Join Early Retirement Today

Goodbye to Baloney
Old 05-23-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Goodbye to Baloney

Most Authoritative Report On Colorectal Cancer And Diet Ever Conducted: Links With Meat, Fiber Confirmed
Quote:
For red and processed meat, findings from 10 new cohort studies were added to the 14 included in the 2007 Report. The CUP Expert Panel concluded that there is convincing evidence that both red and processed meat increase colorectal cancer risk.

AICR recommends that people limit consumption to 18 ounces (cooked weight) of red meat a week - roughly the equivalent of five or six small portions of beef, lamb or pork - and avoid processed meat.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'd rather be dead than give up red meat. Looks like I can have it both ways.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #3

But coffee reduces it, right? So if I drink lots of coffee I can eat lots of meat!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #4

It's still my belief that the health dangers of stressing and obsessing about every last morsel you put into your body is probably more damaging, on average, than indulging on anything "edible" can do to you when consumed in moderation. Might I be wrong? Sure. But I doubt any medical study on nutrition (many of which contradict each other) will convince me to completely abstain from anything I enjoy.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
But I doubt any medical study on nutrition (many of which contradict each other) will convince me to completely abstain from anything I enjoy.
Note, this study recommends limiting consumption versus abstaining. If you normally have a couple 1/4 lb burgers and an 8 oz lean cut of beef a few times a week, you're well within the parameters... on the other extreme, if you're eating a 1/2 of meat daily then you might be facing different issues.

Time for me to brew some high-fiber beer and call it good.

eta: We're only a summer sausage away from being able to merge this with the "world-class colonoscopy" thread and being able to claim that red meat prevents colorectal cancer.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
Note, this study recommends limiting consumption versus abstaining.
The quote in the OP said "...and avoid processed meat." Now I don't each much processed meat as it is, but this definitely sounds like encouraging "abstinence" to me.

Quote:
eta: We're only a summer sausage away from being able to merge this with the "world-class colonoscopy" thread and being able to claim that red meat prevents colorectal cancer.
And from that we can connect to bacon -- so the "bacon number" of any food will be less than six, and I don't mean Kevin Bacon.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 05-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The quote in the OP said "...and avoid processed meat." Now I don't each much processed meat as it is, but this definitely sounds like encouraging "abstinence" to me.
wait, but you said enjoy... you like baloney? You know what's in that stuff?

oh, and I need to read over that to see where bacon falls on the study. I mean, if a healthy non-red meat like pork is considered unhealthy once it's cured, fried, and served next to a high-protein food source like eggs then I'm out... no use preaching quackery like that.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #8

Quote:
wait, but you said enjoy... you like baloney? You know what's in that stuff?
Heh. Fair point, but I was speaking more in generalities than about any specific "food". And yes, I put "food" in quotes for a reason.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #9

I went to Ruby Tuesdays the other day with DW. I wanted a hamburger so I ordered the SmokeHouse Burger that comes with Bacon and Cheese. When it arrived I took the first bite and it just didn't taste good as it had a Wheat Bun and it ruined the taste. I asked the waiter for another bun which took over 15 minutes to get. By that time I was about done. Asking the waiter what took so long he sent over the manager. The manager said she was sorry that it took so long and asked how the burger was. I told her about the Bun and she said they switched to Wheat because it was healthier.

What? Let me get the straight, I order a Bacon Cheese Burger with Fries and you want me to be healthy so you give me a Wheat Bun. I couldn't stop laughing. The manager just looked at me and said she'd take the burger off the bill. I guess you had to be there.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
What? Let me get the straight, I order a Bacon Cheese Burger with Fries and you want me to be healthy so you give me a Wheat Bun.
Yep, really stupid - especially when you could achieve the same 'healthy' meal by getting a real bacon cheese burger - and a diet Coke.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep, really stupid - especially when you could achieve the same 'healthy' meal by getting a real bacon cheese burger - and a diet Coke.
Nope, I heard there are real bad things in Diet Coke.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
AICR recommends that people limit consumption to 18 ounces (cooked weight) of red meat a week - roughly the equivalent of five or six small portions of beef, lamb or pork - and avoid processed meat.
That's a LOT of red meat! I try to get some in for variety a few times a week, but a pound and a half is more than I am used to eating. And I am a great proponent of beef too.

I think the take-away from this article is not to avoid beef, but just don't supersize your portions. This would be good advice for ANY kind of food, IMO.

We often go to a particular hamburger place for lunch because they have great chicken Caesar salads as well. The last time I was there, I felt tired of salads and ordered their "Big Easy Burger" instead. It probably had 6 ounces of hamburger meat in it - - it was so heavy!! That is a lot of beef and I felt weighed down afterwards (but it sure got rid of any hamburger cravings I might have had).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's a LOT of red meat! I try to get some in for variety a few times a week, but a pound and a half is more than I am used to eating. And I am a great proponent of beef too.
Not to be picky, but one pound of meat equals 16 oz. So 18 oz is approx. 1.1 pounds of meat...
Old 05-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Not to be picky, but one pound of meat equals 16 oz. So 18 oz is approx. 1.1 pounds of meat...
Good point! Where's that coffee... But anyway, if you ate 1.5 pounds that article would claim that was too much beef.

You could have a quarter pounder with cheese on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and share your quarter pounder with a friend on Friday, and STILL be within their guidelines. (burp!) How boring life would be with that much beef and so little chicken, fish, shrimp, and so on.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

18 oz of red meat per week is not a lot. Went for dinner at The Keg Steakhouse & Bar | Home Page last night. One of my friends had a 12 oz peppercorn steak. I had an 8 oz sirloin steak Oscar. Mmmm!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Good point! Where's that coffee...
At least it was only a miscalculation for meat. Imagine if we were talking about GOLD! Those ounces would really add up...
Old 05-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
18 oz of red meat per week is not a lot. Went for dinner at The Keg Steakhouse & Bar | Home Page last night. One of my friends had a 12 oz peppercorn steak. I had an 8 oz sirloin steak Oscar. Mmmm!
Meadbh, an 8 oz steak is BIG! Did you eat the whole thing? Even with today's large portions sizes, most restaurants I go to offer a 6 oz sirloin (or else I take some home). There's an art to eating out.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
One of my friends had a 12 oz peppercorn steak. I had an 8 oz sirloin steak Oscar. Mmmm!
Recommended protein serving everywhere I've read is around 4oz... so, 8 would be perfect to take half home for breakfast!

Comes back to moderation though... 8oz isn't going to kill you. Heck, 8oz a day probably won't (although I do hear you're at increased risk for colorectal cancer).
Old 05-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I ate the whole thing, including the shrimps and scallops on top! But I probably won't eat red meat for at least the next three or four days. And yes, there is a family history of colorectal cancer. But you gotta live!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
At least it was only a miscalculation for meat.
Well, to be fair to myself I should point out that it wasn't actually a miscalculation at all - - a pound and a half IS more than 18 ounces, and 18 ounces is certainly allowed. So, although a pound and a half isn't allowed it wouldn't really matter if one ate 18 ounces or not. I just didn't make my meaning clear so I probably should go ahead and have that forbidden second cup of coffee.

- - H. Melville, 1851