Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
hard to hit a green with a draw - fighting that now with my irons
Dunno... I do it all the time. Now admittedly it is a baby draw.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I've got 6 putters in the closet. The hard part is finding one that is going to work.
Yeah... it's probably not the club.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Golf Question, Getting Fitted for Clubs !
Old 03-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Golf Question, Getting Fitted for Clubs !

Quote:
probably not starting down with your lower body?

My lower back twists like a brick does and causes me trouble. Its all upper body turn. And that is getting hard, lol.... I really only fade driver. Irons to green come in high and no roll. I notice old people cant get ball up in the air at all, and roll it out and on to the green. Something I cant do, but will need to learn somehow.
Speaking of club fitting. I club fitted my putter. About 10 years ago, I found an old flat blade and sawed the shaft in almost half. About a 2 1/2 foot shaft, so I get down low and see the line. I have become the "Boss of the Moss" with this thing. But in 10 years I may not be able to bend over to use it!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Dunno... I do it all the time. Now admittedly it is a baby draw.
i'm not sure i baby anything except when i scuff it lol

i'm going to have to try and slice a few shots again - normally it goes straight for a while then something else happens
Old 03-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been fitted the last few times I bought clubs, and I think it's helped.

~4yrs ago: Fitted for Adams game improvement irons/hybrids. Fitting helped me choose btwn iron sets.

Last year: Fitted for GBB driver & 3-Wood. Driver fitting helped select shaft (light stiff) & loft (+2') & face (draw). 3-Wood fitting helped with loft (+2') & face (draw) so now actually a 4-Wood.

Since I was buying new clubs, the fitting was complimentary.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #46

As PT Barnum put it ! _________________________ Go ahead and fill in the blanks.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:47 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
As PT Barnum put it ! _________________________ Go ahead and fill in the blanks.
Oooooo! Oooooo!

I love the circus too!!!
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:39 PM   #48

If you're buying higher end clubs or better, fitting can be included. Though, when I bought my pings, they didn't make many adjustments. At 5'8", maybe I'm close to average, but none of the clubs were increased/decreased in length. The one thing I'm glad about getting fitted is that at least I know I'm not using clubs that are naturally "bad" for me. I wouldn't know how to tell that without help. Personally, I think a good fitter and a Trackman can improve your game. However, I agree with what others have said, short game is where most of the strokes can be saved and putting is critical. I also agree with a GPS or finding a way to dial in your clubs.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:54 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
i'm not sure i baby anything except when i scuff it lol

i'm going to have to try and slice a few shots again - normally it goes straight for a while then something else happens
Speaking of draws, that was always my shot. A little baby draw except for the driver as it would be more of a pull hook. A firm flex shaft straighten that out for me. But there is a guy who plays in my group who plays for a pull hook off the tee. His feet are lined up way right and he just pulls the crap out of it right down the middle with a lot of run out with the hook. Makes him pretty long off the tee. Works well for him until he plays a dogleg hole to the right.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:55 AM   #50

My brother bought a lie and loft bending machine, and we tweak ours from time to time. I do more loft tweaking,than lie tweaking, trying to close up some of my bigger gaps.

We got to thinking about the lie tweaking that we were doing, all based upon hitting from perfectly level lies, and decided that since most of our shots with irons are hit from some sort of side angle, and probably of greater variation than what we were adjusting, it was probably not very effective.
However, checking that the lies and lofts are following a consistent variation from club to club may be useful.
When my brother bought a new set of Titleist AP1s, supposedly all set up to the specs provided by his pro, they were all over the lot. Not even close.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
My brother bought a lie and loft bending machine, and we tweak ours from time to time. I do more loft tweaking,than lie tweaking, trying to close up some of my bigger gaps.
The Ping service department in Phoenix told me that if you've been using your irons for awhile it's a good idea to have the lofts checked. Pounding a lot balls on the driving range, especially off of mats, can throw off your iron lofts over time. When I'm in Phoenix I sometimes drop my irons off at the Ping facility and they'll check them and make any needed adjustments for free.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote