Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Google trying to help us live longer?
Old 09-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,445
Google trying to help us live longer?

Google is now in the healthcare business. Google launches healthcare company Calico to extend life - latimes.com
Quote:
The technology giant said Wednesday that it's a major investor in a venture that would work on combating aging and disease. But Google declined to provide any more details on how the venture would operate or what it would do.
__________________

__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,855
Sounds like some ambitious though great goals - - personally I would love to live longer and not suffer from diseases.

I don't know that Google is the best organization to tackle such ambitious goals, but I wish them the best of luck.
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...personally I would love to live longer and not suffer from diseases...
That could wreak havoc with your SWR, though...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sounds like some ambitious though great goals - - personally I would love to live longer and not suffer from diseases.

I don't know that Google is the best organization to tackle such ambitious goals, but I wish them the best of luck.
I think Steve Jobs' death made the other guys realize they might not live forever so they think they can i.vent an app for that.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
bjorn2bwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Western US
Posts: 690
Scientists have imagined, then essentially proved the existence of super massive black holes and tiny Higgs boson.
Altering genes to lengthen telomeres and extend life should be well within their grasp with that track record. I think quantity will prove easier than the quality/distribution side of the equation.
__________________
How's it going to end..............
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
teejayevans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Scientists have imagined, then essentially proved the existence of super massive black holes and tiny Higgs boson.
Altering genes to lengthen telomeres and extend life should be well within their grasp with that track record. I think quantity will prove easier than the quality/distribution side of the equation.
Maybe...but astrophysicists also invented dark energy and dark matter when their equations didn't work out and still haven't proved either, and we don't understand how stem cells work, what causes cancer, etc.
Seems the more we learn the less we know...I'm with you on the quality side.
Personally I think it's a tax write-off of some sort....
__________________
teejayevans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
grasshopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Scientists have imagined, then essentially proved the existence of super massive black holes and tiny Higgs boson.
Altering genes to lengthen telomeres and extend life should be well within their grasp with that track record. I think quantity will prove easier than the quality/distribution side of the equation.
Telomeres, yea I have to exercise them a little more, maybe warm up a bit longer.:-)
__________________
For me experiences are not good or bad, just different
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
bjorn2bwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Western US
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Maybe...but astrophysicists also invented dark energy and dark matter when their equations didn't work out and still haven't proved either, and we don't understand how stem cells work, what causes cancer, etc.
Seems the more we learn the less we know...I'm with you on the quality side.
Personally I think it's a tax write-off of some sort....
Yes, but geneticists are dealing with something real - DNA. They have only been cutting and pasting for a relatively short amount of time. I think the first really big breakthrough will come at the level of conception. Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Telomeres, yea I have to exercise them a little more, maybe warm up a bit longer.:-)
I too am working on my own personal quality of life extention experiment. Just got back from a 6 mile run.
__________________

__________________
How's it going to end..............
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:50 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.