Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2015, 06:18 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I also have celiac, and I think that if I were to grouse about all the marketing of low fat foods, or complain about food labels that state ingredients, it would make as much sense as people who do not benefit from gluten-free foods complaining about them being available, or complaining that some people who have not been diagnosed with celiac are buying these foods. Your taxes are not paying for them, so I don't see the problem. Except maybe they make a handy target for folks who are running short on other pet peeves

Ha

I have no shortage of pet peeves!

The problems I see with much of the advertising for organic, gluten-free, low-fat, etc. is that it's usually misleading as to the health "benefits". Food allergies are nothing to sneeze at, pun intended, but too many of the supposed health benefits not specific to food allergies are, in a word, bunk, and the advertisers know it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
@Walt34: some of the boutique pizza joints have perfected a non gluten crust that allows some safe indulgence, maybe give one a try.
This could be a problem unless the pizza is prepared and cooked in gluten free oven. It can't be considered gluten free unless the preparation facility is also certified as gluten free. When you are highly sensitive, such cross contamination can cause issues.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
This could be a problem unless the pizza is prepared and cooked in gluten free oven. It can't be considered gluten free unless the preparation facility is also certified as gluten free. When you are highly sensitive, such cross contamination can cause issues.
Good point. It's quite a variable disease, and what one person can tolerate, another can't. The pizza joint in my neighborhood will bake it "on the bricks" or off, you choose, but even that may be not enough isolation for some.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I have no shortage of pet peeves!

The problems I see with much of the advertising for organic, gluten-free, low-fat, etc. is that it's usually misleading as to the health "benefits". Food allergies are nothing to sneeze at, pun intended, but too many of the supposed health benefits not specific to food allergies are, in a word, bunk, and the advertisers know it...
Well, I understand what you are saying. But since when is advertising and commercial speech supposed to be scientific truth?

Are cosmetics marketed to keep skin young really doing that? Does anyone really expect them too?

Ha
Old 05-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #45
Administrator

From the NYT http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/0...n-gluten/?_r=0
Quote:
Last year, doctors at Columbia University found that people with celiac disease frequently use probiotic supplements, but that those who take these products tend to experience more symptoms of the disease than those who do not.

Now these experts say they may know why: More than half of the top-selling probiotic supplements they analyzed contained gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley and rye that is harmful to people with celiac disease. The authors of the study found gluten in probiotic supplements that carried “gluten-free” claims on their labels, and they discovered that the most expensive supplements were just as likely to contain gluten as the cheapest products.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:31 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Diet fads, books, etc. seem like somebody is trying to convince me that I don't really feel as good as I "should" feel, and it's because of something I'm eating (gluten, for instance), or not eating (like the coconut products I mentioned earlier).

So, what is the "ideal" way to feel, that we all should aspire to?

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

After reading WheatBelly early last year, I decided to avoid wheat for a protracted period. If I don't feel like cooking, there's a bunch of 'gluten free' items sitting in the freezer waiting to be zapped. Last month I tried Udi's Italian Sausage Lasagna -- pretty good IMO.
Jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

So, what is the "ideal" way to feel, that we all should aspire to?

Amethyst
This reminds of the the phrase, if you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it.

Any how, as I get older, I wish I knew how I should feel, but 15 years ago did feel better than the present.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:23 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't imagine feeling any better than I do on an ongoing basis and I eat pretty much whatever I want - just limited quantities so as not to gain weight.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 05-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

My daughter has a serious wheat allergy. It's a blessing in disguise for us that gluten free has become a fad. That said, we focus on whole foods, fruits and veggies, lean meats, and grains like rice and oats. GF is no big deal and it's kept our eating healthier than many families because mass produced pizza and chicken nuggets are not options.
sirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #51
gone traveling

My DD had a skin rash from age 1 to 13. We tried every topical ointment available. By chance a Dr suggested eliminating gluten and I am not kidding you OVERNiGHT the child's rash was clear. I feel so guilty that I never could ease her suffering during her childhood . I think back to every bath where she would cry because the water was stinging, and every night when she could not sleep because of the itchy skin!

Subsequent allergy testing revealed a host of food allergies.
Gluten free is a marketing ploy now but it is a real issue for people with allergies and those with celiac.
zerogravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerogravity View Post
My DD had a skin rash from age 1 to 13. We tried every topical ointment available. By chance a Dr suggested eliminating gluten and I am not kidding you OVERNiGHT the child's rash was clear. I feel so guilty that I never could ease her suffering during her childhood . I think back to every bath where she would cry because the water was stinging, and every night when she could not sleep because of the itchy skin!

Subsequent allergy testing revealed a host of food allergies.
Gluten free is a marketing ploy now but it is a real issue for people with allergies and those with celiac.
This sounds like a condition that I developed, not long before my celiac diagnosis. It was called dermatitis herpetiformis. I was no stranger to itching, as I had severe poison ivy usually once every summer as a child. But this wheat related rash was many times worse, it was truly awful. I was so happy when it went away, I didn't really care what I had to give up,. as long as that itching rash would be gone.

