Glass of Wine a Day Fights Dementia
Old 05-22-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glass of Wine a Day Fights Dementia

I feel smarter already...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...nhealth322.xml

Glass of wine a day 'fights off dementia'

Last Updated: 1:21am BST 22/05/2007

One alcoholic drink a day can delay the onset of dementia in older people with mild memory loss, a study has shown.
Researchers evaluated alcohol consumption and the incidence of minor cognitive impairment in 1,445 people aged 65 to 84.
The 121 who had signs of early mental problems were then monitored for three-and-a-half years. Those who had up to one glass of alcoholic drink a day, mostly wine, developed dementia at a rate 85 per cent slower than volunteers who abstained.
advertisement

The findings by Dr Vincenzo Solfrizzi and Dr Francesco Panza, of the University of Bari in Italy, are published today in the journal Neurology.
The authors report: "While many studies have assessed alcohol consumption and cognitive function in the elderly, this is the first study to look at how alcohol consumption affects the rate of progression of mild cognitive impairment to dementia.
"The mechanism responsible for why low alcohol consumption appears to protect against the progression to dementia isn't known. However, it is possible that the arrangement of blood vessels in the brain may play a role in why alcohol consumption appears to protect against dementia.
"This would support other observations that drinking moderate amounts of alcohol may protect the brain from stroke and vascular dementia."
Consuming more than one drink a day was not associated with any greater delay in the progression to dementia.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

...or at the very least (with enough of it)...it can make you forget that you have it

"Consuming more than one drink a day was not associated with any greater delay in the progression to dementia.".....DARN.....
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #3

one glass of wine
one cup of coffee
one cup of tea (green or black)
many cups of water...

what other liquids should we have per day!
Old 05-23-2007, 05:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
...or at the very least (with enough of it)...it can make you forget that you have it

"Consuming more than one drink a day was not associated with any greater delay in the progression to dementia.".....DARN.....
hate to tell ya but it gets even worse. from what i've read & heard of this study, alcohol does not slow the onset of dementia, rather it helps slow the progression of the disease after onset. so even just a drink a day now won't stop someone from getting dementia and the prescribed dose is only administered after onset (after dementia has begun).

so ya get to be drunk and confused, only more slowly. getting old sucks.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
...getting old sucks.
Until you consider the alternative.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

No one in my family has ever had dementia now I know why !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Until you consider the alternative.
I'll take the alternative to dementia since I've been seeing it first hand.

At one drink per day, I'm safe until 2114 -- August 11, but that's only an estimate.
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm working hard to build up a resistance in advance.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 11:52 AM   #9

Vindication at last ...
megacorp-firee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbrumy View Post
I'll take the alternative to dementia since I've been seeing it first hand.

At one drink per day, I'm safe until 2114 -- August 11, but that's only an estimate.
i'm with you on this. after watching mom deteriorate over a 13 year period including being legal guardian for the last 5 years of that and after having watched it in grandpa when i was in my 20s and now that i think i sometimes see it in my brother, i have no intention of ever letting such an event drag out in my own life.

slowing down the progression of dementia would be about the last thing i would want to do to myself. now if the researchers would only figure out how many glasses of wine i need to drink each day to get a cascade effect underway.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote