Gotta brag - My first Triathlon

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
...albeit a humble brag. I finished a sprint Triathlon (1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike, 3.1 mile run) in a VERY slow time. But I did finish. Course was extremely challenging so combined with age (60 years 2 days), and being a first-timer made for a slow finish time.
But I think I'm hooked. I may do another one in 3 weeks!

Congratulations! You have every right to brag.

Well done!!

Congrats, this is really something to be proud of.

Ha

Awesome! It looks like I have something to look forward to when I reach age 60. :)

Congrats! And wanting to do another one is great.

Congrats! I want to try one as well, but worry about the swim. I run a lot, bike some, but rarely have a chance to swim, so when I do swim I find myself huffing and puffing pretty quickly. That said, I "experimented" with the tri last September, doing it on my own, not in an event. The distances were similar, except that I did a couple extra miles on the bike, trying to emulate the distances of an annual tri near my home in CA. I'd be curious how your times went, if you care to share.

R

Mystang: awesome and inspiring!

I played golf last weekend with an older gentleman who definitely appeared to be in great shape. As we were chatting, he said he just completed a Trialthalon the day before in 110 degrees. Oh yeah, he's 68!

You guys are incredible and are keeping me motivated.

Brag away. I am 56 and while I could do the 10 mile bike that would be it for me... Wish I could finish the rest in no matter what time... I hope when I am 60+ that I still can do the bike...

Amazing. I am 2/3 your age and would still consider that a great accomplishment. Congrats. I also run and bike quite a bit and am trying to work up the courage to enter my first duathlon (probably an offroad one. Trail run/mountain bike/Trail run).
Unfortunately, a triathlon is out of the question for me as I can't swim. Actually, to be truthful, I can't float. All the waterborne properties of a cement block.

I'd be curious how your times went, if you care to share.

Here's an advantage, in these races, to getting older. My 2:15 finish time placed 3rd in my age division!
COED REVOLUTIONARY TRI MALE AGES 60 TO 64
PLACE RUNNER'S NAME CITY/TOWN AGE SX OVERALL (#) TIME
1.Charles Minnaar Chester,NJ 61 M 110 723 1:31:26.12
2.Stuart Shoengold Livingston,NJ 62 M 194 721 1:49:54.00
3.Glenn Salka Fair Lawn,NJ 60 M 233 722 2:15:44.71

Congrats. Just making the distance is an accomplishment ! I did one a few years ago at age 52 and it was tough ! I fell out of shape but am back working out with a goal of doing one in June of 2013. It's lots of fun and a great challenge !

Congratulations Mystang, that is a great achievement, something indeed worth bragging about.

My first Triathlon?

I thought that you meant eat, drink, and be merry! :LOL: (that's the only one I ever completed - most days since I'm retired...)

Mystang, thanks for sharing. My brother was a tri-athlete and I know just how much of an accomplishment that is. Congratulations!

Great job. I think doing something like this would be fun. You've given me a new goal to shoot for.

Way to keep rocking it at 60.

Congrats, that is awesome:dance:

Congrats mystang from a fellow triathlete. Keep up the good work! I was talking to another triathlete a few days ago that hates the swim - but loves the variety of exercise. It's the variety that keeps us in shape without making us insane.

Wow, Mystang! That is very impressive! Incredible! Congratulations!

What an inspiration.:)

I'd be curious how your times went, if you care to share.

Here's an advantage, in these races, to getting older. My 2:15 finish time placed 3rd in my age division!
COED REVOLUTIONARY TRI MALE AGES 60 TO 64
PLACE RUNNER'S NAME CITY/TOWN AGE SX OVERALL (#) TIME
1.Charles Minnaar Chester,NJ 61 M 110 723 1:31:26.12
2.Stuart Shoengold Livingston,NJ 62 M 194 721 1:49:54.00
3.Glenn Salka Fair Lawn,NJ 60 M 233 722 2:15:44.71

Thanks Mystang, good job!

R

Back in the late 80's or early 90's I was the bike leg of a 3 man triathalon team. the third year our swimmer bailed out and so did the runner. Silly me I thought - what the heck, we paid the entry fee I may as well try to do the whole thing. WOW what a humbling experience. The mile swim in Lake Erie off the downtown Cleveland shore line was enough to do me in. Yup I had to get hauled back to shore by the jet ski patrol after about 4/10 of a mile. Truth be told I was exhausted after treading water for 5 minutes at the start rope.

I have always wanted to try again, I am jealous of your drive to complete this awesome event!

Back
Top Bottom