Join Early Retirement Today

Got your flu shot?
Old 10-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got your flu shot?

DH and I went up to our local Walgreens and got our flu shots today. Our pharmacist, who we like very much, mentioned a possible disruption in the dissemination of flu vaccines due to the Govt shutdown. Something she heard from Walgreen HQ we think.

Might be better to be safe and get your vaccine soon rather than later.

Hoping none of you get the flu this year!

Purron
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Got mine a couple of weeks ago. It didn't help last year but I guess that's just the way it goes.
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got mine at my PCP's office about 2.5 weeks ago (had to make an appointment but the nurse just took me into a side room off the waiting room to administer the vaccine...no paperwork or co-pay). I am amazed by how many of my acquaintances forego the seasonal flu vaccine believing that they can get the flu from it, or that getting vaccines is some massive conspiracy by big pharma to boost profits.

I don't believe I have ever had the flu. Knock wood.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #4

Got mine last week at CVS. No charge under my insurance. Last year, for the first time in 36 years, I failed to get one, and then they ran out. I was worried about it all the rest of the season. Not gonna let that happen again! I suppose the next thing I need is the shingles vaccine.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got both the flu shot in one arm and the shingles vaccine in the other. Ins. Covered both so get them both done.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Got mine last week at CVS. No charge under my insurance. Last year, for the first time in 36 years, I failed to get one, and then they ran out. I was worried about it all the rest of the season. Not gonna let that happen again! I suppose the next thing I need is the shingles vaccine.
Asked about the shingles vaccine today. It's recommended at 60 so DH and I have a couple of years to go. Will get it then - saw my father in law go through shingles and it was very painful.

BTW, we also got our first pneumonia vaccine today at the advice of our pharmacist. Both this and the flu vaccine were covered by our insurance. No averse reaction thus far from either vaccine - flu or pneumonia.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
Administrator

My flu shot appointment is tomorrow at 0915 sharp. I plan to be there.

I do have a question about shingles. Can you get it if you never had chicken pox as a child?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: shingles vaccine. Although they officially recommend at 60, I just asked my doctor for a prescription which she gave (at age 57). (I don't have any particular risk factor, I just wanted it sooner rather than later. I had also read about recent research saying there were significant benefits for anyone over 50, and FDA has approved it for use in populations 50-59 yo). Anyway, with prescription in hand, they administered in at my local Safeway just like the flu shot -- and without any co-pay.
smurray5991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I do have a question about shingles. Can you get it if you never had chicken pox as a child?
No. If you never had chickenpox you cannot get shingles.

Unfortunately I understand you can have a very mild case of chickenpox as a child and never really know you had it.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

And of course, if you haven't ever had chicken pox as a child, you can get that as an adult (It's rare for adults, but 80+ year old Barbara Walters got it earlier this year!!!). Fortunately there's a vaccine for that as well, so you might want to check that out.
smurray5991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Unfortunately I understand you can have a very mild case of chickenpox as a child and never really know you had it.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. When I was young, all the mothers in the neighborhood would send their kids to the house of someone with chicken pox, so that their kids would catch it and be done with it. It worked for my brother and sister, but to the best of my knowledge, I never caught it. I wonder if there is a test to determine whether I had an undetectable case. I would think there are some antibodies running around still.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #12

Yesterday, I went to Ralphs Grocery Store for bananas and came out with bananas and a flu shot. No line, very easy form to fill out and Medicare paid for it. So, thanks, you guys for kicking in. Also got into a conversation with a fellow shopper wearing a Steelers sweatshirt (Steelers finally won a game earlier in the day). I don't know his name, but he's the big guy on the show, Mike and Molly. I think he's Mike.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks for the info. When I was young, all the mothers in the neighborhood would send their kids to the house of someone with chicken pox, so that their kids would catch it and be done with it. It worked for my brother and sister, but to the best of my knowledge, I never caught it. I wonder if there is a test to determine whether I had an undetectable case. I would think there are some antibodies running around still.
Interesting question. Meadbh probably has a boatload of information to share on this subject.

Chickenpox/shingles is an interesting disease. Apparently once you've had chickenpox, repeated exposure to someone with the disease increases your immunity to coming down with shingles.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

+1
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wonder if there is a test to determine whether I had an undetectable case. I would think there are some antibodies running around still.
You betcha.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting question. Meadbh probably has a boatload of information to share on this subject.
LOL! Don't you know about brain atrophy after ER?

Quote:
Chickenpox/shingles is an interesting disease. Apparently once you've had chickenpox, repeated exposure to someone with the disease increases your immunity to coming down with shingles.
Depressed immunity due to stress and other illness is probably more important.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #17

Case in point.
I'm certain I never had chicken pox. Yet I got a horrible case of shingles in my mid-50s. Asked my doc and he said that it's not uncommon to have chicken pox with no symptoms.

Needless to say, I got the vaccine to prevent a recurrence. It's a VERY painful disease.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #18
Administrator

Thank you, Meadbh. I may raise this issue with my physician when I see him next, since I do not relish the prospect of either chicken pox or shingles.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #19
Administrator

I got my flu shot a couple of weeks while in the Doc's for something else. Need to remind DW to go get hers. In our circle of friends here we will probably be in the minority again. Lots of fear of vaccine side effects
Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #20

Never get a flu shot. Never been a problem.