an advantage. What is the thought process here?...Do they think healthy people don't need health insurance anyway because they are healthy? People want to be able to protect their assets. That's what health insurance all about. IMO, I think it is more unfair to make it practically impossible for the majority of people to afford insurance.

Many of you talk about being tied to work because of illness, and how terrible that is....OK, that's maybe what, less than 15% of the population of people? NJ makes it nearly impossible for 50% or more of the population to get health insurance outside of work by imposing guaranteed issue and community rating laws on health insurance carriers, resulting in premium rates that are prohibitive for practically everyone!

Tell me, how is that better?

It is a hard situation in NJ for many who have to pay the high premiums. I do think most individuals are on some type of group plans. Reasons being NJ is a money state alot have good jobs. They work in Manhattan for good firms, there are unions for blue collar workers with good benefits, state and county jobs offer pensions and benefits.

What does surprise me is there is not a NJ plan for low income workers, In NY they is Healthy New York for those who earn less than $2100 a month or so. They can buy insurance for $200 a month. Jersey has some plans for kids but not adults as far as I know.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #20

Quote:
What does surprise me is there is not a NJ plan for low income workers, In NY they is Healthy New York for those who earn less than $2100 a month or so. They can buy insurance for $200 a month. Jersey has some plans for kids but not adults as far as I know.
Tommy
Look at this site. The low income health insurance is now available to children for income levels up to 350% of poverty level. Parents can be included if income doesn;t exceed 115% of poverty level (really low!!!)
tohttp://www.njfamilycare.org/
Unfortunately this solution is for income level too low for us.

Tags
health insurance