Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I read the labels closely for that reason. If it says "gluten free" it generally really is. If there is a possibility of cross contamination I haven't seen a label where they don't say so, as in "produced in a facility that also produces wheat products" or similar language. In my case that's good enough since trace amounts don't bother me. But trace amounts do matter very much to others.

On the rare occasions when I get a pizza I get it from a local shop that of course makes the regular kind too and have suffered no ill effects.

But on one occasion I found they lied. Suffice it to say that "gluten free" Girl Scout cookies are not. The result killed the rest of that day and most of the next.
Something I noticed before I got really good at avoiding gluten was that a reliable early warning of GI problems to come was a slight depressed feeling.

Where I live the restaurants are not cheap, but if I avoid the low end, it is pretty easy to get safe no gluten meals. There is a lot to be said for college educated wait staff. Also, within a few blocks there are >50 restaurants. And they are always busy it seems, so lots of choice

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

This update on celiac disease might be of interest to the gluten sensitive individuals.
"Oslo professor Dr. Ludvig Sollid has solved the riddle of coeliac disease". -

Quote:
"The disease develops because the immune system reacts to gluten, which is an alien substance. At the same time, the immune system launches a reaction against the body itself by creating antibodies to transglutaminase

Quote:
"We discovered that there were two types of HLA (HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8) which predispose a person for coeliac disease", explains Professor Sollid.
Further research revealed that the two HLA types present gluten remnants to the T-cells. The T-cells therefore believe that gluten is dangerous, and they initiate immune reactions that cause an inflammation reaction in the intestines.
This is what causes coeliac disease.
Solved the riddle of coeliac disease - Institute of Clinical Medicine

Old 06-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

A 2nd opinion regarding gluten:

For many, gluten isn’t the villain it gets cracked up to be - The Washington Post
Old 06-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
This update on celiac disease might be of interest to the gluten sensitive individuals.

Does this mean they can detect the condition more easily?

Sounds promising in general if the can tackle arthritis and multiple sclerosis, and maybe even thyroid autoimmune diseases?
Old 06-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Sounds promising in general if the can tackle arthritis and multiple sclerosis, and maybe even thyroid autoimmune diseases?
Parting shot from the article. -

Quote:
"Our research has also given us the opportunity to design diagnostic tests that look very promising. The tests will be far more precise, because we will be using antibodies created from the patient's cells as part of the tests", explains Sollid.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thank you. Excellent article. Did you catch the 1/50 to 1/100 incidence of celiac disease in the Norwegian population?

Ha
Old 06-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Thank you. Excellent article. Did you catch the 1/50 to 1/100 incidence of celiac disease in the Norwegian population?

Ha
Yes, my Norwegian grandmother had a very mild condition that was not diagnosed until she was in her mid 70's. She was quite frail and ultimately succumbed to complications from a hip fracture @ age 99. Not too bad.
I have apparently dodged the bullet.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Ha
+1, thanks for posting bjorn2bwild
Old 07-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Doctors were taught (incorrectly) that if a person did not react to alpha gliadin, they were not gluten intolerant. There's now a panel (Cyrex) of 12 things that are implicated in gluten sensitivity.

The article seems to indicate insight into the mechanism, but I'd be surprised if that makes any difference in the immediate future.

Has anyone looked up those HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8 genes in your 23andMe?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Doctors were taught (incorrectly) that if a person did not react to alpha gliadin, they were not gluten intolerant. There's now a panel (Cyrex) of 12 things that are implicated in gluten sensitivity.

The article seems to indicate insight into the mechanism, but I'd be surprised if that makes any difference in the immediate future.

The problem with these independent lab tests is that we know nothing about them. They aren't validated. We don't really know if they work or how well they work or if they are testing for anything that is actually important. If you feel better when you don't eat wheat, then don't eat wheat. If you can't tell if you feel better, then don't worry about it. Changing your diet based on the results of an unvalidated test is kind of nutty.

The claim in "Wheat Belly" is that gluten has "changed" somehow as a result of selective breeding, causing increasing obesity over the last forty years. Well, guess what? It turns out that gluten derived from modern strains of wheat is chemically identical to gluten from historic strains. Wheat Belly's sensational claim is just an overly simplistic idea.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
The claim in "Wheat Belly" is that gluten has "changed" somehow as a result of selective breeding, causing increasing obesity over the last forty years. Well, guess what? It turns out that gluten derived from modern strains of wheat is chemically identical to gluten from historic strains. Wheat Belly's sensational claim is just an overly simplistic idea.
But it sure works for selling books.

