Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
For a normal healthy adult, is there any reputable research that says gluten is bad for you?

My guess is that a normal diet that contains gluten is just fine for normal healthy people. "Healthy" includes not being overweight.
Studies are out there that suggest that reactions to gluten vary so much, that it is hard to determine at what level is actually symptomatic. This meta-study BMC Medicine | Full text | Spectrum of gluten-related disorders: consensus on new nomenclature and classification shows just a handful of diseases and problems associated. Read the first few paragraphs of that meta-study. The problem is that gluten affects the immune system, and often has a delayed reaction. So, while you might not get anaphylaxis from eating a piece of bread (wheat allergy and/or celiacs) that bread might be causing long-term autoimmune response which can lead to numerous things. Again though, this lends itself to anecdotal stories of how not eating bread cured grandma's nasal drip, or cured your uncle's knee arthritis (which sound crazy, but are actually potential autoimmune responses that can be fixed).

Just reading about the proteins (gliadins and glutenins) found in gluten and how they react with humans is interesting enough.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_knows View Post
Things like pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are not grains.
OK, I gotcha now. You eat the seeds that are not grains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just as a side note, nearly every gluten free beer I've tried (and I've judged them at beer competitions) has been terrible. Most are made from sorghum instead of barley, and tend to taste like Cracker Jack. Yecch!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_knows View Post
All gluten-free beer IS terrible. I tend to just drink hard cider and wine.
I have tasted one of the micro-brewed ones that was quite bad (IMO). But the 'Redbridge' ( ANHEUSER-BUSCH) I thought was OK - opposite of what I would have expected. I won't buy another, but if I did have Celiac disease, it would at least be something.

-ERD50

Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not a beer drinker, so I don't have any experience, but a couple friends of ours who are beer drinkers have tried at least 2 GF beers that they liked so far. I don't know what brands, or what type of beer they normally drink, though. I assume it would all just depend on your preferences.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by okapi View Post
These "diets" do seem doable.I can eat fish everyday,I really like it.Regular food markets do seem to have what I would need instead of these expensive specialty shops.Wine over beer,I have to work on that.
Best Wishes Okapi
Yeah, the wine over beer was a hard adjustment for me too. And I soooo miss a pizza, having yet to find a good GF one. Most taste like cardboard.

But if that's my worst health problem at age 62 I will consider myself fortunate.

Other than the beer & pizza issue the rest really wasn't much of an adjustment for me other than I eat a lot more salads than I used to. And that's not a bad thing, I've grown to like them a lot.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

See, for instance:

Amazon.com: Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health (3520700000720): William Davis: Books

Wheat Belly Cookbook: 150 Recipes to Help You Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health: William Davis: 9781609619367: Amazon.com: Books
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Oh! I might also suggest these:

500 Paleo Recipes: Hundreds of Delicious Recipes for Weight Loss and Super Health: Dana Carpender: 9781592335329: Amazon.com: Books

Paleo Desserts: 125 Delicious Everyday Favorites, Gluten- and Grain-Free: Jane Barthelemy: 9780738216430: Amazon.com: Books

The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking: 80 Low-Carb Recipes that Offer Solutions for Celiac Disease, Diabetes, and Weight Loss: Peter Reinhart, Denene Wallace: 9781607741169: Amazon.com: Books

And because exercise is so anti-weight loss but, nevertheless, absolutely necessary, this may be of interest:

Amazon.com: The Slow Burn Fitness Revolution: The Slow Motion Exercise That Will Change Your Body in 30 Minutes a Week (9780767913867): Fredrick Hahn, Mary Dan Eades, Michael R. Eades: Books

I have each of these books (including those mentioned in previous Posts) in my Library and can personally vouch for each one.

