Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No flu shot yet. We'll see.

The estimate is that 90% of people reporting that they have not had chicken pox will prove to have antibodies to the virus (they actually did have an infection at some point). Getting the vaccine could still reduce the risk of getting shingles in those who are 'immune'.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #22

DW and I got the flu shot at costco last week...$15 each. They also have the shingles shot, and I mentioned that DW should get it because she's had it. Pharmacist said that if you've had shingles, the vaccine doesn't help against future episodes. Anyone have info/advice on that?

R

Old 10-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
DW and I got the flu shot at costco last week...$15 each. They also have the shingles shot, and I mentioned that DW should get it because she's had it. Pharmacist said that if you've had shingles, the vaccine doesn't help against future episodes. Anyone have info/advice on that?

R
To quote the Harvard Health Study,

The shingles vaccine - Harvard Health Publications

"No study has been done that shows the vaccine prevents second episodes". In other words, we just don't know, yet.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #24

Yes, you can get shingles twice and you should still get the vaccine if you have already had shingles. I would certainly get it in that situation.

To address someone else's comment, the shingles vaccine does not prevent shingles, but it attenuates the probability and attenuates the symptoms.

Another question about age: the CDC was going to change recommendation to 50 and over instead of 60 and over, but they waited due to shortage of the vaccine. But there is benefit for 50 and over. The latest studies that came in for the vaccine (including large Kaiser study) were very encouraging.

You can google the CDC shingles vaccine web page.

It is probably the most important vaccine you can get as an adult because the probability of getting shingles is so high (perhaps 30% of adults will get it) and the consequences can be so devastating.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:46 AM   #25

On recurrent shingles and the vaccine, this is what the CDC seems to say (not entirely committal, similarly to what MeadBH posted). I would add that there is a dearth of studies about recurrent shingles. I suspect that future studies will show a palliative effect from the vaccine.

Vaccines: VPD-VAC/Shingles/Shingles (Herpes zoster) Vaccination: What You Need to Know

Even if you have had shingles, you can still receive the shingles vaccine to help prevent future occurrences of the disease. There is no specific time that you must wait after having shingles before receiving the shingles vaccine. The decision on when to get vaccinated should be made with your health care provider. Generally, a person should make sure that the shingles rash has disappeared before getting vaccinated.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Got my flu shot at Harris Teeter the other day. Looks like I have to see the doc to get a pneumonia shot now that I hit 65. Anybody know how useful that one is?
Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

My doc suggested Shingles shot and I am 57. I get flu shot every year.

Question, how often does one get the shingles shot?
Old 10-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
My doc suggested Shingles shot and I am 57. I get flu shot every year.

Question, how often does one get the shingles shot?
It is a one-time only vaccination.

I guess that is another thing going in favor of it.

Very roughly: reduces your chances of getting shingles by about 50%. More importantly, reduces your chances of getting the most severe form by about 75%. And it attenuates the symptoms when you do get it.

The protection is more valuable as you get older because, on average, the severity of a typical shingles case increases with age and the probability of you getting it in any given year increases with age.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #29

DW made the appointment for both of us for this week. She had shingles in her early fifties. Very painful.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Got the Flu shot yesterday (sore arm), but I am not convinced that the Shingles vaccination is such a good idea. My Dr. usually tells us what we need to prevent, and she has not said that Shingles vac. is recommended. I am not a do-it-yourself physician, so I will wait until Dr. says so.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudu Beer View Post
Got the Flu shot yesterday (sore arm), but I am not convinced that the Shingles vaccination is such a good idea. My Dr. usually tells us what we need to prevent, and she has not said that Shingles vac. is recommended. I am not a do-it-yourself physician, so I will wait until Dr. says so.
Have you asked about it?
Old 10-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudu Beer View Post
You are assuming your doctor is aware of all the facts and is able to make the best judgment for you. Neither condition may apply; trust me, I'm a doctor!

The same goes for financial advisors, auto mechanics, plumbers, and other "experts". My motto is "trust but verify".
Old 10-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #33

My doctor hasn't mentioned it to me, either. That has no bearing on whether I'm going to get it, though. He also has never told me to get a flu shot.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like at least a couple of you have doctors who don't recommend much of anything to you. Why bother visiting them? The research shows routine physicals are a waste of time. If your doc isn't even going to alert you to consider a well regarded standard vaccine what use is (s)he? But I'll bet the doc has you on statins.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Point taken... guess I will ask :-)
Old 10-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Another consideration is that the shingles shot is expensive ($200+) and not all insurance policies pay for it. If you're in a position to get it paid for you may want to do it now.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #37

Got my flu shot last week at CVS MinuteClinic. I have started going there for all minor things (vaccines, ear wax, pink eye, etc.) - close to home, no appointment and have never waited more than 20 minutes.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I got my flu shot a few weeks ago during my annual physical.

The nursed asked..."Do you want a flu shot?". I said no.

Then when I saw the doc, he said, "I see you declined a flu shot?" so I said.."Okay, give me one."
Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Got mine yesterday as part of routine Dr. appointment. I meant to ask about shingles but got side tracked on ACA discussion. He said they weren't sure about every plan(only 2 payers here). He did say that the hospital he's associated with may not take 'low end' plans. He reassured me I was grandfathered in to his pratice. I couldn't get a definition of what a low end plan meant.

MRG
Old 10-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #40

DW and I both got it today.

I asked about a shingles vaccination, they don't keep those at the office because it has to be kept frozen (they don't have a refrigerator?) so I asked if there was any reason not to get it at the drugstore or pharmacy at the grocery store and was told there is no reason not to. So I'll do that.