I must have been truly awful for your child to have this.

Ha
Old 05-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I recall, when I lived in British Columbia, that the local baker contracted a wheat allergy.....had a huge blotch on his face when I spoke to him.....his wife took over the bakery...and he couldn't even step inside it to give advice.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:49 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I recall, when I lived in British Columbia, that the local baker contracted a wheat allergy.....had a huge blotch on his face when I spoke to him.....his wife took over the bakery...and he couldn't even step inside it to give advice.
Wow, that would be a career ending problem! I hope he had own occupation disability insurance!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:49 AM   #55

I have great sympathy for folks with celiac disease, because I have friends where the whole family suffers from it.

However, there is a recent book on the larger topic addressed in this thread that I think some here might enjoy:
The Gluten Lie: And Other Myths About What You Eat - Kindle edition by Alan Levinovitz. Health, Fitness & Dieting Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

The following quote is from a nice review of this book:
Quote:
He might seem like a strange candidate to author a book on diet. He’s not a nutrition expert, a doctor, or even a scientist; he is a scholar of religion. But that gives him a unique perspective. His expertise is in studying religious stories that function as metaphors. He says the key to understanding fad diets is not science, but history. “Once you see enough of the same archetypal myths and the same superstitions, new dietary claims start to look a lot like flood myths.”

They do indeed. The same memes keep repeating. Good vs. evil. Natural vs. manmade. Magical thinking: you are what you eat. The scary technology of the modern world vs. the idealistic Eden our ancestors supposedly enjoyed (they didn’t!). Evolutionary “Just So Stories” that convert what we think our ancestors ate into what we should eat or argue that since evolution didn’t equip us with sharp fangs, we shouldn’t eat meat. People presume to know Nature’s intentions. Clean, pure, virtuous foods vs. “unclean” forbidden foods, toxins, and sinful indulgence. We are being manipulated for profit by evil big corporations to the detriment of our health. Subconscious Puritan values kick in: if it’s pleasurable, it must be bad. Religious-like mantras divide the world into simplistic binary categories. Following the strict guidelines of the in-group proves you are a good person. Moral and religious vocabulary is inappropriately applied to scientific questions.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:16 AM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I have great sympathy for folks with celiac disease, because I have friends where the whole family suffers from it.

However, there is a recent book on the larger topic addressed in this thread that I think some here might enjoy:
The Gluten Lie: And Other Myths About What You Eat - Kindle edition by Alan Levinovitz. Health, Fitness & Dieting Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

The following quote is from a nice review of this book:
That's an excellent quote. "Magical thinking" sums up many of the health claims surrounding food and nutritional supplements. So does "truthiness".

Edit to add: looking over the reviews at Amazon, it is funny how the negative views all focus on one aspect, which is the lack of scientific or medical support for his point of view. This is the one constant almost always present in the literature promoting organics, additives or nutritional supplements.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:46 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

"Magical thinking" is prevalent in way too many human endeavors...

I wonder if "gluten-free" is an exact, controlled term. Obviously, many items labeled as such have no naturally-occurring gluten, but may be cross-contaminated during processing. I would think that using this term loosely would be a recipe for a lawsuit.

Many fast food places have a sticker by the drive-thru, basically saying that if you have a food allergy - milk/lactose, peanuts/nuts, wheat/gluten, etc. - best to eat somewhere else...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My problem is much simpler. I just need to go Glutton Free and get rid of the 40# I piled on at at my last job . I'm down 10# from 50# to 40# just from stress relief.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

The part about "religious" thinking strikes a chord - my friend, who goes on about coconut curing everything, is also a bit of a fundie.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That's an excellent quote. "Magical thinking" sums up many of the health claims surrounding food and nutritional supplements. So does "truthiness".

Edit to add: looking over the reviews at Amazon, it is funny how the negative views all focus on one aspect, which is the lack of scientific or medical support for his point of view. This is the one constant almost always present in the literature promoting organics, additives or nutritional supplements.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I wonder if "gluten-free" is an exact, controlled term. Obviously, many items labeled as such have no naturally-occurring gluten, but may be cross-contaminated during processing.
I read the labels closely for that reason. If it says "gluten free" it generally really is. If there is a possibility of cross contamination I haven't seen a label where they don't say so, as in "produced in a facility that also produces wheat products" or similar language. In my case that's good enough since trace amounts don't bother me. But trace amounts do matter very much to others.

On the rare occasions when I get a pizza I get it from a local shop that of course makes the regular kind too and have suffered no ill effects.

But on one occasion I found they lied. Suffice it to say that "gluten free" Girl Scout cookies are not. The result killed the rest of that day and most of the next.