Ha
Old 07-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

I doubt that 23 and Me will provide much in the way of useful genetic info. My DD had a very comprehensive genetic test from GeneDX (cost > $15K), and fortunately they accepted a much lower payment from the insurance company. We met with a geneticist after the results came back (took 6 months) and he indicated that this field is still in its infancy as many companies around the world are building databases to capture and compare genetic defects. Probably a lot more knowledge will be coming in the next 5 years.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #73

Quote:
But it sure works for selling books.

Ha
And cereal, cuz nothing sez healthy quite like gluten-free Lucky Charms.
New slogan - "they're magically nutritious"

Quote:
In the face of declining cereal sales, General Mills is tapping a growing diet trend with plans to offer gluten-free Lucky Charms later this summer, the company said on an earnings call Wednesday.
Quote:
Once gluten-free Cheerios and Lucky Charms hit the shelves, gluten-free products will make up over half of its cereal sales and 17% of total category sales, the company estimated.
General Mills plans gluten-free Lucky Charms to boost cereal sales
Old 07-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #74

Quote:
And cereal, cuz nothing sez healthy quite like gluten-free Lucky Charms.
New slogan - "they're magically nutritious"

General Mills plans gluten-free Lucky Charms to boost cereal sales
Wow all sugar no gluten, what a smart move.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #75

Now if someone would just come out with a nutritionally balanced, non-GMO, low carb (no sugar, only fiber) and delicious breakfast cereal packaged in a box. Is that too much to expect?
Old 07-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Now if someone would just come out with a nutritionally balanced, non-GMO, low carb (no sugar, only fiber) and delicious breakfast cereal packaged in a box. Is that too much to expect?
The box it comes in may taste better

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Gluten Free
Old 07-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #77

Gluten Free

I read wheat belly a few weeks ago...I gave it up.
1) I found rye and sun flower bread that is wheat free
2) no donuts, cake or any other sweet tasty stuff I generally didn't eat too much of that
3) gave up potatoes - this was the most difficult for me oh a Italian bread with olive oil with garlic
4) made a point of adding more veggies and fruit.
5) I'll eat a role with a burger, just because it is expedient

protein and veggies/fruit for each meal no starches....

Results:
- lost over 20lbs to date
- blood sugar dropped like a stone
- blood pressure did same
- appetite diminished and smaller portions fill me.
- generally feel better energy and clarity..

Can't say enough about the diet I'm on to something

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
2) no donuts, cake or any other sweet tasty stuff I generally didn't eat too much of that
3) gave up potatoes - this was the most difficult for me oh a Italian bread with olive oil with garlic

Results:

Thats a good job!!! I think many of us realize the benefits of good nutrition and what a good meal plan looks like, but don't have the will power to eat that way most of the time (present company included).
Old 07-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
veggies/fruit for each meal no starches....
Now, you should research that. There are few vegetable that are not (very) high in carbohydrates... and even fewer fruits.

Remember that anything that ends in "ose" is a carbohydrate -- Lactose, fructose, glucose, etc.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Results:

Another anecdotal reference point...

I've made no real change in what I eat, have not eliminated or greatly reduced any specific foods, but I have cut the portions down. I have some starches/carbs at almost every meal. Almost no sugary things, even watch the fruit which has a lot of sugar. I've lost over 15 # in 3 months.

My Results:

- lost over 15 lbs to date

- Haven't had a blood test yet, blood pressure seems the same, but only recently bought a monitor.

- appetite diminished and smaller portions fill me. (If I eat anywhere near what I used to, I am stuffed to the point of being uncomfortable - I seem to have 'reset' to this level. But I've done that before, and I slowly go back - I need to be ever vigilant about the portion sizes. It really isn't a 'sacrifice', but it does require focused attention, it's just habit for me to have 'a little more'.)

- generally feel better energy and clarity.. (yes, but not to any outstanding degree)

I'm going to wait for some clearer science before eliminating a food group. But I suppose it could be a big help for some, if they have specific sensitivities. I'm not convinced that applies to the general public.

-ERD50