Join Early Retirement Today

Got whooping cough booster today
Old 07-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Got whooping cough booster today

I took a booster today of adult type tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine since it had been over 10 years. In adults with a cough lasting more than 2-3 weeks, 1 in 4 may have adult whooping cough. This "childhood" disease is not just for kids.

Clues: cold-like symptoms followed by weeks of a cough that comes in jags, is so forceful that it almost can make you gag (hack, hack, hack, gag, spew for the musically-inclined), and just doesn't go away for weeks. Many seem like asthma and in fact might be temporary bronchial spasm after a flu-like illness. But many are whooping cough (pertussis).

One booster after age 50 is probably all you need ever (assuming you had the primary series decades ago). Won't worry about those nicks, cuts and punctures I get working in the garden either. I think it's good medicine.

Other vaccines for the seniors: I think quite a few primary care docs get lax about immunizations in adults. Next up is zoster vaccine (for shingles) after age 60 but I'm gonna watch that research for a while. I don't trust Merck's post-marketing surveillance so I'll wait for the CDC to monitor it a while. Pneumococcal vaccine after age 60 has proven save and modestly effective but not as much as had been hoped for. I'll probably take it. As a health care provider I've had hepatitis B vaccine.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I took a booster today of adult type tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine since it had been over 10 years. In adults with a cough lasting more than 2-3 weeks, 1 in 4 may have adult whooping cough. This "childhood" disease is not just for kids.

Clues: cold-like symptoms followed by weeks of a cough that comes in jags, is so forceful that it almost can make you gag (hack, hack, hack, gag, spew for the musically-inclined), and just doesn't go away for weeks. Many seem like asthma and in fact might be temporary bronchial spasm after a flu-like illness. But many are whooping cough (pertussis).

One booster after age 50 is probably all you need ever (assuming you had the primary series decades ago). Won't worry about those nicks, cuts and punctures I get working in the garden either. I think it's good medicine.

Other vaccines for the seniors: I think quite a few primary care docs get lax about immunizations in adults. Next up is zoster vaccine (for shingles) after age 60 but I'm gonna watch that research for a while. I don't trust Merck's post-marketing surveillance so I'll wait for the CDC to monitor it a while. Pneumococcal vaccine after age 60 has proven save and modestly effective but not as much as had been hoped for. I'll probably take it. As a health care provider I've had hepatitis B vaccine.
I've never had a doc recommend a whooping cough vaccine. I'll ask him about it. Keep us up to date on the shingles vaccine. I'm still a young pup but when I reach 60, I'm more than willing to take it if it's effective.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:59 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, Rich. I never thought of that.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I've never had a doc recommend a whooping cough vaccine. I'll ask him about it. Keep us up to date on the shingles vaccine. I'm still a young pup but when I reach 60, I'm more than willing to take it if it's effective.
Odds are you have had it - adults who get tetanus vaccine usually get it as a diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis combination. The brand name is "Adacel."

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If you have had pertussis can you get it again? I have had it and did not think to ask.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
If you have had pertussis can you get it again?
Yes - immunity wanes over decades. The newer vaccine contains "acellular" pertussis which does not cause the disease itself (some vaccines and smallpox actually cause a mild form of the disease being vaccinated against, or a disease similar to it).

Old 07-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Odds are you have had it - adults who get tetanus vaccine usually get it as a diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis combination. The brand name is "Adacel."
My wife got a tetanus shot a few weeks ago. They offered her one with the combo or just straight tetanus. The doc didn't exactly go out of his way to explain the difference (quote "it's got a little something extra in it to make it more powerful")... good thing she ended up going with the combo I guess.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

In my 20s & 30s I used to hear the following at least once a year: "That'll probably leave a scar, and you're going to want to get a tetanus booster..."

I wonder if they were actually DPT. I'll add that to the "Age 50" list, just slightly ahead of "colonoscopy".*

* Here, REWahoo, lemme get that for you: "Of course a colonoscopy is slightly behind everything else!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
In my 20s & 30s I used to hear the following at least once a year: "That'll probably leave a scar, and you're going to want to get a tetanus booster..."

I wonder if they were actually DPT. I'll add that to the "Age 50" list, just slightly ahead of "colonoscopy".*

* Here, REWahoo, lemme get that for you: "Of course a colonoscopy is slightly behind everything else!"
Unlikely. The recommendation to give the DPT is only about a year old - and it took our pharmacy a year to stock it . The old regular "tetanus" booster was DT (diptheria and tetanus).

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had my yearly physical a couple of days ago and my doc recommended it at the time. Glad to see she's up on it (but then, she rocks). DH and I will go in for it in a couple of weeks, as soon as she figures out if all of our recent power outages have messed up her stored vaccines.