(All of these suggestions -- including previous posts -- are available in many formats; Hard cover, Soft Cover, Kindle, etc.)
Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Yeah, the wine over beer was a hard adjustment for me too. And I soooo miss a pizza, having yet to find a good GF one. Most taste like cardboard.
Are you willing to make your own? I've been using various versions of this recipe:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.co...ecipe.html?m=1

Even DH and my parents, who aren't GF, really like it.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM View Post
Are you willing to make your own? I've been using various versions of this recipe:

Gluten-Free Pizza Crust - My New Recipe

Even DH and my parents, who aren't GF, really like it.
I'd have to think about that - not sure it would be worth the payoff. But I bookmarked the site for that and other info. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I have to fall in with the crowd that says if you have a diagnosed problem with gluten avoid it. I believe that most of our food related problems center around the modern food industry and its desire to process and change food in crazy ways to aid their marketing efforts. I have joined the "Eat Real Food" movement, such as it is. By real food, I mean food the way God made it. The closer to that the better. The only single ingredient i have tried to greatly reduce in my diet is added sugar. The evidence against it is damning.

I have looked at some of these diets such as low-fat, low-car, Paleo, etc. The problem I have with most of them is they often end up being a way to sell us more manufactured digestible products usually at high prices. Or they eliminate products that have not been a problem for me (grains, for example). The list of no-carb products is enormous! And we all no what the low-fat diet has morphed into in the USA and Canada.

I deplore the fanatics who have made food choice a 'religious' experience that all must be converted to. And non believers are of the devil! I like real food the way God made it, but I still cook my meat and veggies as needed. I also enjoy a glass of wine from time to time, and even a big slice of my buddy's homemade apple pie (loaded with sugar). Fortunately, my buddy only makes these pies 4 or 5 times a hear.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
-ERD50
I believe that wheat and most other grains are seeds. Maybe higher in carbs than sunflower quiona, or pumpkin seeds, but still seeds. Was that your point?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
I have looked at some of these diets such as low-fat, low-car, Paleo, etc. The problem I have with most of them is they often end up being a way to sell us more manufactured digestible products usually at high prices.
This is a legitimate charge and one that, hopefully, will be corrected over time.

10 Critical Issues The Paleo Community Must Address

Quote:
8. Commercial success

As with any movement that begins to build an audience and branch out into the mainstream, the opportunities for commercial success are sure to follow. I’m always amazed whenever I hear people actually criticize the capitalistic ventures of highly-respected people in this community like Mark Sisson and his accompanying Primal Blueprint product line or the brand new PaleoLogix supplements brand created by Robb Wolf and Chris Kresser. How much FREE information have those three men alone given out to the Paleo community over the years to help start this Paleo revolution we are now seeing? Don’t they deserve to be remunerated for literally investing tens of thousands of hours into the lives of others at no charge? I certainly think so. And I’ve even heard this same complaint about the work that I do because I have sponsors on my sites and I solicit donations from those who find benefit in my work. Never mind the fact that all of my three podcasts that air five days a week, my blog, my forum, my YouTube videos and so much more are all 100% FREE to anyone who chooses to partake of them. I’m a strong believer in working hard, providing quality content and being appropriately rewarded for your efforts. One of the ways Paleo will become a part of the overall nutrition and health conversation is to have businesses and business ventures succeed in the marketplace of ideas and dollars. That’s why it’s encouraging to see so many Paleo books making it on the bestsellers lists and companies like Pre-made Paleo, Primal Paleo Concepts and Louise’s Foods providing consumers with quality real food-based items to enhance their Paleo lifestyle. We shouldn’t fear commercial success, but should embrace it as a means for expanding the Paleo message even further into the mainstream.
(The other nine issues are worth a look at and may address other concerns you may have.)
Old 01-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Quote:
-ERD50
I believe that wheat and most other grains are seeds. Maybe higher in carbs than sunflower quiona, or pumpkin seeds, but still seeds. Was that your point?
I had responded when bo_knows said something about not eating grains, then later said he ate seeds. It threw me, but then I realized it was a rabbit/hare thing.

All grains are seeds, but not all seeds are grains. So he can eat (some) seeds w/o eating grain.

Other than trying to understand that point, I have no point. Carbs, seeds, grain or otherwise. I'm just listening.

-ERD50
Old 01-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
"Gluten free" is a waste of money and effort unless you actually have celiac disease.
Many people who don't have celiac disease have gluten sensitivity that causes health issues like, for example, acid reflux.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPrint53 View Post
Many people who don't have celiac disease have gluten sensitivity that causes health issues like, for example, acid reflux.
Actually, it is quite a long list.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Why the Metabolically Broken Can’t Eat Carbs

Quote:
Those of us who were metabolically broken and obese have compromised gut and digestion. I’m going out on a limb by making that blanket statement, but I’ve yet to meet a single person who defies that definition. I’m sure there are exceptions, and there’s plenty of “healthy” individuals with bad guts. If that’s you, then this also applies to you – so listen up!

What happens to someone who’s formerly been addicted to palatable foods is that the reintroduction of it, in most any capacity (even fruit) can trigger an emotional and chemical response in your brain that makes you want to add it back into your diet. Looking back, we were even serving starchy and dense veggies at almost every meal – it was carbohydrate city in our home for the month of December! Ultimately, these special occasions with special treats become less special and ultimately one find themselves without any pants that fit and a constant craving for more sweets and carbohydrates.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

" looked around a g.f. store the other day and noticed that the items are pretty expensive"

For one I would not look at buying replacement products like bread, crackers, brownies, cookies. Yes, those product can be expensive. You can go gluten free without these replacement products- just follow any Paleo recipe and you'll be gluten free.

EverydayPaleo.com
PaleoOMG.com
NomNomPaleo.com

Your friend probably had a diet filled with pasta, rice, potatoes and bread for him to lose so much weight and was probably highly sensitive to gluten.

But you don't have to go gluten free to lose weight. And you certainly don't need to start buying expensive gluten replacement products either!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Top 17 Low-Carb & Paleo Doctors With Blogs

If you want to schedule an appointment with a low-carb & paleo friendly doctor in an area near you, check out Primal Docs and the Paleo Physicians Network.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

For a simple description of the Paleo Diet see:

Paleo – What?

And to balance the "scale" she adds this at the end:

Quote:
I have been on the GAPS* diet for over a year now which is a very restrictive diet. But, the GAPS diet is meant to be for a period of time to allow for healing of the gut – not a long term diet. Honestly, I am looking forward to eating properly prepared grains again.

I am sure others have and do benefit from the Paleo diet. But, I wonder if a traditional diet filled with healthy fats, grass fed meats, dairy, fruits, vegetables and properly prepared grains would also yield significant health benefits for many individuals. I myself enjoy many of the recipes I have found specifically for the Paleo diet. But, as a lifestyle and long term way of eating, I prefer a less restrictive diet.
* (My note) Gut and Psychology Syndrome -- The GAPS Diet is based on the work of Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride. She discovered the SCD Diet (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) and took it a step further by describing the gut-brain connection in the book Gut and Psychology Syndrome. Her patients coined the term GAP Syndrome or simply GAPS.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
For a simple description of the Paleo Diet see:

Paleo – What?

And to balance the "scale" she adds this at the end:

Quote:
Honestly, I am looking forward to eating properly prepared grains again.
In the article, she describes 'properly prepared grains' as grains that have been soaked/sprouted.

I currently have ~ 25# of 'properly prepared grains' in process (three 5 gallon batches of beer). Beer is made from malted grains (mainly), and malting is a process of soaking/sprouting, then drying the grain. With more soaking when you make the beer. Mmmmm, beer.

That waffle recipe sounds interesting: add the recipe liquid to the flour, plus 1 Tbsp kefir, yogurt or lemon juice per cup liquid, and let sit over night. Supposedly makes a lighter waffle. I'm guessing they rely on the naturally present lacto-bacillus on the grain/flour and/or airborne critters to give some microbial action, and the kefir, yogurt or lemon juice is just to provide some acidity to keep other microbes inactive.

-ERD50
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Mmmmm, beer.
My sentiments exactly.

(In fact, a couple of beers a month and rice once in awhile are my only "grain" concessions.)