Join Early Retirement Today

Walking and Insulin Resistance
Old 09-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Walking and Insulin Resistance

I read Dr. Thompson's book and found it interesting. I really wish he had cited some sources for his info.

For example, he says that a 30 minute moderate pace daily walk is the ideal exercise and all you need to keep insulin resistance at bay.

This sure conflicts with various other "experts". It is hard enough to know what is what when studies are reported, since there is almost nothing that hasn't been "proven" by some study or other. But when you only have a guru's opinion then what?

Does anyone have references about this topic of exercise and insulin resistance?

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ha, a google of walking insulin resistance had as the #1 item American Family Physicians "walking just 30 minutes a day can help prevent insulin resistance" unfortunately they also talk BMI and diet (fiber) along with other entries. I do believe walking at a brisk pace is an excellent exercise and may help substantially with the delay or prevention of diabetes.

"Sugar" runs in my family and I have read a fair amount of material over the years from credible sources alleging that a regular walking program could prevent the onset of diabetes. I am walking and or running 3 hrs per week this year (I increase my time every year) and in real life when my weight goes up my glucose number goes up and when my weight goes down my glucose number goes down. So I don't believe walking alone will do it for me. My numbers are still fine and if I manage my weight I may never have a problem, but walking without managing diet doesn't look like it will suffice.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

A list of publications from the Cooper Institute:

Research : Publications : Publication Results

One in particular:

How much physical activity is good for health? [Annu Rev Public Health. 1992] - PubMed Result

Quote:
The epidemiological studies suggest a linear dose-response relationship, at least up to a point, between physical activity and health and functional effects. These data support public health recommendations directed toward the most sedentary and unfit stratum of the population and emphasize doing at least moderate physical activity. If this group of adults would accumulate 30 minutes of walking per day (or the equivalent energy expenditure in other activities), they would receive clinically significant health benefits. An important point is that it does not matter what type of physical activity is performed: Sports, planned exercise, household or yard work, or occupational tasks are all beneficial. The key factor is total energy expenditure; if that is constant, improvements in fitness and health will be comparable. There are probably 40 million adults in the US whose sedentary habits place them at considerably increased risk of morbidity and mortality from several diseases. These same individuals also are more likely to have functional limitations, especially as they move into the later years of life. The sizable independent relative risk for impaired health in sedentary persons, and the large number at risk, leads to a substantial public health burden. This problem deserves continued and increased attention by physicians and other health professionals, scientists, and the public health establishment.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Dreamer, is your DH diabetic ? His blood work numbers sure sounds like he may be but I am no Doctor. I am telling you this because before I found out I had a problem my cholesterol was a little high. My HDL was 37 and my blood pressure was high. I lost 40 pounds and the numbers returned to near normal.

I would at least check his blood sugar two hours after eating that high carb meal, you might be shocked. oldtrig
Old 09-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Before I post I must say that Dr. Rob is family related. I have met him and talked to him at several family occasions. Unlike many other doctors I know he practices what he preaches, and he does not appear overweight.

In a conversation with his wife, she said that he does not really make a lot off the books, but does it because he really believes in what he is setting forth.

I have had lots of questions as his advice goes against just about every diet I have tried except Atkins, and he does not even agree there as he allows far more carbs. I have been on his diet for about two months. I am down between 18 and 20 lbs. However, for me, it is about 'Can you keep the weight off?'. I won't know the answer to that question for several years, but, for now it is working. I have taken his book like I would take my Doctor's advice. When my doctor tells me to get more exercise, as some have done, I don't ask if they have any good sicience behind this request. It all goes to his credibility. Knowing the reason he wrote the books is not for financial gaines goes a long way with me. I also read his first book 'Low Carb the New Way' (I think that is what it was). Not a recipe in it! But lots of information how cholestoral works in the body.

I, like HA, want to know more about the diet. It seems way too simple to say 'cut out bread, potatoes, rice, and sugar drinks'. Yet, that is the jest of it, and, it appears you don't really have to give up these four items completely. Well, maybe the sugared soft drinks.

The biggest problem I have, is fighting the other things I took for gospel. i.e. 'a bagel for breakfast with cream cheese and glass of OJ, is a good 'diet breakfast'. To embrace Dr. Rob, you have to get rid of the bagel and OJ, enjoy our cream cheese!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I would recommend Taube's book Good Calories Bad Calories. He shows that there is copious research showing the modern diet recommendation is horrible. The problem is that the institutions have allowed very bad science to hold sway. There is no data supporting the cholesterol theory for heart disease. There never was. What they have done is have a strong personality hold sway - Ancel Keys (not unlike a preacher) despite test after test not providing support for the hypothesis.

What they have done is formulate a hypothesis that if A, then B. They do a test that shows if A, not B. Then the conclusion is, the hypothesis is correct, the test results are wrong. This lack of science and reason has been done for some 70 years of medical/nutrition "science"! Repeated tests engender the same results and the same idiotic conclusions. The reason is that a blowhard bullies all others, slanders them, and basically bullies his way to making the govt buy into their theory. Then we have pileing on with researchers and doctors afraid to go against the conventional wisdom because they will be drummed out of their livelihood and get no more research money.

When you go to the actual data all these studies presented, it is obvious that the current hypotheses are grossly wrong. It is junk science at its finest.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I just took this book out of the library and I'm going to try it. I like a plan that can basically be summed up as:

*cut way back on flour (bread and pasta), rice, and potatoes (e.g., eat no more than 1/4 of a regular serving of these items);
*walk 2 miles at your own pace 4 times a week;
*do 6 major muscle exercises 2 times a week (three upper body, three lower body).

Can't hurt to try it. I'll post in the Wednesday weigh-ins with results.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I just took this book out of the library and I'm going to try it. I like a plan that can basically be summed up as:

*cut way back on flour (bread and pasta), rice, and potatoes (e.g., eat no more than 1/4 of a regular serving of these items);
*walk 2 miles at your own pace 4 times a week;
*do 6 major muscle exercises 2 times a week (three upper body, three lower body).

Can't hurt to try it. I'll post in the Wednesday weigh-ins with results.
My doctor yesterday told me to cut out (or cut back on?) rice, potatoes, and bread (and sugary drinks but I never drink them).

I am already doing the major muscle exercises, I guess, since I do 17 weight machines at the gym when I work out and about half are lower body and half upper body I suppose.

So, I'll also do the walking and join you in this. Two miles four times a week, which is about every time I work out. I am terrible at cardio but walking at my own pace is something even I can do. That can't be that bad. My favorite walking speed is 3 mph, so it would take 40 minutes. If I remember to take my headphones I can watch CNBC while I walk on the treadmill, so that I won't absolutely die of boredom. I might have to break down and purchase my first iPod if the treadmills are too busy, so I can walk on the indoor track with less boredom.

Maybe I'll buy the book, but probably walking will do me more good than sitting around reading it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #29

W2W, just to add, the walking is not a 'cardio' rate. I also don't think it is a stroll. In his book, Dr. Thompson, explained this by slow vs fast twitch mussel. He states a slow twitch is like your diaphragm, the mussel is oxygenated as it works and does not get tired. So the pace you should walk is one you could walk all day. Interestingly he does not say you have to give up completely bread, potatoes, rice and sugar drinks. He says eat these last, and if you have to have some only eat 1/4 of the starch. I think he does recommend giving up sugared drinks, also fruit drinks. Here, the '..if the glass is sticky when it is empty, don't drink it'.

good luck.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #30
Administrator

Thanks, Rustic! Due to my constant battle with weight, I haven't had sugary drinks in at least ten years and so that part won't be a problem. I don't even like them any more. In fact, I don't even drink diet soda any more much less sugary soda.

Maybe 2.5 mph would be more like it for me. 3 mph feels brisk to me (ok, don't snicker all you athletes! ). I'll have to experiment and see what I think I could keep up all day long, but 3 mph probably isn't it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
My doctor yesterday told me to cut out (or cut back on?) rice, potatoes, and bread (and sugary drinks but I never drink them).
Maybe I'll buy the book, but probably walking will do me more good than sitting around reading it.
Unfortunately Taube is leading me to conclude that beer is a sugary drink too.

I guess it's gonna have to be cabernet sauvignon from here on out...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Unfortunately Taube is leading me to conclude that beer is a sugary drink too.

I guess it's gonna have to be cabernet sauvignon from here on out...
See? I'm lucky that I don't drink alcoholic beverages. Coffee or tea without sugar, skim milk, and water are about all that I normally drink.

Watch out for that grape sugar.

I've got the sugary drink part completely A-OK before I even start. I need to work on the walking.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #33

Actually Nords, Beer, Wine and other spirits are just fine. However he does say, there may be other reason not to consume to many.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Actually Nords, Beer, Wine and other spirits are just fine. However he does say, there may be other reason not to consume to many.
I really cannot understand this with respect to beer, especially the heavy ales so popular now. It has been known for a very long time that an easy way to get fat is to drink a lot of beer. I can't think of many heavy beer drinkers out of their 20s who are not at least somewhat fat.

Ha
Old 09-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #35

Well, one of the cautions with alcohol in general increase ones appetite.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I personally prefer a lager with my mussels. Unless, of course, they are cooked in a white wine sauce. That requires Sauvignon Blanc.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

From Thompson's table, beer's glycemic load is "<15" (slice of bread=100), which means it's fine to drink it (an orange soda is 314, orange juice is 119).

I'm reading Good Calorie, Bad Calorie now. I expect that this comprehensive book will result in a general and gradual sea change in attitude among scientists.

If these books are right, it's mind blowing to think of millions of people having weight problems and then trying to cut down on fats (and eating more carbs in the process), and making their problem worse. That is, it's a vicious positive feedback situation.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Well, one of the cautions with alcohol in general increase ones appetite.
As witnessed by all those people eating a huge breakfast at Denny's at 2 AM on a Saturday morning...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Thompson also suggests you not drink very much with meals, including water. So save those beverages to savor on their own.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Thompson also suggests you not drink very much with meals, including water. So save those beverages to savor on their own.
Interesting. What's the theory -- that liquids increase the absorption rate of carbs (sugars) into the bloodstream?

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote