Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-17-2014, 01:33 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Reading 'Wheat Belly' and 'Grain Brain' explained a lot of this to me.
A restricted carb diet (and thus a low-grain diet) has always made me feel better and given my the best weight management program.

Sarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Type 1 diabetes has always been identified as an autoimmune disease AFAIK.
Type 2 is not autoimmune.
Is there some newer info?
I think the science is ongoing and the evidence is not yet clear, but the research has been identifying an autoimmune component for a number of years. It's probably less accurate to break Diabetes down into different diseases (one autoimmune and another metabolic), and more accurate to identify a continuum where there are both autoimmune and metabolic elements present. A well known example would be LADA, which is referred to by some people as Type 1.5 Diabetes - it's more of an autoimmune disease, but it does have features of the T2DM metabolic disease.

A 2002 study in England found that 10-15% of T2DM patients exhibited evidence of Islet cell autoimmunity. There are more recent studies supporting the assumption that T2DM also encompasses autoimmune aspects based on the presence of circulating autoantibodies against β cells and self-reactive T cells. This from 2011 studies of humans in Canada:
“We were able to show that people with insulin resistance make antibodies to a select group of their own proteins. In contrast, equally overweight people who are not insulin-resistant do not express these antibodies. It’s highly suggestive that your body targets its own proteins as part of the development of insulin resistance...It really links the concept of insulin resistance to autoimmunity.

There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it. - Andrew Jackson
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
[QUOTE=AnIntentionalRoad;1415291]About a year ago my beard started developing a bald patch that grew to the size of a silver dollar or two. I went to the dermatologist who said it was an autoimmune issue and wanted to shoot my fact up with steroids but I said I would look at other options.QUOTE]
Intentional, It sounds like Alopecia Areata which is an autoimmune disease. My husband had similar symptoms. He lost part of his mustache and a half dollar size bald spot on the back of his head. After 6 months he finally went with the corticosteroids injection in his head. His hair grew back and was darker where the injections were. Eventually the hair color evened out. This only happened one time. There are pills you can take if your not into injections.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:25 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
I also am a celiac. Twenty years ago I had the blood test and the biopsy confirmed it. At first the gluten free food that was sold at the super markets was horrible and tasted like cardboard. Now it seems in the last few years the food has gotten better. Restaurants also have gluten free menus. They have also come out with gluten free beers that are not so bad. But here is the thing for you beer lovers, now they are saying certain beers out there are considered safe for a celiac if they are less than 20ppm. Well, here is three beers that are all under 10ppm........Corona, Bud Light, Coors Light. Stay thirsty my friends.

ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote