Gotta lose some LB's

dmpi said:
At first I thought you were going to hold hands for the whole marathon. But I see you mean something different. I once saw a couple holding hands on mile 20. I wanted so much to run right between them! :)

Icky. No hand holding. ::) Mr. Sheryl runs 4 miles to every 3 of mine, so we'd have to have really long arms. :LOL:

Nords said:
One of the big problems with working is that it's tough to find the time to eat, let alone to eat healthy or frequent small meals.

No kidding. I kept putting off exercise and weight loss while waiting for my current job to become less stressful. After a couple of years it finally dawned on me that my job may never get less stressful. I could slave away towards FIRE and then by the time I got there my health could be in total shambles. I might give a lot of time to MegaCorp but I wasn't willing to give them my health as well! So I re-prioritized my life so that my health came before my job and I spent the next 1-1/2 years losing 50+ pounds and adopting healthy eating habits. Like Buckeye, I have to eat a lot (6 mini meals a day) to stay in control.

The funny thing is that I rationalized my prior behavior by saying that I didn't want my job performance to suffer while I focused on getting healthy. The truth was that I performed even better on the job during and after the weight loss . . . .

Sheryl said:
Icky. No hand holding. ::) Mr. Sheryl runs 4 miles to every 3 of mine, so we'd have to have really long arms. :LOL:

The couple that plays together stays together. This morning in the gym I saw an old couple- like early to mid eighties- in the weight room. Laid end to end I doubt they would be 10 feet long. Standing together on the scale, they likely would not top 200#.

They went around together, mostly using DBs, the lady smiling at everyone.

Later I went up to the track to walk off my leg soreness, and they were walking. Then the guy broke into a really smooth easy run with good speed. I was alongside the woman, and I told her that her husband had a beautiful running form. She spoke to me in a strong old-country Scandinavian accent, and told me that when they were first married 61 years ago, her husband was a logger. But he loved running so much that he would get up at 5 to run before work. As if logging weren't physical enough!

She said he has kept up running ever since then.

Ha

simple weight loss formula EAT LESS/ MOVE MORE

done!

HaHa said:
She spoke to me in a strong old-country Scandinavian accent, and told me that when they were first married 61 years ago, her husband was a logger. But he loved running so much that he would get up at 5 to run before work. As if logging weren't physical enough!

She said he has kept up running ever since then.

Ha

What a sweet story. My dad is still doing his work out at the gym 3x a week, and "doing" his mile - in 15 minutes. I'm not sure if that's a fast walk or a really slow jog, but at 79 y.o. I'm proud of him. He said he thinks his peak fitness level was in his early 60's and he bemoans every downward step, but keeps at it. Unfortutunately his wife isn't healthy enough to join him anymore.

This is a very important topic...thanks to all who have shared so far. What good is it to finally ER only to be a 300 pound blimp who can't do anything!

I came to this realization about a year ago, and have since lost about 40 pounds. I also have shifted to a much healthier diet. Two resources that have helped me are: information at the "caloriesperhour.com" website, and the "Eat to Live" book by Dr. Fuhrman. ETL is a more strict diet than I eat, and I don't follow it 100%, but I still got lots of good information from it.

Cheers....Mike

Mountain_Mike said:
This is a very important topic...thanks to all who have shared so far. What good is it to finally ER only to be a 300 pound blimp who can't do anything!

I came to this realization about a year ago, and have since lost about 40 pounds. I also have shifted to a much healthier diet. Two resources that have helped me are: information at the "caloriesperhour.com" website, and the "Eat to Live" book by Dr. Fuhrman. ETL is a more strict diet than I eat, and I don't follow it 100%, but I still got lots of good information from it.

Cheers....Mike

I always like to re-read Fit for Life, by Marilyn Diamond and her husband........pretty easy "diet":

All fruit before lunch
Healthy lunch
Dinner can have some "bad stuff" as long as good stuff is included......

They look at how your body digests stuff, and how that adds up to fat storage:

Protein plus mega starch? Not so good

Lean protein plus steamed veggies? Much better

mathjak107 said:
simple weight loss formula EAT LESS/ MOVE MORE

done!
While I agree with the "move more' part, I think your equation does not work in the long term. Sure, you can lose a few pound short term, but over the long term an individuals body weight is much more complicated than mere calories and exercise. It is about genetics, emotions, they type of foods that you eat, when you eat, how many meals per day, etc...

That being said, walking at least 30 minutes daily is probably the one thing that everyone can benefit from.

Back
Top Bottom