GoodRX

"Lifting a few regulations" like the completely arbitrary decision to prevent me from filling my prescription from Canada or the UK.
That is for your protection! [emoji23]

That is for your protection!
As I mentioned here before, when I investigated buying drugs from Canada the US government sites warned that Canadian pharmacies were untrustworthy. When I investigated the Canadian government sites they warned that US doctors' prescriptions were untrustworthy. And the cash registers ring on........

Maybe but I'd just go with the idea that they all use pretty much the same suppliers and some pharmacies just make a lot more money off of people's illnesses and misfortunes.

+1

The example you shared presumes that the maximum price set by governments around the world do not allow the company to make a fair profit. I don't believe this is the case. Why would a company sell their product in an environment where they lost money on each sale? Of course they wouldn't. These government limited prices MUST allow for a reasonable profit, or they wouldn't be in that market.

The reason is simple, you see it in your grocery ad every week. Its called a loss leader. How is Kroger selling 1 gallon of 1% milk for $0.99 when all the other grocery stores are selling the same milk for $3.99? To get you in the store and buy their other higher priced items.
Same with a brand name drug sold for less in Canada, Lantus solo star is Sanofi's loss leader its just on a global scale, so they can sell it for a loss in Mexico, or Canada, or at cost in Europe because the 'non price controlled' region will make up for it.

Am I saying that we here in the USA are paying a fair price? No. Am I saying that poor Sanofi isn't making near enough money? No.
I do believe that these drugs are extremely over priced and they could easily bring down the price/costs of the medicine but there is no incentive to do so- the way things stand right now.

As I mentioned here before, when I investigated buying drugs from Canada the US government sites warned that Canadian pharmacies were untrustworthy. When I investigated the Canadian government sites they warned that US doctors' prescriptions were untrustworthy. And the cash registers ring on........

I wouldn't hesitate to get rx's from Canadian pharmacies, just as long as I could verify I was getting them from Canada and not some counterfeiters making the stuff in their bathrooms :facepalm:
So maybe the first trip in person or from a reliable source like one of the Canadian Docs on this board suggesting 'Scripts, Eh?' pharmacy in their hometown :D

US licensed Docs can't write prescriptions for Canada pharmacies, same as Canadian licensed Docs writing for a US pharmacy.

...........US licensed Docs can't write prescriptions for Canada pharmacies, same as Canadian licensed Docs writing for a US pharmacy.
Yet when you buy from a Canadian pharmacy, they ask for a prescription. So, they must have some work around. Maybe an in-house doc who just rewrites the prescriptions?

"Lifting a few regulations" like the completely arbitrary decision to prevent me from filling my prescription from Canada or the UK.

I fully support this as long as you and I would not look to the US govt if there was a quality or performance problem with the drug. We really can't ask for permission to buy from the UK or Canada and then have any expectation whatsoever that the US govt would be involved if we have any sort of issue. I'd be fine with that.........

The reason is simple, you see it in your grocery ad every week. Its called a loss leader. How is Kroger selling 1 gallon of 1% milk for $0.99 when all the other grocery stores are selling the same milk for $3.99? To get you in the store and buy their other higher priced items.
Same with a brand name drug sold for less in Canada, Lantus solo star is Sanofi's loss leader its just on a global scale, so they can sell it for a loss in Mexico, or Canada, or at cost in Europe because the 'non price controlled' region will make up for it.
The grocery store has a legitimate reason to sell milk for $0.99...it's because they know from experience, that once they have you in the store, they, on average, will make up the loss because you buy more than just milk.

I don't see how that works with prescriptions. It's not like if I get a prescription that's manufactured by PharmaX, that means I'll somehow end up buying more from PharmaX. If I'm missing something about the business model, fill me in, but I don't see any motivation that a drug maker would willingly sell a drug at a loss. In other words, if CountryX came and said "The most I'll give you is $1 per pill" and your COGS is $2, why wouldn't you just tell CountryX to take a hike?

The grocery store has a legitimate reason to sell milk for $0.99...it's because they know from experience, that once they have you in the store, they, on average, will make up the loss because you buy more than just milk.

I don't see how that works with prescriptions. It's not like if I get a prescription that's manufactured by PharmaX, that means I'll somehow end up buying more from PharmaX. If I'm missing something about the business model, fill me in, but I don't see any motivation that a drug maker would willingly sell a drug at a loss. In other words, if CountryX came and said "The most I'll give you is $1 per pill" and your COGS is $2, why wouldn't you just tell CountryX to take a hike?
I was wondering the same thing - that explanation does not compute.

I fully support this as long as you and I would not look to the US govt if there was a quality or performance problem with the drug. We really can't ask for permission to buy from the UK or Canada and then have any expectation whatsoever that the US govt would be involved if we have any sort of issue. I'd be fine with that.........
Me, too. The Canadian government protects Canadians who buy from Canadian pharmacies. Why wouldn't I be happy with the same quality as a Canadian?

Me, too. The Canadian government protects Canadians who buy from Canadian pharmacies. Why wouldn't I be happy with the same quality as a Canadian?
First, mayo on fries is good. Second, I have no idea was that other thing is.

But I have no illusions that the US government is better at protecting it's citizens from phamafoul than most other first world countries. In fact, since the Americans can be bought relatively easily, I'd trust them less.

other pet meds options

I was buying pet meds for several years for my aging shepherd who passed last year. I found I could get good prices at the following places in addition to using GoodRx

1. Sam's Club Pharmacy -- give them a call ahead of time - I was surprised at how many things they had (with good prices).

2. 1-800-pet meds -- google for a discount coupon first (www.retailmenot.com)

3. PetCare Rx -- same as number 2.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom