Join Early Retirement Today

Google trying to help us live longer?
Old 09-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
Administrator

Google trying to help us live longer?

Google is now in the healthcare business. Google launches healthcare company Calico to extend life - latimes.com
Quote:
The technology giant said Wednesday that it's a major investor in a venture that would work on combating aging and disease. But Google declined to provide any more details on how the venture would operate or what it would do.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like some ambitious though great goals - - personally I would love to live longer and not suffer from diseases.

I don't know that Google is the best organization to tackle such ambitious goals, but I wish them the best of luck.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...personally I would love to live longer and not suffer from diseases...
That could wreak havoc with your SWR, though...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sounds like some ambitious though great goals - - personally I would love to live longer and not suffer from diseases.

I don't know that Google is the best organization to tackle such ambitious goals, but I wish them the best of luck.
I think Steve Jobs' death made the other guys realize they might not live forever so they think they can i.vent an app for that.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Scientists have imagined, then essentially proved the existence of super massive black holes and tiny Higgs boson.
Altering genes to lengthen telomeres and extend life should be well within their grasp with that track record. I think quantity will prove easier than the quality/distribution side of the equation.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Scientists have imagined, then essentially proved the existence of super massive black holes and tiny Higgs boson.
Altering genes to lengthen telomeres and extend life should be well within their grasp with that track record. I think quantity will prove easier than the quality/distribution side of the equation.
Maybe...but astrophysicists also invented dark energy and dark matter when their equations didn't work out and still haven't proved either, and we don't understand how stem cells work, what causes cancer, etc.
Seems the more we learn the less we know...I'm with you on the quality side.
Personally I think it's a tax write-off of some sort....
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Telomeres, yea I have to exercise them a little more, maybe warm up a bit longer.:-)
Old 09-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Maybe...but astrophysicists also invented dark energy and dark matter when their equations didn't work out and still haven't proved either, and we don't understand how stem cells work, what causes cancer, etc.
Seems the more we learn the less we know...I'm with you on the quality side.
Personally I think it's a tax write-off of some sort....
Yes, but geneticists are dealing with something real - DNA. They have only been cutting and pasting for a relatively short amount of time. I think the first really big breakthrough will come at the level of conception. Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Telomeres, yea I have to exercise them a little more, maybe warm up a bit longer.:-)
I too am working on my own personal quality of life extention experiment. Just got back from a 6 mile run.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote