Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just to quantify things, 10 years of the above dose would cost $1,824.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Damn thats like .49 cents a day. You could feed 4 kids in an African nation for that much.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Damn thats like .49 cents a day. You could feed 4 kids in an African nation for that much.
And that will make your knees stop hurting?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
And that will make your knees stop hurting?
No I was just helping out with a comparison. Im still taking mine..
Old 12-18-2008, 12:28 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

When I had incapacitating knee pain a few years ago, I asked my doctor about glucosamine chondroitin. She said there was no harm in trying it. On the third day, I broke out in hives probably due to a shellfish allergy, and stopped using it. My knee pain got better in a few months without it. A couple of years went by and I developing incapacitating hip pain. But the problem wasn't the knees or the hip but x-rays showed arthritis of the spine. If you believe internet web sites, knee pain can sometimes be a side effect of back problems.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
To quantify things accurately, in the vicinity of $913.60 @ Sam's Club (50% less than those high-priced drug stores).
LBYM...

Not having knees that throb 24/7? PRICELESS
Old 12-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Damn maybe I have some dog in me.

Oooohhhh, my first response would *so* get me in trouble with the mods...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Oooohhhh, my first response would *so* get me in trouble with the mods...

Do it. 100 years from now what will it matter.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:02 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
...Bit the bullet in '06 and had TKR (total knee replacement) on the left one, although the surgeon said he could have replaced either knee at that point.

TKR's a whole 'nother thread for 'nother day. Better living through titanium & plastic...
I'd like to read about your experience with a TKR.

Cb
Cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb View Post
I'd like to read about your experience with a TKR.
Cb
Oh no we wouldn't.

Monday I'm visiting the primary care physician for the consults to get my first orthopedic arthroscopic ACL replacement & meniscal trims in about six months... in other words, if you're at the destination of my journey then I'm hoping that you're happy!

I was sitting next to a 78-year-old man last month. We got to comparing war wounds and he said "Or you could just do what I did, and get total knee replacments. I'm a lot better now!" I asked "A lot better compared to what?" He replied "Compared to being all f$%^ed up!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:32 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Oh no we wouldn't.

Monday I'm visiting the primary care physician for the consults to get my first orthopedic arthroscopic ACL replacement & meniscal trims in about six months... in other words, if you're at the destination of my journey then I'm hoping that you're happy!

I was sitting next to a 78-year-old man last month. We got to comparing war wounds and he said "Or you could just do what I did, and get total knee replacements. I'm a lot better now!" I asked "A lot better compared to what?" He replied "Compared to being all f$%^ed up!"
Hmmm...not at our ages, given the current ~15-20 year expected life of a TKR, and the fact that you can only count on a single replacement then (assuming no technological improvements occur between R&R's). I want to stay on my feet until the end.

For those who didn't see my posts from back then I'm about 20 months post surgery now after getting a new/used ACL from a cadaver along with an abrasion process to stimulate the formation of "pseudo-cartilage" to provide a slick if paper-thin bearing surface rather than the bone-on-bone grinding I had previously.

It worked well enough...I can walk with no pain again (that's a huge deal if you've ever been unable too), but have been told that any running or jumping would seriously reduce the service life of the pseuo-cartilage.

After ~7 holes of golf (with a cart) it begins to ache and is somewhat swollen for a few days. So on holes 8 and 9 I'm more inclined to drop a new ball rather than trot down any hillsides after an errant tee shot. A bit of icing and 4-5 Ibuprofens a few times a day and I'm back to normal.

That knee is prone to little stabbing pains too...I remember wrestling a sheet of plywood off my utility trailer on a windy day when I tweaked the knee. I quickly concluded that the plywood looked just fine laying in the middle of the driveway and retired to the couch with one of my ever-ready ice-packs and an Ibuprofen chaser.

It gets mighty stiff during long distance driving too. I've got a little drill I do by the gas pumps to get it moving again before I try walking to fetch coffee.

I'd like to get to at least 55 before a TKR. From I read orthopedic docs will do the abrasion or micro-fracture processes 3-4 times before going with a TKR, but the rehab/recovery is such a drag I'd be inclined to try only one more round of these temporary fixes.

Nords, I think you're in much better shape needing an ACL and a bit of meniscus trimming...just don't go wearing through your remaining cartilage in the meantime! I don't imagine you find yourself driving >10 hours on that little island of yours either.

Cb
Cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Having been active every day at work and on weekends with no history of joint problems, after retirement I sat around for a year. The next year, following any physical activity, my joints were sore and made cracking and popping noises. On an annual checkup, my Dr. suggested GC. Not expecting much, I tried it and lost the soreness and the noise. I've discontinued the use and I'm still symptom free. GC worked well for me, but I'm now more conscious of trying to eat cartilage-friendly foods, i.e. ox-tail soup, pho, or fresh pineapple. I've started backpacking again and my knees have no soreness. That is a noticeable difference compared to my previous symptoms from much lighter exercise.
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote