Join Early Retirement Today

Golf and Bi-Focal Glasses
Old 06-23-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Golf and Bi-Focal Glasses

I think this is a health issue of sorts.

I have been playing golf for about 5 years. I started at age 52. I am pretty fit but not a very good golfer. I usually score between 115 and 120 and disintegrate off the tee and for the long fairway shots, often shanking 5-9 shots per nine holes.

Today I was lamenting my golf game when one of my buddies asked if my glasses are no line bi-focals. I said yes. He said "everyone knows you cannot play golf in bi-focals". I had never heard this.

For those forum members who play: What do you think? Is this true? If it is true, should I get glasses with the distance lens only. or should I get a distance prescription for contacts for playing only (I use to wear contacts but stopped when the combo with reading glasses got too cumbersome). I do not want to waste money if it is not true.

Any thoughts? Zman.
ZMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like baloney to me. Do you find that when you keep your eye on the ball, that you are looking through the lower part of the lens and it is blurry? If so, then yes, it is a problem for you and you should get some distance only glasses.

Do you find that having to rotate your head downwards a little more to put the ball in the distance part of the lens is throwing off your swing? If so, then yes, it is a problem for you and you should get some distance only glasses.

Do you think that the golf gods do not smile on bifocal wearers? If so, then yes, it is a problem for you and you should get some distance only glasses.

Otherwise, it's not a problem.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't play golf, but I find my trifocals to be a total pain in the a** when I try to sweep the floor, rake leaves, anything that involves focusing down near my feet. But I am very nearsighted, so the difference between my distance prescription and my reading prescription may be greater than some glasses wearers.

I have the lined trifocals now, but at one point I had tried to use the "no-line" bifocals and one thing that I just couldn't get used to was that the no-line ones seemed to me to be distorted when I tried to view anything outside of the center section. If my eyes scanned side to side, my vision just wasn't clear enough. To me it felt like I just had a narrow slot (top to bottom) for a sharp view. I found this very disturbing.

Maybe that's why no-line bifocals should not be used for golf, because your eyes need to scan side to side when swinging?

Are there any eye professionals here to "clear" this up?
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #4

ZMAN, I took up golf several years back, and trying to hit a ball wearing bifocals was a real challenge. I got a pair of distance only glasses and I'm much happier.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

ZMAN,
I have the good fortune that my eye doctor is an avid golfer. He fixed me up with a pair of bifocal sun glasses where he moved the bifocal part of the lens as low as he could on the eye piece. This allows me to be able to read the score card (much to my dismay) and allows me to look over the top of the bifocal when on the tee or looking down range, thus eliminating distortion.
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been wearing bi-focals for all of the years I have been playing so I do not know better. I do have a fair amount of body and head movement in my swing but assume it is because I am not good and have yet to groove a real swing. But after 5 years I would assume the number of fairway and tee shanks would be down. So maybe this is the answer for why I cannot get back to the ball cleanly. On the other hand, this could be just another case of that so special magic club, shiny and new that will transform my game. At $200 or so (BJ's) for otherwise useless glasses, I want to be careful.

Zman
Old 06-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #7

Wear bi-focals and usually shoot around bogey golf. Have had two hole in ones, one just last Firday, pure luck I might add too. Have played with and without bi-focals, different days, different results.

My advice is take a lesson and hit range balls.
frayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I don't play with bi-focals. I tried a couple of times, but didn't have much luck. I have a buddy who wears them and he has no problems at all. I think if I put my mind to it, I could adjust. If you have been playing with bi-focals for 5 years, I doubt that is your problem.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I never liked bifocals because the sunglasses were never dark enough. No idea whether they would have screwed up my golf game. I do wear monofocal contacts - the one in my left eye corrected for reading and the one in my right eye corrected for distance. I have no problem hitting the ball square but my game still sucks. But I can wear regular sunglasses and don't have to carry reading glasses everywhere I go.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:28 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you hitting the sole of club into the ball? Making line drive shots? Never take a divot? Are you over 6FT tall and have an upright swing?

If some of these are yes, try having your clubs fit to you or just try a longer shaft length club from tall friend. If not... HOLD YOUR HEAD STILL AND KEEP YOUR EYE IN FOCUS ON THE BALL.

8 handicap with no line transition lenses. Clubs that fit made to most difference in coming down from an 18 handicap.
cashbalancetrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:57 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Cash:

That is me! I am seeing a club-maker teacher this weekend for equipment review and lesson. After the excellent input from all I am sticking with the no-lines. I will spend my $ instead on the magic clubs.

Zman
Old 06-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

When the eye doc told me I needed trifolcals I was shocked. I got no line and they work absolutely perfect. I have never had any trouble at all. I was a lousy golfer before and after.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've had progessive lenses for a few years now with no problems and wide field of view. I have the Definity lenses:
DEFINITY - Golf Clinical Studies
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote