Join Early Retirement Today

Glucose Meters Cost!!!
Old 04-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Glucose Meters Cost!!!

Hola everyone,
I am considering installing a none profit operation or small clinic were the locals can just walk in and get their blood sugar level tested for free or a small donation. During my last visit to my home town just talking to old friends, I was sorprice by the number of people taking medication for diabetics with out knowing their blood sugar level and in some cases not been tested for liver damage that can be caused by some of these medications. I was looking at the portable meters (low cost) but they get you when you purchase the test strips. I can almost predict using between 50 to 100 test strips on a daily basis and the cost for me is too much.
I am looking for alternatives or possibly a bench top instrument that does not required those expensive test strips. I can also used other ideas that you might have!!!!!

Thanks,
Speedy

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Have you heard of CLIA and a million other governmental requirements for running a lab? Are you a physician or do you work closely with one for supervision? Have you thought about what if you get an erroneous result and a patient relies on it for management?

Just curious.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I am going to be doing this back home in small town up on the mountains. The only medical training I have is from the Army as a field medic and my current profession has a research chemist. I think the alternative for those poeple is worst than been tested. The idea is that you come in get your sugar level and we help you keeep track of your readings so that when you visit the doctor you have some data points on a graph or something similar.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF63 View Post
I am going to be doing this back home in small town up on the mountains. The only medical training I have is from the Army as a field medic and my current profession has a research chemist. I think the alternative for those poeple is worst than been tested. The idea is that you come in get your sugar level and we help you keeep track of your readings so that when you visit the doctor you have some data points on a graph or something similar.
I am not questioning your good intentions. Just pointing out that you may be doing something illegal if you don't do it right. Watch your step and do your homework. The bureaucrasy is very fussy about medical facilities, even charitable ones.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Rich,
I do agree that I need to find what those the local goverment and probably miss perceptions by the medical community. Anyway, at this moment I am on the planning stages only!!!!