Rich, any difference in Merck's "recommendation" for the shingles vaccine if you have / haven't had chickenpox? I'm too lazy to go quiz PubMed and read the literature.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Rich, any difference in Merck's "recommendation" for the shingles vaccine if you have / haven't had chickenpox? I'm too lazy to go quiz PubMed and read the literature.
My understanding (see if your doctor agrees) is that most people who swear they never had chicken pox actually did (in fact almost all of us did before the pediatric vaccine became available). They just didn't get the rash and passed it off as a cold. You can tell by checking a blood test, but the cost of doing that combined with the fact that almost everyone tests positive led to the alternate strategy of just immunizing all adults who don't have contraindications.

If you were born before 1980 (and are not either pregnant nor a health care provider) you can presume you had chicken pox. If you are in one of the other groups, you can check a blood test and proceed accordingly.

Here is a general immunization link - click on the MMWR link (kind of technical).

Old 07-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
My understanding (see if your doctor agrees) is that most people who swear they never had chicken pox actually did (in fact almost all of us did before the pediatric vaccine became available). They just didn't get the rash and passed it off as a cold. You can tell by checking a blood test, but the cost of doing that combined with the fact that almost everyone tests positive led to the alternate strategy of just immunizing all adults who don't have contraindications.

If you were born before 1980 (and are not either pregnant nor a health care provider) you can presume you had chicken pox. If you are in one of the other groups, you can check a blood test and proceed accordingly.

Here is a general immunization link - click on the MMWR link (kind of technical).

Thank you for that link.

Can you give advice on how to find a doctor or a hospital?
Old 07-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #13

Rich
We got our shingles vacine last month. No side effects.
However, we did a surprise the medical practice practically forced us to go to a pharmacy to get it. Only trouble insurance did not cover when administered by pharmarcy. DW and both use the same clinic but different practioners. I kinda push the question when I got mine and the clinic did it. But when DW asked for her, she was told no-way! My doc should not have done mine and no more shots would be done in the clinic--they would write the perscription but you had to have the pharmacy administered. Since the shingles vacine is $200, a bit of hit given it would have been covered if the clinic would have done. Is this a trend for all immunizations?
I am not sure if I should be upset with my clnic management or the insurance company--any guideance?
Thanks

Nwsteve
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Thank you for that link.

Can you give advice on how to find a doctor or a hospital?
I can help.

dayton ohio hospitals - Google Search
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:22 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Rich
We got our shingles vacine last month. No side effects.
However, we did a surprise the medical practice practically forced us to go to a pharmacy to get it. ...
I am not sure if I should be upset with my clnic management or the insurance company--any guideance?
In yet another perverse flaw in our health care reimbursement system, it sounds as if your doctor's office basically lost money every time they gave a zoster shot. At $200 a pop, they probably paid $140; add the cost of storage, record-keeping, additional personnel cost and a likely reimbursement (MC and Medicaid) of perhaps $110, it becomes like the old comic routine: they lost $40 each shot, but make it up in volume. What can they do?

I've been in private practice (a long time ago) and remember such issues. They are much worse now. Vote carefully in November, though it is not clear to me who will have the most coherent plan.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Wow, glad you posted that - I've had exactly those symptoms for about three weeks but it's now going away. Guess I'll call my doc anyway and ask. I figured it was just a cold that was taking longer than normal to get better.

I'm just not one to call the doc for every sniffle.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:11 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I have exactly the symptoms you describe. She went to the doc and was prescribed antibiotics (without a culture though we've both hacked up purulent looking stuff). We both feel better after a few weeks of it playing tennis, biking and the like but still fall into the violent cooughing jags several times a day. Is it just a matter of letting the immune system fight it off?
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:19 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Once you're a few weeks into it, antibiotics probably have limited benefit, but the usual 5% side-effect rate. Pertussis rarely causes serious long term effects in otherwise healthy adults.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:45 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Wow, glad you posted that - I've had exactly those symptoms for about three weeks but it's now going away. Guess I'll call my doc anyway and ask. I figured it was just a cold that was taking longer than normal to get better.

I'm just not one to call the doc for every sniffle.
Glad to hear that you are starting to feel better!! Three weeks of a bad cough like that sounds miserable.

Thursday I developed a minor cough and chest congestion, which is not bad but is making me feel more sympathetic than usual.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
I took a booster today of adult type tetanus-diphtheria-pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine since it had been over 10 years. .
I just got a re-vaccine also a few days ago. I was advised that this combo (Tdip?) is the only way that they can administer tetanus. No more Tetanus only is produced. Is this true?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote